Monday, February 09, 2009

Pre V Love

For the past 3 years I have been knitting up slippers (a.k.a. house shoes Haha for the ole school kids like me) around/on Valentine's Day.Yeah those are a little beat up! LOL

So it was time for some new ones!!

Valentine "Snow Day" Slippers #3 - Circa 2009


~ Project Details ~

Pattern: Some of y'all noticed this project on my Rav page last week! Thanks for the heart/love over there. Dang! How do y'all figure out when I am done with a project before I blog or post in a rav group about it?? ;o)

Well I am all about free these days and this pattern is complimentary once you do a quick sign up on the site. It is called the Side Cable Slippers that is a piece of cake to knit!

Just so you know I am always on a quest for great slipper patterns and had this one in my Rav que for a minute.

Size: These were knitted flat for 9.5” (pattern suggested 8") for my 7.5 US size feet.Then you "cinch them together on the end and seam down the middle leaving an opening to put your feet in. That.is.it! No fuss! Luvs it!!

Time: Only one day.

We had another faux “snow” day last week here in the QC (wasn't mad about it!). And it became perfect timing for a quick knit to do my yearly Valentine slippers!

Needles: I went searching for US13 in my Harmony set...but ur uh yeah that size is not in the standard kit (only up to 11)! LOL So glad I had my Denise set that is now my back up which has US15 (yay!). I still love that needle kit! ;o)

Yarn & Cost: Continuing to knit from stash is my mantra right now!! This yarn was actually gifted to me last year by my Purly friend Janet! Yay!

I used 1 skein, held doubled of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky in the color Concord (blue/purple). Sometimes you just gotta pull out the good ole LB yarn!!! ;op

I luv winding my balls of yarn into cakes, then taking both ends to wind it again together to knit it "double" without all that bobbing around in a ball from both ends, rather it is just from one!

What I learned: Well, I just reinforced my cabling without a needle skill. Which was great to put that back into practice and you can watch a video of it here.

I also looked around and remembered I had these little accessory appliances (never been used yet!), along with some leftover yarnAnd made Pom Poms!!!I had bought these things last year and never used them...in fact didn't know how when it was time!!

Did a quick internet search and found more detailed written instructions, and even better How-To Pictorial which helped me as I needed to "see" it!

I love these little contraptions now!! As I used to detest making pom poms. These things are the best and now see why everyone was raving about them!!

These literally are like my own comfy house footies

Modifications: I accidentally didn’t follow the pattern and did the the 2nd, 3rd and 4th cables with only two rows in between vs. four rows. (actually prefer how pattern was written with the 4 rows)

And as mentioned earlier I knitted a little longer to 9.5" on these.

Recommendations: I threaded the end twice before seaming. Leave long ends for seaming, particularly for seaming down the middle (14” was not enough).

And added puff paint at the bottoms to prevent bustin’ my duff! ;op

Had to stay with the V-day theme! :o)

Verdict: These are easy peasy & SUPER warm! Will definitely be making more as they are quick gifts to knit up!

Realized while seaming that I was joining/looking at more horseshoe cables (like my Bella mitts)! Apparently I am really into those lately ;op

Now I am all fired up for the V day!! :oD

27 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Those are great slippers, I mean house shoes! We have been in a pompom frenzy in my house!
    CiCi and CAJtalk said...
    girl.. those Cabled slippers are the cutest slipper house shoes I have seen.. Happy Valentine's Day to you!!! I need to make myself a pair.
    Adrienne said...
    Those are super cute!!!! Love the pom poms!
    turtlegirl76 said...
    Wow! Those look squooshy and comfy!
    Mandy said...
    Anything with POMPOMS makes me giddy! Love!
    Liz said...
    Stacey, they are soooo cool!
    I am loving that pom pom maker too!
    Dwanna said...
    Stacey
    CUTE CUTE CUTE! You've done it once again.
    SissySees said...
    Awesome! I want a pair, but alas, I have deadlines and commitments...
    Anonymous said...
    I love them, Stacey! The pom-poms really make them. What a cheerful thing to slip on your feet in the morning!
    urbanknitrix said...
    Awesome!! They look so cute and comfy.
    Anonymous said...
    Cute slippers! Those pom pom makers are my absolute favorite. Perfect poms every time!
    Sheila said...
    Totally off the hook.... I luvvvv those slippers with those chunky cables.
    Anonymous said...
    Wow, I remember reading the posts about those other house shoes like it was yesterday. How time flies.
    Janet Richards said...
    They are super cute - and I'm glad the yarn came in handy! I have to get some tea and catch up on your blog :) I'm so behind!
    Anonymous said...
    how cute. Love the embroidrery on the bottom. :)

    cute socks too ;)
    Michelle B said...
    Too cute!!! Now you make me want to make another pair of slippers! I'm wearing my Malabrigo loafers right now!!

    Might have to go check out that pom pom maker too!!
    Cas... said...
    Uber cutsies for the tootsies! LOL!

    Those are cute. I remember when you made your last slippers. How cute are those! I love them!

    Keep up the good work!
    Unknown said...
    Nice!
    cpurl17 said...
    Those are SO stinkin' cute!! I love your socks too! :)
    Sereknitty said...
    Adorable, in their purple cuteness!
    tina said...
    ADORABLE slippers, er house shoes. LOVE THEM.t I am going to make some, well like quick. That cute and fast too? Lovely!

    I have to laugh about your Options...... I am still monogamous to my Denise's, you are clearly steppin' OUT in your new house shooed self! :P
    IrishGirlieKnits said...
    Those are soooo cute!! Love them!!
    Sourire11 said...
    those are great!!! I've made a ton of felted slippers but no house slippers like those... Love the pom poms!
    Anonymous said...
    Ha, you didn't just say "house shoes"! LOL. That IS Old School for real.

    Those are so cute! I love the poms.
    Funessa said...
    OMG those are too cute with the pom poms - did the pattern call for them or did you improvise that?!
    diddlinaknits said...
    I luves them as well!!!! they look great!!! and i love that you makes these as a treat for yourself every year and stick with it!!! one of these days i will get to making my own slippers. I am a call my slippers House shoes to but mainly because in german they are called Haus Schuhe and My omi always made sure i was wearing my Haus Schuhe or Warme Socken :)
    smariek said...
    You make it look so easy and fun to make pompoms! I've only made 2 pompoms for the 2 Jayne Cobb Hats, and they were fiddly to make.

Post a Comment