Saturday, December 13, 2008

Speedy Detective

So I've been kinda busy and thangs, along with having no blogging energyBut I have been knitting and still reading other blogs while staying in the knitting spirit and all!

I did finish up a really cute hat last week and wanted to show y'all sooner but it was either dark outside, no one around to take pics of me, or the weather just dreary. So I had to make doand yep resorted to taking the pictures myself in the car! Haha!

Pattern: Lady Detective Hat by Tracey Ullman and Mel Clark published in the Knit 2 Together book.

I just love this book! There are SO many tags in my copy that it is looking a bit crazy!! The book was ridiculously cheap and I originally only bought it for one particular pattern that I just had to have, and yet to knit up. ;op

This is the 1st pattern out of the book I've made and I really loved doing it! Such an easy one and what another chic accessory!

Size: There really is only one size indicated in the pattern, and in reading some other knitter notes on Ravelry there were a few who had to go back and do alterations to make it bigger.

When I first started knitting up on this hat I was very concerned that it would be too small as well.

You begin this project from the crown and knit it down. It was looking really tight to me, but my knitting Purl friends kept encouraging me (thank you!!) to keep at it and that it would turn out to fit just right!!! :o)

Time: I started at the end of November wanting it to be another NOROvember project, and I will still count it as one! But once I realized I wouldn't get it done by the end of the month I didn't press myself on it anymore.

This is another fast knit (can do in about 1-2 days), even though the stitch pattern is a PITA (as others expressed in their Ravelry notes, and I absolutely agree!! )But I find it intriguing that the stitch pattern looks crocheted! :o) And it actually would have been much faster crocheted too! Haha!

Needles: I used US 10.5 and went down only 1/2 the recommended size, b/c I always need to go down at least one size in general with my knitting, but knew it was important to try and maintain the "big" look.

I think I used a 32" cord, and really should have used a 40" for MLing as some of my stitches in the back look slightly laddered, but thank goodness the variegation and stitch pattern hides it.

I also used another cable to do a "provisional hold" on my stitches right before increasing for the brim. I did this so when I would need to come back to BO them off together I could do it without having to go back and painfully pick them upCan you see the extra cord (with the end caps) placing my stitches on hold?? It worked out beautifully!!

There is truly something to be said about reading ahead in a pattern and thinking through it!!

Yarn: Okay I am still on my Noro binge! :oDI never knitted with Noro Iro and it was divine!! Always had my eyes on this Noro line too and finally found a project that would justify the cost.

The colors are simply gorgeous to me as the purple drew me in from the start!! It also has swirls of burgundy, gold, black, and green.

This is colorway #57, and if you haven't tried Iro you must!! I believe this is my favorite Noro line to date!!

I only used 1.25 on the hat and have plenty leftover for a matching neckwarmer! ;op

Cost: As I mentioned above I really had to justify the cost on making a project with this yarn, as it is typically $20 a hank. And also knew it would need to be a small 1-2 skein project! LOL

So when I saw it for 40% off online back in March I jumped on it!! I spent only $16 per hank.

I agree with others that it bites big time you only need about .25 more of the 2nd hank to finish off the hat!! Sigh....so this really is not a 1 skein project with the Iro. Be on the lookout for my matching neckwarmer Haha!

I got the buckle back in May when I went to ATL and met Adrienne for the first time! It was $3.00 and I knew then I was getting it for this project. At first I couldn't decided on the black or brown but you can see which one I settled on. :o)

What I learned: The Better Bucket Hat really prepared me for this knit, so if I had not done this pattern prior to that project I would have been a little bit up in arms.

But since I was seasoned in knitting bucket hats this one was smooth sailing.

The Better Bucket Hat was also knitted from the bottom up and in doing Lady Detective hat I realized how much I really like knitting hats from the top down! This was my 1st one and it was a breeze.

Modifications: None really other than using an extra cord mentioned above for the "provisional hold". Indeed one smart move!

I did slightly block it by placing it on a tupperware bowl that is shaped like a bucket and lightly sprayed it with water letting it dry over night. That was was it!

Verdict: The morning I wore my new hat into work I was walking on the street and the 1st person who saw me (a lady of course) said, "I love your hat!" And I said, "I do too! I made it!!" and she exclaimed back, "OOOO that is great! It is even more super cute!!" :oD

That made me feel all warm and fuzzy! :o) Haha!

