Monday, May 25, 2009

The Start of....

knitting occurred this M.emorial D.ay weekend!

I decided to do a quick and cute purse since I've been sitting on this cute purse handle from last year

So I eagerly started knitting again since I've been hooking so much,
with some of my fav yarn of couse! :o)

and even tried a new technique

Double Knitting!!!! I really enjoy it!! Even though I am still fumbling thru on how to exactly do the increases and decreases...suggestions/help anyone??

Well as fun and challenging as this project has been..it has not been going well :o(

I first wasted 2 hours of my knitting life to discover what was frogged I really was doing correctly...sigh. So I started again.

And then realized my purse handle was NOT going to match up with my knitting

DOH!!!! Too big (and too thick to fit b/c of the double knitting)! Ugh!

.....Soooooo I will have to order a new handle, which completely defeats the purpose of having a free handle *rolls eyes* As you can see I refuse to start over, but also refuse to keep knitting right now....back to crocheting!!!

That darn baby blanket which I am sick of working on now....it is big enough so gonna end it soon. Besides the baby shower is this upcoming Saturday, so that will be a wrap either way!

Despite the start of my knitting coming back and the start of my crochet fever now wearing off...

It is the unofficial start of summer! You really can't kick off a M.emorial D.ay right unless you have some of this
I have waaaaay too much of it
the lid won't even fit on top of this bowl...whew!

Hope everyone is having a nice holiday. And I definitely want to take a moment to honor all the soldiers who have put their life on the line for our country protection and my freedom!!!

16 Comments:

  1. Walden said...
    Good luck on the purse, I still haven't gotten the hang of double knitting. The watermelon looks so good!
    Knitaholictoo said...
    Been looking all over for that style purse handle...PM me would ya! I've been rrippin' and rripppin here, too! Oiy! Now I lost my mojo! Glad to see you working up your crochet! ; ) MMMMMhhhhmmm melon pit fights : P
    caknitter said...
    The watermelon looks delicious. You can smoothies if you have a lot of leftovers...just a thought.
    Hang in there with your knitting and crocheting. I'm going through the same thing.
    Happy Memorial Day!
    Adrienne said...
    All I want to do is sew lol.

    Good luck with the purse!!! I can't help you with that lol.

    You KNOW we had our watermelon! LOL
    diddlinaknits said...
    Oh i wish i could help i have only done straight double knitting, nothing with increases and decreases. Good luck-i know the FO post on this one will be really really good with everything you have been learning and frogging :)
    Oh your watermelon looks so good. i love watermelon but i always gets the precut ones cause i dont know how to buy a whole watermelon-i never know the tricks to picking one thats good.
    Have a great day and week!
    CiCi and CAJtalk said...
    Happy Memorial Day!!! I have enjoyed these 3 days off. I haven't tried double knitting yet. Your bag is going to be great, maybe it will be finished the majority of it when the new handle arrives. Have a good week♥
    Cas... said...
    Looking good! I can't wait to see your finished product.

    I hope your memorial day was good too!
    betty said...
    Hi -- I know how to do the decreases, but I don't know if I can explain it well. Here goes...
    In the double knitting, I assume you are doing sl 1 and K1 on each side, where the sl 1 becomes the K1 on the opposite site. So, when you come to a decrease point, you sl 1, then instead of K1, you put 1 stitch onto a cable needle in front, sl the next stitch, then place the CN stitch onto the left needle, then K2tog(or ssk) 2 stitches. Mark this spot, because you will do a companion decrease on the other side when you see the 2 knit stitches next to each other without a slipped stitch in between. You will K2tog (or ssk) those 2 stitches. This results in a decrease on each side. I don't know if that made any sense, but I tried my best :)
    urbanknitrix said...
    Good for you double knitting. I have a pattern that I look at every winter to double knit a hat and then I put it right back in my pattern book. One day....one day..
    I STILL haven't started practicing crocheting for my baby blanket. I guess I need to start before the baby is 12.

    That watermelon looks SO DANG GOOD. Sweet. OMG!!
    SissySees said...
    Yay for you and double knitting. I haven't tried that yet.

    The watermelon looks great!
    tiennie said...
    Great stuff!

    Oh how I miss watermelon with seeds. We just have the bland seedless kind around here and it's just not as sweet.
    Anonymous said...
    Oh dear. I've never tried double knitting, but it intrigues me. Good luck!
    tina said...
    well first of all, good for you to take on a new technique. There are so many--- and personally I don't have to do all of them. (DO I?) Double Knitting's number has not come up! :)

    Now watermelon, that is a something I am so happy to be doing the summer dance with! Yay!
    kim said...
    Oh, that's too bad. I was just thinking how cleven you were to be able to do double knitting AND figure our how to use those purse frames. Have a great weekend!
    Andrea said...
    That purse looks like it's coming along nicely. Love it. I haven't done double knitting before. And to top everything off, you made me go a crave watermelon. I hope you had a wonderful holiday. Mine was nice a quiet.
    k_purls2 said...
    Oh, keep going! I want to see it. I bought a book, can't remember the name right now, but it has luxury knits that use one skein. There were coin purses in their and I really wanted one and have been looking on line for where to buy those coin purse handles. your back looks lovely in noro. Cool!

Post a Comment