Tuesday, October 30, 2007
These have been done, but I have just been too busy to type up the info on them and I finally got someone to take pics for me.
~Wanna hear about it?!? ~Here's how it goes! :o)
Pattern: Fetching Fingerless Gloves. Which I like to refer to them as my Red Brickhouse Mitts :oD
They count as one of my Fingerless Mitts Fall KAL and Fall Cable KAL 2007 submission, check both sites out!
Size: One size
Time: A very quick knit!
Needles: Denise US 5
I went down a needle size, and I really wish I had used Addis on these instead for the magic looping.
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in #610, 1.25 balls
I was looking at how much yarn I had leftover after the first mitt
and was glad I bought the 2nd ball and did not knit these up two at a time (just manageability would have not been ideal for me on this particular project). I still have a lot of yarn leftover and will probably use it for baby booties.
I do not like this yarn. I have worn these gloves all of 3 times (once outside) and they are already looking worn out and fuzzy. As y'all know - where there is fuzz there will soon be nasty little balls! Ugh!
It is like an "ashy" fuzz. I don't like that. I won't be knitting up in this yarn again. And I am now a little concerned about my caplet, since it was in the DB superchunky, how that will hold up.
Cost: Since I purchased two balls as a precaution (which I am glad I did) and got it at a 24% discount on both balls together only costed me $14. This definitely could be done cheaper with a different yarn selection, which I would recommend since I am not liking the 'wearability' of this yarn.
What I learned:
How to make a thumb hole for a mitt! :oD The whole waste yarn trick and picking up stitches was an interesting adventure! Haha! As you may remember the little surgery I did :o) It was a good challenge!
And I know I still didn't pick up those stitches correctly. The pattern calls for you to pick up two extra stitches on both sides for the thumb in addition to the live ones.
I picked up way more than that to try and avoid the "holes". I even knitted in the back of those stitches on the 1st round.
I would eventually like to graduate and make some real gloves without this pesky little problem coming back up.
Because I had picked up extra stitches, I forgot to decrease back down to the correct number I needed to be at on the 1st mitt (but I remembered on the 2nd one). So I have some extra thumb room there!I also learned how to do a picot edge (and the cable cast-on during that process).
Even though the directions were written plain as day! I was making it waaay harder than it needed to be for this bind off edge!
Robin helped me by breaking it down like H-2-0 over e-mail :op And Adrienne sent me a great link to a video on how to do it (do y'all know how hard it is to find this demonstrated on video!). Thank you ladies for always being my "go to e-help" and being so on it! :o)
I know I didn't do it right on the 1st mitt, but like the results better than how I did it correctly for the 2nd mitt. The picot edge really has a lot of "roll" to it.
Now looking back on it, I would have definitely liked the regular bind-off better, but thought originally it would have been too plain. And why not go with the cute picot edge that I seem to just luv on sock cuffs. I am glad I tried it out though.
Modifications: I actually did one extra round of the cables which lengthened the mitts by 6 roundsAnd I also lengthened the thumbs by 2 rounds since I didn't want tiny nubs.
So this project really could have been done with only 1 ball of yarn if I had not added the extra rounds.
I think they are a little loose around my hand, and I even went down a needle size! I probably would not do as many CO stitches (if there is a next time).
Verdict: This was not a favorite knit for me, but the time it took to make them made it for an easy execution.
I had even bought more balls of yarn thinking I would crank out a few of these as gifts. But once I finally got motivated enough to start knitting on them, I realized I was not sure if I would want to do them again.
I can't put my finger on it exactly. Because the pattern was fine and they are super cute I just really wasn't all that "into them" like I thought I would be since I have been wanting to knit them up for awhile now.
I would really like to try out the Dashing mitts now! So those are next on my list for fingerless gloves. And I already have yarns swirling around in my knitting fantasies to use on them!
I have the perfect use for these gloves! I so plan to wear them while I am knitting! :o)
They will be my "in-house" gloves. I am actually typing up this post while wearing them to keep my hands toasty around the house. They are like my very own slippers for my hands!! :oD
Labels: Finished Objects