Now....what I do not recommend is taking all of your F.O. pics

while zoomin' along in morning rush hour traffic ;op

Until life slows down a bit! See you next blog time!! :o)

37 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    I love these pictures! hat is awesome. I am doing the same thing...knitting just a bit but reading other blogs to stay in the spirit! Sometimes I can pretend I knit those things... :)
    Anonymous said...
    Really cute hat; I may have to get that book.
    Patricia
    Anonymous said...
    Stacey, this may be my favorite thing you've ever knitted! That is the cutest. hat. ever!!! I must get that book; maybe with my Christmas money? So cute, and really looks great on you! Have a Merry Christmas :)
    Michelle B said...
    OMG that hat is adorable! so cute!!! I just LOVE it!
    Adrienne said...
    TOo cute!!! stop taking pics and driving :-)
    Karine said...
    Gorgeous hat! Sadly, I don't have a head for hats...
    Cas... said...
    That's a really cute hat! Another fine job!

    I love your use of Noro. I found a knitting shop close to where I was working and they had so much Noro. I thought about you! LOL!

    Keep up the good work!
    IrishGirlieKnits said...
    I love your hat! It looks fabulous on you! And the photo shoot..perfect!

    I've knit the baby baseball sweater from k2together...love that book!
    Dave said...
    Well, I've heard of people knitting while driving, but this is the first time I've heard of photo-blogging while driving. I'm not sure whether to offer congratulations or send the police after you. :-)

    Love the hat!!!
    Anonymous said...
    Very cute! I wish I could wear hats as well as you!
    Dwanna said...
    Love the hat...I had to order the book...Amazon had a great deal on it.
    Jane Prater said...
    This is a great hat. the stitch pattern makes that yarn come alive. Very flattering.
    DeltaPurl said...
    Hey, I thought about you yesterday....really cute hat
    Sereknitty said...
    Cutest hat ever!!! Now, use up the rest of the yarn and make yourself some 'Fetching' mitts to go with it!
    Knitty Cent said...
    this turned out so cute. love looking at the pics all together! ^_^ sometimes knitting, driving, and photographing is how things get done, lol!
    Knitting Diva said...
    Girl....you got a gorgeous hat there and it looks great on you to boot!
    SissySees said...
    Absolutely darling - hat, you, and photos! I have to say, the book photo wouldn't inspire me to consider this project, but you and your hat do!
    Sheila said...
    I LOOOOOOOOVE your hat. I must have that book and treat myself to some Noro.
    Lorette said...
    Lovely, lovely! Both you and the hat look marvelous!
    Nik said...
    it's so YOU.

    glad you didn't crash. crazy butt.
    Lynette said...
    your hat is amazing. excellent job! now i want to make one.

    adrienne's comment is hilarious. keep your eyes on the road. ;)
    Anonymous said...
    i love your hat. i have this book and never thought about the pattern, i didnt really like it on the model but yours looks great on you i am definately considering making this one.
    nikki
    Anonymous said...
    You totally crack me up. Look at you in that hat -- like a modern-day Nancy Drew!
    urbanknitrix said...
    TOO CUTE!!!! I love it and the pictures. Girl work that camera.
    Mama said...
    That hat is fantastic!!!!
    I've not got this book and think that I'm going to go right over and add it to my wish list - I've a friend who has been asking me to knit a hat for her for-EVER. I resist because she is not easy to please. I think this hat is just the thing to do for her!

    Thanks so much!!!

    ps: stroke of GENIUS - your provisional hold!!!
    Andrea said...
    I love that hat on you. I have that book, and have looked at that pattern many times. Awesome job!!
    KimT said...
    very cute!
    Batty said...
    Wow, that hat is fabulous! And great acting too -- you look like the main character in one of those cool chick detective movies. Just driving along, following the bad guy around, and he has no idea he's being shadowed... yeah!
    diddlinaknits said...
    HOT!!! I love the hat and how it looks on you-it suits you 100%! and you did a great job and i like your rush hour FO pics :)
    Still Patrice said...
    i REALLY like this post. the whole car speeing along, blurred objects outside the window. good job.

    and your hat is soooo cute! you know i have that book. :)
    Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...
    What a cute hat! Great pictures, too :)
    TLCknits said...
    Stacey - LOVE the hat!... I can't really wear hats (humongo head).. but maybe I can wear this...we shall see.
    Omega said...
    I Love your hat and it looks so good on you! I think I'll have to get that book, I was looking at it in a store one day and it looked interesting. Girl you are too brave Drivin' & Shootin' LOL!
    Unknown said...
    What a cute, cute hat! It's perfect on you!
    Wendy said...
    Now, that is one SWEET hat.... Love it, and it looks so gorgeous on you.
    Liz said...
    I love your hat!
    I too am reading but not blogging, although hoping to at some point this weekend, life is just flying along at the moment, time of year I suppose!
    Have a great christmas. x

    PS why is your steering wheel on the wrong side????????! x
    Funessa said...
    You are teh CRAZY!

    Love that hat! I have been looking for a winter hat shaped like that! Hmmm....

Post a Comment