Monday, January 28, 2008

Baby Fun!

How was your weekend? I had a great one! *Warning: picture heavy*

Ended up in Greensboro to have some surprise "baby fun" lunch with a few of the N.C. Ebony Elite women! We meet up back in October and had such a fab time that we wanted to do it again, especially when we discovered that Debora was expecting a baby (thought it was me huh? Haha)!

Toni came up with the great idea that we could all knit up squares for her and make a baby blanket!

So we came together again under the 'guise' of having a "get together" lunch :o)

And you know we went right back to the fabulous Ganache restaurant!! That meant we ate GAWD again!

I had the shrimp & grits sans the pork (the menu was awesome with vegi lasagna, crawfish & shrimp gumbo, chicken tempura salad etc.)and dessert was a white chocolate raspberry cake (decided to be a tad different) that I had to take 'to go' b/c I was F-U-L-L

with the wonderful toppings. This reminded me of the Danish layered cakes from back home in WI. On the way out I could not resist getting their Coconut Macaroon bagged up!

This cookie was DIVINE!!!! I actually liked it better than the cake! ;op

After we ate ourselves almost into a coma! LOL We presented Debora with the blanket

and she was pleasantly surprised

it was neat seeing all of our squares come together to make a nice warm blanket for her baby boy who will be here very soon.

So after our 'Baby Fun' you know we had to have some Yarn Fun! :oD

We went back to Yarns, Etc. which is right down the street from Ganache! This is also where Spinners Ridge is located just right in the back of the store. They have all kinds of roving, wheels, and looms there, look!

I was all set to get some Manos del Uruguay that I had eyed last time I was there, but they didn't have any in the shop....darn!

Here are the ladies in front of Yarns, Etc.

And the shop's display was all decorated for Valentine's coming up!

Next stop was to This and That which from my understanding the majority of the crafters in the area call their fav LYS.

This shop carries a variety of yarns, but also other items such as purses, jewelry, and candles (hence why they are called 'This and That ;op).Look Nik! Your hat! (and I liked that wrap - of course they didn't have anymore of that Twinkle yarn in that bright red! Ugh!)

But my mind was still set on getting my red Manos yarn! Which they didn't have there either :0( Well at least they carried it and had lots of various Malabrigo! Which made me happy but weren't in the colors I wanted!

They had this interesting Cherry Tree Hill 'Loopy Mohair'

I so don't like mohair! Haha! But that intrigued me ;op

While the other ladies did a lot of shopping

I finally found "something" to buy, since my money was burning a hole in my pocket! Haha! (I actually ended up spending more money in H.obby L.obby that night when I got home! Go figure!)

The Diva candle! :oD How fitting! And it smells really good! It has a rich aroma of chocolate and amber, which ended up being a good match for me since I love ambers and sandlewoods, not to mention chocolate scents!

BUT it reminded me why I do not like to burn candles....sigh all the freakin' smoke/fumes from the wick while burning and blowing it out...you see that black bulb on the end there? Ugh!

The irony is that when I first visited this LYS back in October it turned me off with all of those various knick knacks. I just wanted to get yarn without all the extras! Now look what I ended up walking out with....a knick knack! ;op Haha!

I really had a great time with all of you wonderful ladies!
(Debora: mother-to-be! Toni w/ her daughter Lela, Me, Wendy, and Renee)
Can't wait for us to do it again!!

Oh! And on the way back to the Queen City I discovered that knitting really is my Zen :o)

"Someone" got us lost (don't ask - I know it is a straight shot from Gboro to CLT!) which turned us around about 30 minutes or so. But I swear if it wasn't for this
I would have been so irritated! Haha! But wasn't phased at all! Gotta love some knitting to keep you focused!

33 Comments:

  1. Adrienne said...
    I am so mad at you lol now you have me craving shrimp and grits!!!! LOL glad you guys had fun!!!
    cici said...
    awww that was so fun... I would love to hang out with some cool ladies such as yourselves...Thanks for sharing that.
    MrsPurls said...
    The blanket turned out great! I hate that I missed you all this time!!! Next Ebony Elite its on...Queen City Style!!!!
    Anonymous said...
    It's so funny to see the picture of Yarns Etc and recognize it. we were in Greensboro two summers ago for a soccer tournament and I dropped the guys off at a golf course and spent the day checking out all the yarn shops. Greensboro is a great city for shopping. Your day looked like a fun time - and the blanket is great!
    Jada said...
    That was a beautiful blanket you guys made.I know she loved it.
    You guys are always having a knitting fun day!
    Connie said...
    I love shrimp and grits! It looks like you had a great time and that yarn shop looks fun.

    I have to laugh at you both getting lost on the way home... too funny!

    Glad you had something to knit, so that is a hint at who was driving...LOL
    Carmell said...
    i need some knitting sistahs!!!!!!!! i'm jealous.
    looks like ya'll had fun. that cake looks hella good!!!
    Renee said...
    I had such a great time - I can't wait until we can do it again!
    tina said...
    Well you have had a few really great days strung together!!!! Lucky you!

