Monday, April 28, 2008

NCEE Road Trip!

Yeah I am into acronyms lately! ;op Haha!

But actually picked this one up from Mrs. Purls who texted me to tell NCEE "Hello"...I was like who is "Niecy"?!? Well that would be the North Carolina Ebony Elite sistahs!! :oD

We gathered with each other again to do our Yarnsploration in Winston Salem!

**Warning: Picture Heavy Post = super long entry**

When we arrived in downtown WS the Art Unleashed! Pet Parade & Festival was going on and it look liked this Folks were walking around everywhere and Trade Street was closed off. Beautiful art and lots of booths! Even an area to get a chair massage (I was tempted briefly! ;op)

Our lovely hostess Renee greeted us wearing her lovely Summertime Tunic!!

It was perfect for the weather!

And then the rest of the gang arrived!Even little Baby Ryanwho we all made the baby blanket for back in January at our last gathering. Precious!! He was such a sweetie!!

Before we could even begin yarn shop hopping, of course we had to eat!We went to a really great restaurant called Sweet Potatoes! If you are ever in WS you MUST go!!! GAWD food and so affordable!! Just look at the menu! Did you see the desserts too?!? *whew*

So there was good peopleand good food going on!

We had fried green tomatoes and okra for starters. And the mambo chicken (bottom two) was awesome!! I also had a taste of Desiree's sweet potatoes hot brown (top right) which is sliced turkey with mushrooms, diced tomatoes, crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese sauce atop a warm sweet potato biscuit Did y'all read that?!? I gotta get that next time!!! And of course we had sweet potato french fries!! YUM!

Over lunch I noticed our mommy-to-be Toni knitted a very nice bag (beautiful lined too! check out her blog for all the specs) and the cutest sweater wrap!!

I absolutely did not forget our two best little girls that were with us too! Nayomi & Lela had their cute little faces painted at the festival too :o)

And while on Trade St. during the festival we briefly stopped in a shop called Body and Soul.

Here are the little mementos I walked away with

I thought these were unique items I wouldn't come across anytime soon, so I had to take them with me ;o) As you can see I had a thing for hearts that afternoon!

Our next stop was to our first yarn shop visit at

Here is the NCEE crew during this trip - Desiree, Toni, Debora, Renee, Wendy, and Nik

This shop, as the name implies, sells fabric for quilting and also supplies for needle pointing along with knitting of course!

I was quickly drawn into the variety of yarns they offered. There was lots of Araucania, and I loved the brown ones in Loa that is a boucle yarn which I normally don't go for at all, but didn't pick it up since I wasn't sure what to knit up with it...any suggestions??

As well as, beautiful bright spring/summer color yarns in Mountain Colors and Colinette was stocked too.

And of course my 2nd yarn luv was there too!

I heard of the Malabrigo being sold in natural just never saw it in person! And yes! I resisted!! ;op

Believe it or not I actually put myself on a temporary yarn diet (notice the key word ;op as I am not sure how long it will last). But I really need to go on a 'fiber fast' until I can get thru some of what I already have!

With that being said I saw this WIP at the front table as soon as I walked in.and it is no surprise why I was quickly drawn to it ;o) Haha! It is the Noro sock yarn being worked up in lace. Well shoot! I already have that yarn in my stash so all I needed was the pattern

Got it now! ;oD Can't wait to CO on for it soon!

Next stop was to

Knit Picky is a nice shop that is in a quaint house with a great set upI lurve that big soft red leather couch! They also had the cutest mini wheel! And I really liked how the yarn was organized.

The biggest treat was getting to see Nikki and Kim again, that I briefly meet earlier this month at the Yarn Harlot book signing

Nik had me dying laughing, the day before we met up, in saying that they would be our 'Albino Ebony Elite sistahs' LOL!

It was so great seeing them again and really wish I had more time to spend with them just sittin' & knittin'. Definitely will make that work out next time!!

I did pick up a few more things here as well

I got my lovely shawl pin there, another lantern moon project bag in silver, and some more knit klips!

I was so proud of myself that I stuck to my no yarn fast! :oD Yah!!

It did get very warm later on in the day and after we worked off our wonderful lunch and worked out our credit cards we got a cool sweet treat :o)

and headed to Blue Ridge! I scream! U scream! We all scream for ice cream!! Yah! :oD

And this was my ice cream!Moravian sugar cookie with fresh cut strawberries, caramel, whip cream with a sugar cone on top! Yep! That hit the spot!

I must say Renee really gave us a great visit to WS! Thanks so much for being our hostess with the mostess!! ;op It is always great to get together with NCEE!

