Tuesday, October 02, 2007

A Worthy Cause

So I now personally know two fabulous people, whom just happen to be knitters, that have a passion to finding a cure for lupus!

If you haven't heard yet about Fairiegirl raising money for Alliance for Lupus Research Walk With Us To Cure Lupus Walk-A-Thon then you must be under a blog rock somewhere! Haha!

I supported her goal a couple of weeks ago not because of her awesome giveaways (run over there to see!), but because of her sharing the info below and making it real to me.

Some Lupus facts:

  • Lupus is a chronic autoimmune disease in which a person's immune system mistakenly attacks the body's own tissue. (I personally have an autoimmune disease that attacks my hair)
  • Lupus can cause life-threatening damage to major organs such as the kidneys, lungs, heart and central nervous system. (I am grateful that mine is not life threatening)
  • Lupus is the leading cause of death among women with autoimmune diseases who are in their childbearing years (ages 15-45). (OMG this SO could be me!)
  • Women are five times more likely to die from lupus than men, and African Americans are three times more likely to die from lupus than caucasians. (Ain't I a Woman?! - y'all know who I quoted? :op)

I knew of one other girl when I was growing up with lupus with horrible aches and that was about as real it got for me. But to interact with someone I know on a consistent basis and not support them in this worthy cause was not even a question. As I would want anyone to support me if I called upon it!

So I am asking you all (because this really could be you) to help Fairiegirl make her awesome goal by clicking here!! The walk is THIS Saturday, October 6th so HURRY!

And the best part! She is doing all of the walking for you!! So you don't have too! :op Haha!

8 Comments:

  1. Adrienne said...
    This is a great cause!!!
    Carmell said...
    my sister has lupus but she has the one that effects her skin. she doesn't talk about it at all. its like pulling teeth!
    SissySees said...
    Very worthy cause. I had no idea about some of those stats though...
    Anonymous said...
    My very best girlfriend has lupus, so I know. Thanks for the education!
    Kamika said...
    This is such a worthy cause! Lupus runs generationally in my family. My mom and 4 of her siblings has it. Thank God it skipped our generation. I'll check out Fairiegirl's blog.
    Anonymous said...
    Wow! Good cause. I have a dear friend who suffers from that disease. I have to let her know of all the support thata she should take advantage of.
    Anonymous said...
    great post. my aunt has lupus so this means a lot to me!!!
    diddlinaknits said...
    Great cause-and always good when you don't have to do any of the physical stuff!!

Post a Comment