Saturday, February 14, 2009
Recently I worked on a project that I couldn't help but notice had the traditional red & white Valentine colors
But red and white colors are also the non-official colors of my sorority D.elta S.igma T.heta (DST)!
~ Project Details ~
Pattern: I actually ended up doing my first test knitting! And I was more than happy to work on it for a couple of reasons.
One: I really wanted to do a fair isle project (2009 knit goal..check!) and
Two: I've always wanted to knit something up Delta related as I am an active member of my dynamic sorority! :o)
Time: Since I was learning a new skill that was a little awkward my knitting was a bit slower, but it only takes a weekend of monogamous knitting :o)
Needles: I used US 4 and US 6 needles on the hat on my Harmony needles for magic looping.
Yarn & Cost: Because this was my inaugural fair isle project I anticipated having to work on my tension and wasn't really sure how the project for me would work out so I used the ole cheapo Red Heart Super Saver in both colors for only $4.00 all together!! :oD
As you can see it came in obnoxious red and pure as the driven white snow LOL
Size: Weeeell let the pictures of some of my friends speak for themselves ;opOkay well what about a bigger head??even with more hair too! :o)Those were my co-workers from my last job and they were really good about being my willing models! We had fun taking the pics!! Thank you guys!!!! ;oD
There wasn't a gauge on this pattern but I used the same yarn weight and from my understanding the hat was made for about a 22-23” head.
I thought I had a small nugget but when I finally took out a measuring tape it said I had a 22" head. So not sure why my hat came out so big.....
What I learned: Two-handed Fair Isle technique with no floats! Yay!!!
I truly like the fact you can wrap your floats as you go!
Since my dominate hand is continental/left, the majority of this project was done english/right hand which I am still getting used to and slowed my progress down just a bit. Which also completely changed my tension to be tighter (you think this would have made my hat smaller...go figure).
Additionally, I really need to understand how to do jogless knitting in the round as it is visible where the color change takes place on the hat.
Last but most important...I learned there was a reason why I never used/desired to use Red Heart yarn LOL And I'll leave it at that ;op
Modifications: I did rig the "P" by not adding an additional vertical row on the hind leg or front end of the letter.
Next time I will cast on less stitches and decrease for the crown sooner, as my head may be 22" wide but definitely not that long!
I also made some small tweaks on the crown chart to reflect the actual picture in the pattern; all of these changes noted to the designer :o)
Verdict: Even though this project did not "fit" how I hoped it would I was just thrilled to be doing something new and stretching myself, as I enjoyed knitting this up and will do it again!
This was my funny valentine and I still do heart it!!
Labels: Finished Objects