On the way back up the highway towards home I couldn't pass up the opportunity to stop in at the Rack Room Outlet! And got these

See! It isn't yarn!! Haha!! And I am still getting my GW on! ;op

38 Comments:

  1. Ally Jay said...
    Well done for resisting temptation. I was totally wowed by all those gorgeous yarns and would defionitely subcumbed. Heavily.
    Adrienne said...
    Girl so glad you guys had a good time!!!! I wish more knitters lived down here! LOL
    Anonymous said...
    That's amazing you made it out without any yarn!
    urbanknitrix said...
    Sounds like so much fun. And the shot of the ice cream OMG!!! Looks so delicious!
    Jada said...
    Wow you guys had a great time!That ice cream looked goooooooddd!!
    Anonymous said...
    I too am learning there's more to a yarn shop than the fiber. Patterns, accessories, etc. And I love the gratuitous wheel shot! ;)

    That ice cream looks so good...
    CiCi and CAJtalk said...
    awwww great post with all the sistah love going on. Thanks for sharing that with us.
    MrsPurls said...
    Niecy....ROFLMAO!!!! You are hilarious! I hate missing the ladies this time! I will be sure to avail myself for the next meet up!!!
    Knitaholictoo said...
    I'm "je-lis"! Nothing like good friend, good food and yarn shopping!
    Melissa Morgan-Oakes said...
    OK, if being an Albino EES gets me that kind of field trip?? Sign me right up. You have the GREATEST yarn-ventures!!!

    I cannot believe you resisted the natural Malabrigo. Imagine, custom dyed Malabrigo, made with your own hands...
    Lu said...
    Seeing this made me want to take a road trip. I agree with Adrienne, it would be so nice to have that many knitting buddies to have fun with like that.
    Sheila said...
    Fun was clearly had by all and cute shoes.
    Reckless Glue said...
    action packed! I am totally jealous ;)
    Liz said...
    Wow, wow, wow-at the yarn. the food, the ice cream, the shoes...where shall I stop?! What a fab day, you look like you had so much fun! Now, does it mean I am on a temporary yarn diet, because I didn't buy any today?!!!!!
    Renee said...
    I had a blast on Saturday! Thanks to Stacey and the other EE'ers for meeting me in Winston-Salem - we'll have to meet again soon!
    TURBOchic said...
    For the boucle yarn suggestion, knit up a "Bad Penny." I have on and I love it. It looks great on everyone whose knit it...now bad to reading the rest of the post.
    Ursula said...
    What a great trip! Thanks for sharing all the fun in the photos. I swear I could smell your lunch at Sweet Potatoes. Oh, YUM. I love sweet potatoes and would love some of those recipes! I mus say those shoes are awesome!
    Cas... said...
    Wow! Looks like you guys had a fabulous time! You should be very proud of yourself for not buying any yarn. Now the trick is to not start buying more of something else.

    That food looks delicious! I mean really good! You got my mouth watering!

    Your shawl looks fabulous! I love the pattern! You look so glamorous!

    Work it out!
    Regg said...
    Hi there

    Thanks for dropping by and lots of lovely pics u got there!

    Hope to see more of your FO soon. :D
    Sereknitty said...
    Wow, what a funfilled weekend! Mine pales in comparison :) Let me know if you ever plan on coming to Vancouver and I'll show you the sights!
    Anonymous said...
    As always, it looks like you guys had a great time! Yay!
    KimT said...
    GIRL! How can I be down?!!!!! I wanna be a NCEE!!!!!!!! You ladies know how to do it right! Looks like a good time was had by all, as usuall!
    cpurl17 said...
    Wow! You girls really do have a good time! Good friends, good food, cute kids and yarn--really does it get any better?
    Anonymous said...
    Wow! With all of your jam-packed weekends, how do you ever get any knitting accomplished?! How adorable are those kids, especially the baby! Swoon!
    Anonymous said...
    wow that was some trip you had. Looked like lots of fun!!
    Saun said...
    I'm rather jealous of all the fun and fibery goodness. You make me wish I still lived in NC.
    Anonymous said...
    It looks like you had a great time. I don't know if I would be able to resist the Malabrigo. You're good.
    Michelle B said...
    You are stronger than me resisting temptaion! I wouldn't be that strong! I can't go into a new shop and not buy something! Looks like you guys had an awesome day!
    Still Patrice said...
    loads of fun huh!!!

    Cute shoes very GW!
    Connie said...
    Looks like you all had an awesome time together...and omgosh these food pic's are making me so hungry!!!

    Those look like fun yarn shops too!
    Kamika said...
    You guys look like you had a ball. Great food, great people, pretty babies, and yarn. Now that's a great combination. I'm off to check out Toni's blog. That purse is cayuute!
    Anonymous said...
    Sounds and looks like an awesome outing! You did so unbelievably well on your yarn diet! I am very impressed :)
    diddlinaknits said...
    Wow-so much fun and i am amazed you were able to handle yourself so well-i would have been totally week and come home with so much yarn lol I wish i had knitting friends here.
    Eb the Celeb said...
    Amazing pics... and I just love love love chocolate babies... Ryan is adorrable...

    You know you got me feenin for some icecream right now right... that mess looked soooooooo good!
    QueenDBW said...
    Great post!! Were you a photographer in a past life?!?! I honestly did not remember some of those shots. I had a great time and I cannot wait till we do it again. Hopefully, I'll update my blog tonite.

    Des
    Jeanine said...
    Great Pics. Looked like a fun day!
    Sourire11 said...
    I would NOT have been able to resist that undyed malabrigo! Looks like you had a really fun day!
    Anonymous said...
    Yes, I'm late with the comment, but better late than never :).

    This looks like it was such a fun day. My daughter was in the pet parade with her puppy. I really can't wait to go to W-S for a yarn crawl now. Such fun!

Post a Comment