Wednesday, February 20, 2008

1 Day 1 Skein 1 Bolero

Had a nice time at the baby shower on yesterday! Lots of food (I shall not eat another delicious creme puff again!), surprisingly interesting games (who woulda thought), and of course great baby gifts!

Everyone said......AAAAAAAAAAAAWWWW at the same time! :o)

And that was worth the 1 Day slaving over the bolero alone! Haha!
~ Project Details ~

Pattern: Baby Bolero, One Skein, by Leigh Radford

Size: Newbornish....(targeted for 0-3 months)

Baby Peyton was a preemie and came 2 months earlier than expected, so she is a little behind on the growth curve right now. Which was at first a little hard to gauge what size to knit for her. She is 4 months old weighing about 12lbs and with a sigh of relief she could fit the bolero!

I would say this has about a 2 month wear time before it no longer fits her! Haha!

Mission accomplished as it will be warmer outside by then and she will be ready for a seasonal wardrobe change :o)

Time: 1 day, as I was on a little time crunch! :o) Not considering my self-imposed knitting pressure, this is also a quick knit! Hey I work better under pressure! ;op

This gift was originally supposed to be knitted up back in October, but as I mentioned Baby Peyton threw us off and came early so there was a delay in celebrating her arrival. Which bought me more knitting time...but ur uh um as you can see I didn't take advantage of that! :op Haha!

Needles: Harmony US8, I never changed needle sizes as recommended by the pattern. This pattern ask you to go up in size for the ribbing (most ask you to go one size down). My ribbing typically ends up being bigger on the same needle. So no need to change in my opinion.

Yarn: Moda Dea Silk 'n Wool Blend, 1 ball in the color: Wasabi (I love the name that was selected for this yarn!)

Cost: 6 bucks for the yarn, priceless for the time! ;op

What I learned:
Let me just say right now that there is a lot to be said about taking your time out to READ a pattern before starting....
You know the marvelous magic of Ravelry put me back on track when I actually went back and did my pattern research (I normally do it before I start a pattern) on how other wonderful Ravelrers did this pattern.

This served as a reminder how I need to continue combing thru pattern notes on Ravelry before starting a pattern. You really do learn a lot from those who actually take the time to add notes! THANK YOU to those who do!!
Ravelry is only as good as the knitters' who enter the information. But overall The Big R is a fabulous "Go-To" wealth of knowledge database.

So enough of my "Jones-ing" on Ravelry ;op

The main thing I learned was researching provisional/invisible cast-on methods. And realized I did not like the one recommended by the pattern as it was not the easiest to remove. I think I will try the crochet one next time so that it will just "pop pop pop" off!

Also, picking up stitches for the entire border, which was not as painful as I thought it would be! ;op I don't know if I am just tolerating it better, a smaller circumference or feeling more comfortable about it.

Baby knits are really a good chance for me to practice my "big girl" garment skills (i.e. ensure I make selvage stitches, changing color borders, etc.)

Modifications: Again thanks to Ravelry I was able to discover to do a three needle bind off on the shoulders, and magic looped the sleeves to make my knitting experience easier, faster, and less painful with not a bunch of seaming (ugh).

I knitted the body just a tad bit longer (about 2") than recommended to add just a little bit of length.

There is a really tiny errata for this pattern regarding the 13 stitches on the neckline, but if you didn't know about it you would definitely catch it.

As I already mentioned I avoided a lot of seaming with the three needle bind off for the shoulders and picking up the arms to knit in the round. This also made the sleeves less bulky

As recommended by fellow Ravelers I picked up 40 stitches around the armhole then decreased at the underarm ‘seam’/underarm two sts (SSK, K1, K2tog) every 4 rows 4 times (32 sts), then knitted plain until sleeve was about 4” and end at the wrist with a k2/p2 rib for 3 rows (didn't change the needle size like the pattern said), BO in ribbing of course.

For the border of the bolero only picked up 140 stitches, and it was recommended to pick up 164....Doh!

