Sunday, May 03, 2009

My Revival...

back into knitting was ironically during Easter weekend with this lovely shawlette

~ Project Details ~

Pattern: This is the Forest Canopy Shoulder Shawl, and you may have to do a double take b/c some of you will recognize/think you are looking at the Flower Basket shawl its twin! :o)

I selected this pattern over the other one because of the ease and simplicity of the instructions.

Susan Lawrence did an excellent job with orienting a newbie knitter to triangle shawls (yep my 1st one) with tons of information and explicit directions.

Size: Shawlette/scarfJust enough to knock the chill off. I will actually wear this more as scarf than a shawl.

Have y'all seen the lastest trend with the P.alestinian scarves (that everyone & their mama is wearing)?

Well I've decided that mine is the chic and unique version of those! Haha! I like it a lot b/c it isn't the trend ;o)

Yarn/Cost: The yarn was gifted to me in my local knitting group during our Purly V.alentine swap back in February (yep I did a couple swaps at the beginning of the year).

And you may recall I featured it here on my blog if you want to learn more about it. It actually is NOT malabrigo! LOL

Because the yarn was picked out for me the colors are different from my usual, which I like as it forced me out of my color box! I really needed that! Since everything I knit can't be purple and red! Haha!

Needles: US 6 on 32" cord

Time: As mentioned earlier I started this project Easter weekend, and it really is an easy flowing fast knit. I only clocked in mileage during lunch time or after work here and there. The majority of the project was worked on during a car trip to D.C. so that easily knocked it out!

Saying all that it took about 2 weeks not focusing on it since I was just warming up my knit mojo, but also crocheting too.

What I learned: How to block a triangle shawl!! The rigged up and easy way w/o wires :o)

You may notice above the string going down the middle, and I also did it going across the top. You just stretch the string out put some pins around the border and viola!!

It was also great to finally understand the concept on how most triangle shawls come to life...I truly had no clue Haha

Modifications: I made none. The pattern called for 10 repeats. I did exactly that.

Mainly because I only had two hanks of yarn and was concerned I wouldn't have enough to finish the bottom edge repeat and bind off. I had some leftover but definitely not enough to do another pattern repeat.

I also knew right away that I needed to put the repeats on index cards to keep myself straight. And I am proud to say not one hang up and I never used a lifeline! Yay!! I love index cards!!

Measurements:

~Pre-Block~

Length: 17" Width: 35"

~Post-Block~

Length: 25" Width: 47"

Verdict: I am really not big on shawls, but wouldn't mind cranking one out from time to time (would love to do a big comfy one next).

Since it was my first time doing a triangular shawl (definitely recommend this one for any 1st timer!!), I know that I would need to have a "stick-to-it"ness on these projects as the rows just get longer and longer LOL

It truly was a pleasure to knit this project just as much as it is to wear!!

40 Comments:

  1. Jada said...
    Girl! That is a beautiful shawl! I like that color yarn you used. You are going to look super cute wearing that on those chilly days!
    Anonymous said...
    Congrats on your first triangular shawl! It's so pretty, and I bet you'll get lots of use out of it. I used my Icarus, a similar sized shawl, so so much this winter when my neck was cold indoors. And I always felt chic wearing it!
    turtlegirl76 said...
    It looks fantastic Stacey! Great job!
    Walden said...
    It looks lovely! Congrats on making it through, I still have yet to finish anything like that. The colors look good with in that pattern.
    sophanne said...
    That looks GREAT. Mine is blocking now- the weather is perfect for something warmish over something light.

