Thursday, August 02, 2007

Fin! Sugar 'N Spice

I actually have something to "show 'n tell" on F.O. Friday! WHOA!

I am happy to report that Sugar 'N Spice is all seamed up! So I can now officially log it in as FIN! :oD

Some of you recall me being smitten with this pattern since April! During my stalking/lurking blog time, I happened to notice another fellow knitter Sheep in the City (Stacey) knit it up for her niece awhile ago and I knew I just had to do it for my niece too!

I had yet to knit anything for India and her 4th birthday was coming up (August) so I thought this would be a nice gift made by her favorite auntie! :oD

Here is the front of the pullover. Not sure what is up with the wave look...pixel issues?...oh well

The colors, just in case your eyes/monitor is playing tricks on you, are pink and orange. I love this color combo!!

Click Here for Larger View

I knitted up a larger size for India per recommendation of Stacey so she could get more wear out of it. I am sure if I had a "mommy" antenna I would have automatically known to do that too! :op So I know this will be way too big for her right now.

And here is the back of the pullover

Click Here for Larger View

Looks about the same right?? LOL Well you may notice a keyhole opening at the top :o) With the cutest button!!! Look at Crimson Purl making button holes! WHOA! Okay granted the easiest kind you could make (a crocheted loop).

And of course I had to put my garment label on the inside of her custom made pullover!Did someone check out that I actually crocheted! LOL Let me tell ya! The pattern called for SC the entire neckline, which I am glad I did b/c it gave the garment a nice "finished" look and hid some of my loose joins. But lets not talk about how it took me an hour to do that very small circumference!! HA! I am sure I will get better at crocheting soon! Lizard Ridge will break me in real good :op

The sleeves were my biggest challenge of this project since I had never put together a garment before and was dreading to do it. Hence, why this U.F.O. sat on my couch for over 2 months all knitted up and nowhere to go. If it wasn't for the fact that India's birthday is this weekend, it would still be sitting right there!

Setting the cap sleeves in was not that bad but making sure it was all lined up got me. It was a little bit off under one arm sleeve so I had some excessive "pinching" of fabric. But the other one went perfectly! (The one photographed! LOL) and for some reason my seaming wasn't totally seamless on the other side, you could see some of the sleeves borders...but whatever it was 1AM and I needed to get it out in the mail! (Of course I waited until the last minute!)

I did have to package it up all cute for her! I mean really what 4 year old is going to be excited about a knitted pullover! LOL Lets be honest here! This was all for my pleasure! :oDI was thrilled to find a pink & orange beanie animal and a cute pink & orange gift bag. It was a perfect match! Along with some other goodies.

As we "read" her special birthday package is on the way to Wisconsin (yep that is where I am from - born & raised).

This was not a perfect knit - I am speaking specifically about the seaming (crocheted edging), BUT I am proud of my 1st completed garment! :oD

I told y'all I like to make tiny versions first before branching out to big people clothing!

~Project Details~


Pattern: Sugar ‘n Spice by Minnow Knits
Needles: Denise US5 (should have used a US4 to get a better gauge with the yarn) and ‘E’ hook
Yarn: Unknown! There were no ball bands on them at all (got the yarn from a closeout sale). All I know is that it is 100% cotton/100 yards a ball. Used 2 balls in pink and 1.5 in the orange.
Size: 6 year old (largest size per pattern)
Cost: Yarn $11, button $3
For: My beautiful soon-to-be 4 year old niece for her birthday!
Time: About 10 days - knitting on it here and there (very fast), but I procrastinated with the seaming BIG time!
What I learned: SEAMING was the biggest thing for me. How to do it on a miniature item. Particularly sewing vertical stockinette with horizontal stockinette. Setting in sleeves. What selvage stitches are!! :op Crocheting around an edge as a finishing and making a button hole. What the heck is a hem line in knitting! :op Oh! And how to work both sides separately.
Modifications: Omitted the hem line by adding a ruffle border at bottom. Omitted their decorative shoulder binding and did it seamless.
Verdict: Would definitely knit this up again for a little munchkin! I am glad that I don’t know what kind of yarn I used because it split very badly! The ply was terrible and I would never use it again. I also would change my needle size if I used cotton again by going down one.