However, it still worked out after a light blocking the border was tamed and laid down just fine! 'Cause you know I wasn't going back to pick-up again! LOL :oD

Verdict: I actually plan to knit this again for another baby package I need to get ready. It was easy to crank out and served its purpose in conserving yarn usage, but as of right now this is not my favorite baby knit. There was a lot of looking back and forth (as well as fiddling around) at the pattern to stay on track, and I would just rather be on knit 'cruise control' to be considered a fantastic easy baby knit.

And of course I had to put my little stamp on it! :o)

I also had a little inkling to make matching booties!
~ Project Details ~

Pattern: Perfect Baby Booties by Ava B.I LUV these booties! They really are perfect!!

Size: Mmmh....I guess newbornish? As you all probably already know this as you adjust the needle size, you also adjust the bootie size. These fit Baby Peyton too!

Time: Quick as well...but then again aren't most baby patterns?!?

Needles: US2 - I had to really go down considerably on needles (IMO) for this one, as my 1st attempt.....

Looked like big foot!!! I swear that bootie could be a sock for me LOL

On the first bootie, I am not sure if it was my yarn that was too thick for the intended needle size or just me knitting too loose...*shrugs* just glad I got it to work out second time around! Haha!

Crochet hook: G (doubled yarn to make a SC string - but would not recommend doubling)

Yarn: Moda Dea Silk 'n Wool Blend - Wasabi; remainders of the bolero yarn....but that didn't work out so well because............

This is what I had leftover while working on bootie #2

Cost: N/A...but have to get another ball of yarn to finish up bootie #2...ugh!They thought it was hilarious that I had to give them an "I.O.U." Haha! ;op

What I learned: To buy enough yarn! Haha!

Modifications: Shortened the ankle ribbing and added the color change

Verdict: By gosh I think I finally found it!!

This is indeed my "Go-To" bootie pattern! LUV it!! And it will always be in my back pocket for easy access to knit up quickly!

Knitted flat in about 52 rows or so, and then you have a perfect bootie! Can't beat that!

Well my little friend wanted me to close out this post! :o)

Have a great remainder of the week!

45 Comments:

  1. Adrienne said...
    GIRL I ABOUT CHOKED WHEN I SAW THE NEEDLE WITH THE BOOTIE!!! LOL Too cute lol
    Jada said...
    Ha Ha girl you are so funny!!That was a beautiful gift you made!!
    Macoco said...
    aaaawwwwww that is a darling set! The green/brown color combo is really great.
    Anonymous said...
    The bolero fits the bear nicely, but it looks like you'd need that purple bootie to fit him! I thought of you when I was picking up sts for the button band on my cardigan last night. It's not SO bad, right?
    Wendy said...
    The bolero is perfect! so when it no longer fits her, she can put it on a teddy and love it forever!
    Melissa Morgan-Oakes said...
    That is SO adorable!! I love it!
    Anonymous said...
    the reserch really does pay off!!!! i heart Raverly!!!
    MrsPurls said...
    Glad you finished the Bolero!! I just it! I will definitely keep those booties in mind for my next. You chose a great color for boy!!! The parents look very appreciative!!
    Cas... said...
    Great bolero and review. You did a terrific job! How nice for you to get a picture of the baby wearing it. Too cool!

    Keep up the good work!
    Connie said...
    Great project info and I love that you wrapped the half done bootie!
    Lashell said...
    The baby bolero is so cute as is the baby that was wearing. So adorable.
    Anonymous said...
    Oh, how adorable is that little guy?! What a great job on the handknit goodies. He looks so cute; like he knows how sweet he looks. Of course, you know I'm all about the babies right now.... :)
    Renee said...
    What a cute set!
    Anonymous said...
    I cannot find that yarn locally. I will either have to order some or make a trip to the AC Moore's over an hour away... Love it all, so very much!
    Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...
    What an adorable baby set! The bolero is so cute :) I love your "hand knit" stamp, too!!
    Sereknitty said...
    Love, love, love it!!! I told you that you'd want make this one again :) The colours you chose are fab ... I much prefer them to traditional pastels. Great job!
    tina said...
    A-Do-Rab-le!!!!!!!!!!