    I'm off to look at the latest trend.
    J.P. said...
    Ooooooh.. it's beautiful! I love it!
    Jane Prater said...
    It is gorgeous and I love the way you are wearing it in the first picture.
    chicagopurl said...
    Beautiful Stacey! Also, I like the idea of the index cards! I think that shawl will be perfect for the Spring/Summer breezes!
    cici said...
    The photos are great. You've done a fantastic job. I have this pattern and want to make it. After seeing yours, I really want to make it♥
    Anonymous said...
    very purdy!! congratulations on your very first shawlette. Love the colors!
    caknitter said...
    The shawl is beautiful! You did an awesome job and I'm loving the index cards. What a great idea. I'm definitely going to try it.
    Have a great week!
    IrishGirlieKnits said...
    That is just gorgeous and you look fabulous in it!!
    Dwanna said...
    Stacey, you continue to WOW me with every project you produced. The shawl is a very nice lst. and no doubt looks great on you.
    Jo said...
    It looks lovely on you. I completely understand about the notes - My project sheets end up having post-its all over them to remind me what I am doing.
    Cas... said...
    Lovely shawl! I love the color. Very pretty.

    Good review too!

    Keep up the good work!
    Chelette said...
    You rock! It looks great and you make it seem so easy. I am where you were a couple of weeks ago --have not picked up the needles in ova a week.
    Melissa Morgan-Oakes said...
    That is really really lovely!!
    Knitaholictoo said...
    It is beautiful, Stacey! Really, really, pretty! Great job!
    robin said...
    That is really beautiful!! Nice work!
    Deborah said...
    totally awesome! also, you've become a little knitting scientist! so exacting and studious! i loved the post!

    p.s. returning to nc this saturday through monday. helping my son to get ready for a trip to ireland.
    SissySees said...
    It was my first triangular shawl too. Love it!!!
    smariek said...
    Your Forest Canopy is gorgeous! Good to know it is well written. I had attempted the Flower Basket Shawl a long time ago but it didn't work out very well for me since I couldn't (and still can't) read charts. I think shawls are beautiful, but I haven't figured out how to incorporate them into my wardrobe.

    I use index cards too!!! My eyes wander on row instructions and I tend to lose my place. Charts I have to manually translate to row-by-row first. I use binder clips to keep my index cards together, flipping them one at a time. I really like how you have put them on rings!
    Unknown said...
    It's a beauty! And you knocked it out pretty fast. I should try my hand at one.
    Karine said...
    That is a gorgeous shawl. One day I swear I'll actuall make one.
    Batty said...
    Knitting revival on Easter? That's what I call perfect timing. Your shawl is beautiful.
    Sereknitty said...
    Wow, your first triangular shawl --Congratulations! It really looks fabulous on you and is the perfect complement to the lilac dress you're wearing.

    I'm working on the Swallowtail as we speak, in a malabrigo/silk blend and am really enjoying it, too!
    tiennie said...
    It's a very pretty shawl!
    Lorette said...
    Perfect! Watch out, girl, the lace shawl bug might just bite you hard! :-)
    Michelle B said...
    Beautiful. It will be great for cool spring evenings!
    Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...
    Beautiful shawl!!! I haven't knit a shawl yet, but I really want to try this one too. I'd better see what yarn I have...
    diddlinaknits said...
    Beautiful!
    Congrats on another first-you did it wonderfully.

    You are so right about the "stick-to-it"ness. That has been a huge issue with my last shawl that i still haven't finished. I have close to 600 sts in a row and no urge to work on it all lol.
    moo said...
    Beautiful! You did such a good job! The colors are fun. I like a shawl because it is more chic than a sweater and easier to just throw on. Plus, in the car you can use it as a little pillow, wrap your neck up in it, cover you head...great! (not I want one!)
    urbanknitrix said...
    Too freaking cute!!!! I love, love, love it!! The colors are awesome.

    Kudos!
    kim said...
    Oh, you did such a beautiful job, and it looks fabulous on you!
    Lynne said...
    Oh, I like it. Very pretty. And I like the idea of the notecards for your pattern repeats.
    kathy b said...
    NOt one lifeline! You play with fire and you won! It is adorable/lovely. I haven't blocked anything yet and just started lace. Came to you from I Was knit together in my mothers blog!
    Sheila said...
    Very pretty.
    WandaWoman said...
    Love the shawl. It is very pretty. You did a great job!
    BrownBerry said...
    You did it! And it's soooo lovely!
    Veronica said...
    The shawl is beautiful.

Post a Comment