Wednesday, June 18, 2008
~ Project Details ~
I stopped on Row 87 :o)I truly only wanted a lap afghan, as I already have a nice big puuurty afghan!
So I did not extend my Hemlock, and after having almost 400 stitches on the needles I had no desire in making it bigger, but getting it OFF! HaHa!
I believe I achieved the "lapghan" size :o)I must confess it was on my lap before I even had the chance to block it!
Time: As I have mentioned already I coveted this project from the very beginning when it debuted on Brooklyn Tweeds blog along with everyone else! But really didn't get serious about it until about Feb/Mar of this year. Then I took two months in dragging my heels on gathering my patterns and yarn for this project.
And the final push to CO was in May. I was rarely faithful to this project and barely kept my mojo. Not because it wasn't interesting, but I was slowly slipping into my "knitting blahs".
This blankie actually moves along pretty nicely. Especially when you decide to focus on it! Haha!
My favorite part is the flower!I luv luv luv doing the petals!
Once you get past the 'heart' of it (the flower) then it is all downhill from there with one pattern row and then four mindless stockinette rows. Great Netflixing, TV series marathon knit!
I would guesstimate about a week and a half total knit time if you are consistent. Which I believe that is how long it took Jared to do it too.
Needles: Well I did have a false start with this project in that my stitches originally appeared too tight on the US10 needles. So I ripped back...tried it on the US 10.5
Mmmh those were too loose. Shucks!
So I tried it again on the US10s and it worked out just fine! ;o)
I also used 32" and 40" cords .
Yarn: I used the recommended Cascade Ecological Wool.
I realized while knitting with this yarn that I really don't care for it. As it seemed splitty and loose with its 2 ply.
However, it does look good to me all knitted up. I just wouldn't be running to knit with it again.
I used 1.25 skeins on this project, as I only needed that other part of the second ball for the bind off.
If you want to do this with just 1 skein I recommend ending at row 82 so you will have enough left for the BO.
I have a ton left over and already scoped out projects for the remainder of it!
Cost: Only $13 bucks as I bought the yarn for 20% at my fav LYS during their anniversary sale.
What I learned: Patience & Perseverance. No seriously LOL
Once you get past 200 sts in pure stockinette it can get old real fast! Haha! And then knowing you will be increasing more with each row can try your patience! ;op NOT even mentioning that tedious bind off!!
Okay so more on the technical side. I do wish there were videos on the infamous Row 14 (where you make the holes for the petals) and the BO row.
Those were the two spots where everyone has questions about (the whole K1, P1 in the same stitch 4 times Haha!) or at the very least pause for a moment and think...."what?" Haha!
You know sometimes you just have to "see" it!
Lets talks about the BO row for a minute...shall we?
This is actually where I started "wiggin' out" for no good reason at all!
It appeared too sloppy and loose to me. I really was concerned how it looked in comparison to others, but truly was doing it correctly.
I quickly discovered yarn substitutions made the BO row appearance look different or to my eyes more "neat".
I also was not considering how the BO edge would look like after blocking.
I will echo everyone else in saying that binding off on this project is a beast!! Unnecessarily long and truly should be a crocheted bind off!
It takes roughly about four hours to complete, and I didn't even extend mine! Doing that particular knitted BO with even more stitches would not be what I would sign up for at all; definitely consider an alternative BO.
But the most important thing I learned was to BE FEARLESS!! Ironically, while I was knitting this and devouring my Dove chocolates this message popped up when I needed it the most while freakin' out on that BO at the very end! Haha! Pure irony!!
So glad I went for it and became fearless!
Also, in blocking my Puddin' one of my knitting pals, Janet, who adores lace knitting gave some great advice in saying that "lace loves tough love"I took that to heart and stretched that baby out! :oDIt came out nice, smooth and flat!
Apparently, some have seen ripples where their fan and feather sections are even after blocking but I didn't have that problem. I am thinking the bigger you extend your ring the more likely there will be a ripple effect.
Modifications: I did not make any changes, but really have 'tips' more than anything in this section and truly only directed to the BO row.
~ Recommend putting a lifeline in before the BO row.
~ After working the 5 stitches within one then P1, Sl 1 you will not have any stitches left on your left needle. Turn (right needle doesn't have any stitches - that is right!) still knit as normal in the 1st slip stitch continuing to BO the 7 stitches.
~ (I got this one from Heather) on the very last eyelet do the following: K2tog, yo, then pick up 1 stitch at the very first k2tog that you did at the beginning of the round. Turn, then BO as normal to form the last eyelet.
Hoping those tips help others, and are good reference notes for me whenever I plan to do this project again ;op
Verdict: Perfect project to challenge you and to make you feel like a 'knitterly superwoman'! ;o)
I think this would make a very nice and impressive baby blanket gift as it is not monotonous like a typically garter/stockinette one and it progresses along nicely.
The BO row however is a serious commitment that will make you re-think it, unless you know how to crochet one instead.
I love the fact that my Puddin' is not too long or too short, but juuuuuuuuuuust right!Knit Hard!!