Sunday, June 28, 2009

Hook Review!

Some time back I featured my new interchangeable crochet hooks on my blog, and many of you have wondered how I like them.

Now that I have had the chance to use both handles from my lastest projects thought I would give you the skinny on them!

Product: Provo Crochet Tools Ergonomic Handles W/Crochet Hooks (F-K)I bought this ergonomic set after several hours of constant crocheting (cranking out all those granny square blankies!) and my wrist and thumb started to hurt.

So figured I would try something that would lessen the stress on my hands, and gave these hooks a whirl. Indeed these hooks DO relieve the hand discomfort and fatigue! So they work! :o)However you must get used to the handles!! Even with me not being a long-time crocheter the "feel" of the handles and how to hold them to my comfort level was different.

They even provide suggestions on the box on different ways you can hold the handles.I personally crochet as if I am holding a "spoon" and not a "pencil". So picture #1 and #4 on the box is how I hold both handles :)

The first handle I tried out was the "trigger" oneAnd it is obviously much wider and reminded me of when I first learned how to write with a big fat pencil...remember those days?? LOL But after a few rounds I was fine and kept hookin' along. This handle is 100% plastic and very light. If you like the weight of metal hooks in your hand this one would not be for you.

The other hook handleis slimmer and is a combination of plastic and rubber. This is the one I like best as it is similar to the regular hooks with the ridge on the front, and I really can get more momentum with this handle.

My biggest dissatisfaction on this product is the quality of the grooves. How you screw in the hook to the handle depends on the grooves inside the 100% plastic handle (may have something to do with it!), which does not always align properly together. The production was not great at all.
Each letter hook you want to use depends upon which handle screws work well with the hook because of the grooves, so that the hook can be facing in the correct position once screwed in for crocheting! Not all peaches 'n cream, especially if you prefer one handle over the other (like I do).

Some other users have mentioned they wished the head of the hook was longer but that was not a big deal to me.

Just remember that they are NOT going to be exactly like your normal crochet hooks so you will have some "getting used to them" time. Which doesn't take long and is to be expected.

I will say if I had not used a 50% off coupon at A.C. Moore which brought the value down to about $12 bucks I would have been very disappointed with the quality of this product.

But for 6 hooks and 2 handles...can't complain about that at all!!As you can see the case is smaller than my Denise needle set so it is compact and easy to take along if necessary.

So my finally verdict is for the quantity of hooks as a newbie crocheter (and the comfort of longevity on my project) with the discounted price I believe it was worth the purchase (cavet being: only with the coupon)!

Hope this review on the hooks was helpful to you all!

BTW how do y'all like my NEW blog look!! Yep it was time to re-paint the walls around here ;o)

Many many THANKS to my Purl friend Heather who helped me with my banner design. She just whipped it up so fast!! AND she won the banner/blog button contest for the Summer of Socks 09! Kewl huh?!? Looks like she got a new banner too ;o)

Alright everyone have a wonderful week and

Remember to live LIFE on PURPOSE!

12 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    ohhh love the blog remodel :O)
    turtlegirl76 said...
    I do love the "remodel"! I've been thinking of doing the same thing lately. I don't know though. I'll screw something up and have to have Rosi save me. I'd better wait until she's got some time to help me. ;)

    Thanks for the review. I was considering getting a set of those for my mother. (She's got arthritis) and now I won't.
    SissySees said...
    Love the new look, and I'm glad your review matches with those I'd read on JoAnn's site. Since I'm not having trouble (other than a sore spot that isn't quite a blister) when I crochet a lot, I think I'll stick with what I have, and maybe purchase a few of those ergonomic pencil pads...
    Cas... said...
    Love the new blog look. Good job as always.

    The next thing is the ergonomic crochet hooks. I never tried them. I'm pretty comfortable with the regular ones but your critique was informative. You always do such a terrific job writing your reviews.

    Thanks so much for all the informative reviews.

    Keep up the good work!
    Heather said...
    Blog looks great Stacey!

    Thanks for the review! Good to know!
    Michelle B said...
    Love the new blog look!!
    Rosi G. said...
    Love the new blog look. The banner is very nice.

    Thanks for the review and sorry to hear they're not 100%. BUT at least you didn't pay an arm and a leg for them! :D
    robin said...
    Very interesting review! I don't hold my crochet hook like a pencil either, but I probably hold it more like a knife (overhand grip) than a spoon, which now that I think about it, I guess I hold sort of pencil-like. Anyway. I FINALLY saw the Benjamin Buttons movie that you told us was so good (better late than never) and I LOVED IT. It was the best movie I'd seen in a long time.
    Adrienne said...
    What a great review...Hmmmm lol. Let me not even entertain the thought of getting them lol.

    Lovin the new look! I'm getting ready to do the same :-)
    diddlinaknits said...
    Great review! I saw those at Joann and looked at them but since i have so many hooks already i couldnt justify it plus i knew your review would be coming. I think for what you paid it was a good deal.
    Your new banner is really cool. i like the new look!
    Have a great week!
    cici said...
    Great review!!! I need to think about these, because my hands are starting to hurt after crocheting.
    k_purls2 said...
    I like it the remodel! And thanks for the review, I'll share it with my mom.

Post a Comment