Wednesday, February 10, 2010

All Season Drops

I swear this project has been thru almost ever season And I am luvin' them most in THIS season :)


~ Project Details ~

Pattern/Duration/Fiber: Snowdrop Socks I started these in the summer time initially with a different pattern (Anastasia) but after 2 false starts (sizing was off b/c of gauge with thicker yarn - 46sts total - which is very small in this yarn) and then not grasping the "it's so easy it's hard" Anastasia pattern. I ripped them out completely and decided to use a different pattern that met me at just the "right knitting time" ;o)

Snowdrops has a very easy pattern repeat and gave the busy stripping yarn just enough busy artwork I was looking for on this pair. It was made for NORO (Silk Garden #84)!

By fall season I put them down....then picked them back up...then let them hibernate...then pulled them back out...I was so sometimey with this project...but Oooooh how I loved them b/c of the lovely NORO yarn :)

Did these socks toe up 2AAT (two-at-a-time) on US1.5 (2.5mm) needles. When we had our "mini blizzard" (saying that with sarcasm) two weeks ago, I finally decided enough was enough and needed to finish them. I really wanted my feet to finally toast in a custom pair of winter wool socks.

Firsts: I swear this pair of socks has really given me a hard time...but that is what makes me heart them even more!
I did short-rows heels that ended up being "too short" LOL But thank goodness for the stretch of wool when wet = blocking :)There are a few peek-a-boo places that I can live with considering it was my first pass at this technique.
I really like doing short rows much better than a heel flap as there is less "work" involved in it. I just now need to remember to add a few more inches before beginning the heel ;op

And I wrangled a 3 needle BO with very tiny needles....ur uh not the easy finishing that I had envisioned (I didn't position my "hold"/provisional needle correctly and had to re-thread it, as well as decrease to the original 43 sts again for 3 needle BO - will do it second to the last row next time rather than after the picot row)

It was also my first picot edge...that didn't go too well as I decided to K2 YO rather than just K1 YO...the picot edge was not as defined that way as I thought it would be....meh lesson learned.

Verdict: Despite my long and bumpy journey with this relatively easy pair of socks.

I am definitely over the moon with my very own first pair of NORO socks!! :)

13 Comments:

  1. martha - caknitter said...
    awe the socks are so pretty. I love the color, very cheery.
    Adrienne said...
    Awww they came out great! For a minute I thought you were outside in the snow with those socks on lol
    Kay-From the Back Yard said...
    They are very pretty! Weren't you surprised at how good they feel on your feet?
    turtlegirl76 said...
    Yay socks! They came out great!
    Cas... said...
    Very pretty! You did a great job!

    It feels good to have completed such a aggravating project doesn't it?

    Keep up the good work!
    Channon said...
    Beautiful! I never got into Anastasia either.
    Sereknitty said...
    Yay for persevering! They turned out great!
    deltapurl said...
    cute
    diddlinaknits said...
    oooo I like them! you did an great job and sometimes the best things take the longest. that's how is usually is for me ;)
    well worth all the trouble, i say!
    Michelle said...
    OH those are very pretty!!!!
    Karine said...
    Ah man! I thought that maybe a lace patter wouldn't be good for the Noro yarn, now I'll be flipping through my lace st book LOL.
    moo said...
    So nice looking! And worth the comment wait!!!
    Harlem Purl said...
    What wonderful sock eye candy! I luv 'em!

Post a Comment