    I want to hear if it was worth the dang creampuffs honey, heck with the cutest baby bolero ever! :)
    Reckless Glue said...
    SO cute! love that colour combo you chose :)
    wildflower38 said...
    Too cute! You're making me want to knit a sweater for my little nephew. I've never knit a sweater before just small easy to carry along things. If I do that maybe I'll be brave enough to knit myself a sweater or tank.
    oneofestelles said...
    Love the dark trim. I've made one baby bolero and setting in the sleeves was challenging. I plan in the next one that I do to pick up, so it's nice to hear you did it successfully.
    Christie said...
    waaaaay cute! love the color name too. :)
    Anonymous said...
    I have had that book since it came out and never made a thing. Now I will! So cute! Thanks for the inspiration, Stacey! Love the color and you are right about the name! When it stops raining here I will go to the bus stop. How much I have missed by not reading your blog of late (gotta stay away from the monster named Ravelry!). xoxo Julie
    Anonymous said...
    OHH sooo cute! Love that color! The pattern is adorable and looks like it fits baby great!

    LOL of the needles with the bootie!!!
    Batty said...
    Oh, that is so cute! That weird ringing sound? I think that's my biological clock going off.
    Shameka said...
    That bolero is too cute. Almost makes me want to have a baby. OK, just a joke... but now I know what to make for the next friend who tels me she is pregnant.
    Anonymous said...
    Awww, the bolero came out so CUTE. And you sure did your research on Ravelry...I agree, it's great when people enter a lot of info. That really helps. The bootie is cute, too, I know the pair will be perfect. Great job!
    Knitaholictoo said...
    It fits perfectly! It is soooo adorable! And the boots....sigh how precious. Nothing like a handmade beauty made with love!!!
    Mama said...
    Love love love this project!!!

    And I am totally stealing your Go0To baby gift idea : )
    Sourire11 said...
    Adorable!!!! I think it's awesome you gave them a bootie on the needles - that rules.
    Robin said...
    Very cute pictures!! Congrats on finishing on time!
    Sheila said...
    Uuuuuuuber adorable and it fits Baby Peyton to a tee. The color name is perfect. I love wasabi, which is a Japanese horseradish and hot as all get out…lol. Thanks for the information, love reading about the behind the scenes of a project.
    Don said...
    dead @ your designer tag in the inside of the jacket

    Nice work, Stacey.
    Anonymous said...
    So cute!! I love the color of the jacket and they stylish detail! Why do boleros look so cute on babies?
    Two Cables and a Frapp said...
    Adorable. Really nice color choice too !!!
    diddlinaknits said...
    Yay!!! Love it!! and looks adorable in the bolero!!
    k_purls2 said...
    the sweater is delicious! I love it!
    Janet Richards said...
    I love it and you always give such great detail about your projects! The yarn turned out perfect for the bolero. I'm always impressed with Silk n' Wool - the price and the fact that it looks great in almost any project I've seen it in. Good choice!

    The booties are the perfect extra touch! :)
    Still Patrice said...
    Awwww So freaking cute! I love it!

    *dead* @ the IOU!
    Jeanine said...
    Awwwww. It is so cute! I like your color combo.
    KelInCal said...
    What a cute little set! Great colors! Hilarious that you put the unfinished bootie in the package!
    WandaWoman said...
    So cute! Really a sweet set. It's great to see the outfit modeled too.
    KimT said...
    lovely!
    Pooch said...
    That is THE cutest bolero and bootie set ever!! Great colors, too!

    :)
    Anonymous said...
    Very, very cute! Thanks for sharing all of the tips and things you learned while making this pattern.
    J.P. said...
    Oooh.. the set looks awesome! I love the colors you chose..

Post a Comment