Wednesday, July 30, 2008
I knew what yarn I wanted to use, and it was just a matter of matching it up with the right pattern.
Since I was using a variegated yarn I really needed something not too busy. So I went to my best pattern research tool (Ravelry of course!) and kept coming across the Thuja pattern in the type of yarn I wanted to put to work. Decision made!
Curiosity finally got to me and I looked up what Thuja means as the pattern designer never mentioned why he selected this name, just why he was motivated to make them.
This is a popular pattern, after all it was on Knitty! Even my knit/e-blog pal Babbling Brook (Stacey) just recently finished her Thuja's too!
Size: The pattern is originally intended to fit a man (9-11), and only "one" size was given. Well we ain't all one size!
Of course I did toe-up
as I love to try on my sock as I go, to reassure myself they are fitting. You know I can't be putting all that work in those tiny little needles in vain! ;o)
I went down from the primary stitch count of 44 to 40 and wish I had decreased a little bit more to 36-38 stitches.
These are truly comfy socks!
Time: Not long at all, just shy of a week!
As I mentioned earlier I wanted a break from the smaller needles and thinner sock yarn...for now ;op The worsted weight yarn was perfect!
Also this easy sock project became my commuter knitting which helped me plug away on the foot! Besides I still have yet to make a full ankle sock as well.
Needles: I used my Harmony needles in US4 and then US2.
I coulda (woulda shoulda) went down a needle size on the sock, but I was adamant about wanting to be on bigger needles! ;op
I switched to US2s for the ribbing around the ankle, and then back to the US4s for the bind off.
Again I shoulda BO with a US3 as it ended up being too loose.
Yarn: I had been sitting on this yarn since February!
I used Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted in Pilsen and it was just lovely to work with on my Thuja's!
I do have more LL in my stash and look forward to working with the different weights soon.
Cost: $18 for one hank
I guess that is like $9 per sock...wow
I did have plenty left over since I didn't make full length socks and plan to use it for baby items/odds & ends
What I learned: I did use the Magic CO this time, rather than the Turkish CO
I have used the Magic CO before on another project (twice on my bucket hats), and I really liked it as a provisional CO substitute.
.....mmmmh the difference to me is that the Turkish CO is easily brought to anyone's remembrance, where I think the Magic CO takes a tad bit more maneuvering and a quick refresher if you don't use it often.
Other than that they are pretty much the same IMO!!
and I was able to do that!! :oD
I used Zhenya's Mash-up Recipe pattern for the heel. I liked the fact you could plug in numbers to match the kind of socks you are making, but I must confess having to pick up stitches for a toe-up sock is not something I want to do! Haha! Call me a knitting bum! ;op
I will say I had a "designer element" on my second heel turn with having some of my pick-up stitches on the outside (told you I didn't like it!), but the multitude of the yarn colors camouflages it so it is cool! Besides they are just house socks ;o)
But I am so glad I tried this alternative to heel flaps, as I plan to try out more.
The other technique I learned towards the end of this project was the Stretchy Bind Off that Babbling Brook (Stacey) put me onto! Thanks so much!!
I really liked it and I do believe it has a nice give to it!
I definitely think my ankles are too loosebut that is probably because of the needle size I selected. I believe if I wasn't so concerned about having a tight BO it would have been just fine on a size 3.
Modifications: Not much as it was a simple sock, other than that the pattern was written for top/down rather than toe-up.