Thursday, October 09, 2008

Deuce Deuce

Remember when this little guy was helping me knit this project up last summer (July 07 to be exact ;op)?? Well it was finally completed this summer and gifted in time to mail out to one of my very close friends for her birthday! She is also a knitter and crocheter herself, so it was nice to know she would so "get" what it took to make her present! :o) Thanks for remembering to send me a pic gurl!!

Yes yes yes...I know 'tis not the season right now! It is more like the time for fingerless gloves and sweater knitting. ;op

Despite the yo-yo weather here lately, this past weekend was bright, sunny and really nice!

So come along for the blog ride and close out my '08 summer projects with me :o)

~ Project Details ~


Pattern: The Lillian Tank by Delicious Stitches who is a young and super talented lady! I discovered her last year blog hopping and really like her designs whenever she pops up on the scene.

Size: Medium, Bust 36-38

Time: Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell...forever Haha!

As I mentioned, this project was started last summer and then put in hibernation until this spring. Finally getting the gumption to squeak it out and in the mail for one of my besties birthday in August :o) Her tank is also considered a PIF commitment too (2 out of 3 now)!

And in the process of knitting the 1st tank I knew I wanted one for myself too

Hence Deuce Deuce! :o)

This truly is not a long knit project at all (my motivation was just non-existent on this one for some reason). It does keep you interested with the lace and minimal stockinette.

Needles: On the 1st tank I used US5 & US6 needles, and then on 2nd tank I used US4 & US5 for a tighter stitch since I am a loose knitter.

Yarn: On the white tank it is in the recommended yarn TLC Cotton Plus, and this was my first time using that particular yarn and knitting in all white!

I liked the idea of having a girly white tank top. The TLC Cotton Plus is cost effective and easy enough to knit with; not to mention the throw in the washer and dryer aspect gets a thumbs up from me!!

The second tank is made with Lion Brand Cotton Ease, and this was also my first time knitting with this yarn and liked it more than the TLC as it doesn't have that "sticky" feel to it.

Cost: Both projects only took 2.5 hanks of yarn, not much at all!!

And all yarn was bought on sale at the good ole box store AC M.oore :o) So each top was about $12 each!

What I learned: Even though I didn't finish this project until much much later and many many projects later, this was actually my first taste in lace knitting. And it was very interesting! :o) All lace is YOs and K2togs that makes very pretty things! Neat!

So glad I picked a project with aran weight yarn to try out lace.

This was also my first stab at truly picking up stitches for a neckline (prior to all the other F.O.s that came after this debut! Haha), hence why I had severe procrastination syndrome on this project. And my Knitter Anxiety (KA) had kicked in a major way!!

I did discover a neat little trick to close "the gap" in corners of my knitting of socks or necklines (that I obviously forgot to do on my 2nd tank since I had already ripped out my neckline twice, so the trick ended up being an afterthought).

When you come to the gap, simply pick up only the left leg of the 'V' and then the right leg of the other 'V' and knit them together. Viola it is gone!

Modifications: After knitting the first tank I discovered that there were a few changes I wanted to make.

On both tanks I shortened it by one lace repeat (3 total) as I didn't want it very long in length.

But on the second production of this tank I shortened the straps (only 27 rows) and chest area (only 8 rows in front and 43 in back) to have the ribbing area come directly under my bust versus it hanging so low like it did on the white version (also think the back hangs pretty low too)

With the ribbing I went down one needle size and on the armholes only did 4 rounds, but did the recommended 5 rounds for the neckline before binding off.

I could have (and should have) went down to the small size, but was concerned about having a too snug fit. Looking back now the small size would have worked out just fine.

Verdict: A good pattern to venture out in garments, the only thing to be cautious of is that it knits from the bottom up so fitting can be hard to determine. Now that I've knitted a few garments, I truly don't care for bottom up patterns.

Even though I did this project twice (which rarely happens unless it is something short and quick) I honestly was not all that crazy about this tank top. It is not one of my favorite items and don't think I will be rushing to wear it either. I was way more excited about doing it on the front end then I am about the actual product...oh well.

I did have a fun time taking pics of it to close out my summer projects!I luv putting my very own "Nigel" (for those who watch A.N.T.M.) to work in doing my own "America's Next Top Knitter" photo shoot! ;op She is so good to put up with me! Haha!