29 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    this is just beautiful, and great photos, its shows off all the details and love your tag, it makes it look ready made.
    Adrienne said...
    Look at you! I love it! Love the close up pic!!!!
    Wendy said...
    Oh my... sooooo cute! Your neice is going to love it! You might just be surprised, my friend's neices love to get new knits from her. She's constantly knitting something for one of them. It's a never ending cycle now!
    Lu said...
    that is entirely too cute. what a wonderful job you did. i hope you join in the art journaling group. it is all about having fun.
    MrsPurls said...
    Yeah!! I glad you finished it! It looks gorgeous! I just love the button on the back. Look at you crocheting!!! Get it girl!
    Cas... said...
    Dear that is too cute for words! I love it! You might be surprised. You niece may love it more than the toys that went with it. Some kids like clothes and the colors you used will be a hit for sure.

    Good Job!
    Oh, and crocheting is very easy and fun. You will love it!
    Stacey said...
    It looks so cute...and in my favorite colors too! Your niece is going to love it! Way to go Stacey!
    KelInCal said...
    Beautiful sweater! I love the color combo - great job!
    Unknown said...
    How cute! Kid knits are the thing this week. good tip about knitting up a size.
    Robin said...
    Very cute!! I like that button. LOL on the mommy antenna - I'm missing it too and would have needed the help! I also like the way you wrapped it up - so cute. Have a great weekend!
    Karen said...
    What a great top! You did a fantastic job! Thanks for the comment you left on my blog a few weeks ago, about the Ogee lace skirt. I just posted an update with a link to a tutorial for a provisional cast on. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with :)
    Jada said...
    That is beautiful!!!The colors you used are perfect together.I know she will love it!!You did good girlfriend!!!!!!
    Kamika said...
    The ladybug button is too cute! Love the top and how you ca war din ate it (remember that from th Wayans?) the bag and toy.
    Kate said...
    Thank you for the sweet comments on my blog! I love that little sweater - I think little kids look so cute in handmade things, it's like they are wearing a hug. :)
    Unknown said...
    How lovely! The button is just too cute.
    i-can-d.i.y said...
    a beauty ! wow she'll love this ! go auntie/ go auntie go !
    Still Patrice said...
    Stacey it came out so pretty! I love the colors, all bright and stuff! She'll love it!
    WandaWoman said...
    I remember when Stacey made this, way cute. Very nice and Miss India will love it.
    Anonymous said...
    What a beautiful top - the colors, the workmanship, even the label are just perfect in my opinion! You should be very proud of yourself! Let me know when you begin the KAL for the 'Silver Belle.'
    Gena said...
    Oh, that is just too cute! I love the ruffles, and especially the cute ladybug!
    Devonshire said...
    Love that color combo! How cute is that top and the button, very perfect!

    It looks gorgeous!
    KnittyLynn said...
    What a lovely sweater! I have 2 little girls and this is going in my queue!
    And how adorable with the packaging and beanie.

    She's a lucky little girl.
    Anonymous said...
    Oh my, that is TOO TOO cute! You did a fantastic job & that button...just perfect.
    Sheila said...
    The details are too cute, the button and label. Your neice is going to love it and the color is just perfect.
    turtlegirl76 said...
    It turned out great! Beautiful job!
    Anonymous said...
    cute, cute!!! i'd been missing your blogging for the past few days. be sure to update us with pictures of your adorable niece in her too cute top. it turned out simply gorgeous, even better looking than the stuff in the stores!!! great job with the crochet edging and fantastic photos!!!
    Jackie said...
    This is beautiful, wat a lovely gift.
    Anonymous said...
    I cannot believe it...when on vacation I only went to two or three knit stores and one store twice because I saw this pattern that I could not find here near L.A. I am making this for granddaughter #2 in Mission Falls Cotton. Love it! Yours, Stacey, looks great!
    Anonymous said...
    So sweet! I love the button. It's the perfect touch.

Post a Comment