    I have a couple of those candles too and they always get that funky little blurpy ball on the top of the wick, even when you trim it off. I personally love the jar and the lid so I've recycled mine several times.

    What socks are you making 2x?
    Macoco said...
    Seriously, just looking at all of that food put me into a food coma! That cake...mmmm...it looks so good.
    Sheila said...
    You ladies definitely had a great time and the baby blanket is gorgeous. I love burning candles, and I have a knack for snipping the wick really short and use a candle snuffer to put out the flames, to prevent too much backdraft of smoke.
    KelInCal said...
    Glad you had a wonderful day with your friends! And that's a beautiful blanket - how thoughtful of you guys!
    Sereknitty said...
    I'm so jealous of your obviously fun, fabulous weekend! I spent the whole thing either in bed or lying on the couch ... nasty flu bug ... :P*** Although, I did get some knitting done, so it wasn't a complete loss! BTW, if you keep your candle wick trimmed to 1/4" or less, it will help reduce the smoke.
    Cas... said...
    Another fabulous knit circle meeting I see! That blanket is so pretty. You guys did a wonderful job for sure!

    The food looks divine! Absolutely mouth watering! I want to come visit too! LOL!

    Keep up the good work!
    Mama said...
    How much fun was that?! Good for you!

    ps: what's with the running out of Manos? Is NC going MdeU-free in the near future? : )
    Robin said...
    Looks like so much fun!! The shrimp and grits look like they were to die for!
    Debora said...
    I have to first say, “Thank you", to all the ladies who worked on the lovely baby blanket for my little sugar bear! I can't wait to post photos of him wrapped up in it. Only 7 more weeks to go . . . but I think it's more like 4 more weeks!!!!!

    I had such a wonderful time this weekend seeing you ladies. I hate some of you couldn't make it, but I am happy to have met Wendy and Renee. Maybe next time we all can make it . . . what crazy fun that will be!!!!

    Thank you all again for surprising a very round and pregnant woman with such a thoughtful and warm hearted gift!!!
    cpurl17 said...
    You're all so gorgeous!!
    Anonymous said...
    Gotta try those loafers. They sure are cozy looking.

    Love the blanket, with all that group love knitted in! What a great idea! Sorry there was no yarn for you to buy...
    Kristen said...
    The baby blanket was such a good idea - and I love that you chose to use colors a baby can actually see instead of pastels!

    P.S. I've also found that I'm way more patient on car trips if I have my needles & yarn with me. In fact, I look forward to traffic now!
    Anonymous said...
    Sounds like you had a great time!

    This was a really fun post to read :)
    WandaWoman said...
    I love that you all went back to that restaurant again. If I make back to Gboro, I am so going there! Dang that food looks good.

    Very nice surprise for your friend too!
    Anonymous said...
    Wow, what great photos--that looks like the best time. Thanks for sharing. Oh, and you all did an incredible job on that gorgeous blanket!
    Liz said...
    Looks like you had a fab time! Oh, oh, oh, those desserts I would die for. I expect they are Weight Watchers friendly, of course (he he)!! The blanket is gorgeous, and Valentiney as well! You, with your love of red, are a valentines knitter next month!!

    Hey, there's a surprise for you on my blog, have a look, you'll be impressed!!!!
    diddlinaknits said...
    Sounds like you had a wonderful time! And those goodies look delish!!!!! i have been craving some serious cake over here-not just some frozen thing i mean some fresh from teh bakery giant bad for you but so good cake lol that what happens when i clear the house of junk food-my sweet tooth goes into overdrive.
    Blanket look awesome-i like that you guys didnt use pastels.
    Glad you had so much fun!!
    Jeanine said...
    What an awesome day. Isn't it great when you can all get together for awesome knitted gifts?
    Monique said...
    Boy I wish I could have been there with you guys! And boy does the food look good! What a tease!
    WrkNProgress said...
    Glad you all had a blast. I love those black and white bags, I really like the one with splashy red tie.
    Sourire11 said...
    Looks like you guys had a fab day - cake and yarn? doesn't get any better than that. And the blanket you made your friend is beautiful!
    KimT said...
    oh, I wish I was there! Everytime you guys go to Ganashe my mouth waters! Good thing I live on the other side of the country, since i gave up sweets and all.
    Melissa Morgan-Oakes said...
    Good Lord I think I gained weight reading that. I wonder if I can get DH to stop in Greensboro on our way north...where is it...(digging out map)
    Batty said...
    Oh, wow. To say that you know how to have a good time would be an understatement. I'll be dreaming of that cake tonight... and of all that yarn.
    Janet Richards said...
    Looks like you had so much fun - I wish I could have made it. I hope to join you next time!

Post a Comment