36 Comments:

  1. Kamika said...
    Yeah, I'm first! Love the tanks. Your both look great. Welcome to the world of lace, eventhough you've been here a while. LOL
    Sereknitty said...
    You look fabulous in your tank! You're probably just sick of looking at it (having knit two) ... put it away until next summer, take it out then and realize anew how hot you look in it :)
    Adrienne said...
    You look wonderful dahhhling!!! Love your Nigel! That is a sexy man to me lol
    Anonymous said...
    You may not like the tank but it looks fabulous on you! Sometimes I think we spend so much time on a knitted piece that we get sick of it. But your tank lokks great, fits great and the color is wonderful on you.
    turtlegirl76 said...
    I'm so happy for you that you finished the both of them! I know the white one was like a monkey on your back for a little while. It's done and it looks great on your friend! I love the cotton ease version on you too. Great job.
    Anonymous said...
    How is it that everything you make looks fabulous on you?! Everything I make looks like a paper sack on me!!! Those tanks are great and make me long for Spring again....
    urbanknitrix said...
    Awesome, I love both of them. Great work. Get your model on then!!
    SissySees said...
    Two lovely ladies in two lovely tanks! You go girl!!
    Anonymous said...
    Love the tanks! They look beautiful on both of you. So pretty!
    Cas... said...
    Great knitted tops! I really like them both. You did a terrific job as usual.

    So that's your photographer. She's definitely good at taking good photos of your projects and you.

    Keep up the good work!
    Stacey said...
    Those both look fantastic! Go you!
    Don said...
    Stace,

    so now I finally have a name to call that particular design the next time I witness it - lace knitting. You are a good knitter and it was good seeing you flash that smile of yours.

    I remember that little teddy bear.
    Anonymous said...
    Ooo I love them both!! What a flattering pattern...that one's a keeper. Not that knitters ever really knit themselves two of anything!
    Anonymous said...
    I love your tanks. Although I'm partial to the red, as my own Lillian Top is in red, I love the white. I've never used Lion Brand Cotton yarn but I do have plenty of TLC Cotton Plus and I really like working with it.

    Your mods worked well in the second version, too.

    G'head with your sexy self! :o)
    Sheila said...
    I love the knitted tops! They are perfect for pairing with a suit, so disregard the fact that its getting cold.
    TURBOchic said...
    WooHOO! Some some skin on those closeups!
    Harlem Purl said...
    Great job! I actually have that pattern in my queue. You definitely make me wanna give it a try. If I start now, I should be done in time for spring the way I knit.
    cici said...
    They both are beautiful. I would like to try the Lillian Tank, I love how the pattern stitch looks.
    Michelle B said...
    OH those are both adorable!!!!! I think you might be more in luv with it next summer!!!
    Still Patrice said...
    CUTE!! and such a nice gift!
    Zonda said...
    Love them both! Good job on them. Thanks for the hints too!
    Robin said...
    Great pictures! You both look fabulous in your tanks! I agree with you on the aran weight yarn for the lace - I don't like anything lighter than DK weight for it.
    Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...
    Both tanks look great!
    Octopus Knits said...
    Both tops are lovely! What a nice gift :)
    Unknown said...
    Great job on both!

    You're a really good friend.
    tina said...
    Both tanks are really lovely----- what a lucky friend you have!

    I love garments like these, oh to have lovely arms! :(
    Liz said...
    Wow, it's lovely. Great neckline on you too!
    Anonymous said...
    Love them! Such different colors, but both are so pretty. Glad you were able to finish them!
    Jeanine said...
    How cool is that! It looks great on the BOTH of you. What a lucky friend.
    Anonymous said...
    What a great tank! I'm going to have to knit those next summer. Way to work the modeling. :)
    WandaWoman said...
    I really love it. I wasn't sure about that pattern, but it does look good on you. By the time next summer rolls around, you might even like it! :-)
    KimT said...
    So talented! You look great in both colors.
    diddlinaknits said...
    Oma is gone so i am catching up :) Your tops look great. your friend is very lucky to get a top knit by you :) And i am sure your "Nigel" is wonderful but i know i wouldn't mind having the real Nigel photograph me ;)
    Aura said...
    Great pictures, Stacey. First I wanted to thank you for your comment on my blog. I decided to come back to blogging to record highlights from our wonderful Italy vacation. Do come back. I'll be posting more stories and pictures. I love the new look of your blog and I enjoyed reading about the tank. It's beautiful. By the way you also look great in the pictures.
    smariek said...
    They both look great!
    Deb said...
    Wow! What a beautiful job on these tanks! Your blog is great! I like how you explain & share your learning experiences with each project.

Post a Comment