Friday, May 02, 2008

The Do-Over!

Today was a good day :o)

I was able to get in my early voting for the primary election Yah!

And today was beautiful to wear my new F.O.!!!

I couldn't have ordered up more perfect weather!

~ Project Details ~

Pattern: This is Ms. Marigold by Zephyr Girls and she is "The Do-Over". Because last spring I started on one with lots of stars in my eyes and zeal in my needles! ;opIt is a great pattern, but my first run with it I had the wrong yarn :o(

Since I wouldn't heed to my inner voice and face reality I actually finished it up with the purple (minus the borders) but finally wised up, and this one is now balled up in a corner somewhere Haha!

Because I really don't feel like fussin' over it, I will more than likely just trash it. Especially at this point since it has been sitting all knitted up for almost a year! Haha!

Yarn: After much research on my very handy dandy Ravelry community. I noticed how my sistern Marigolds that I really liked were made with Elsebeth Lavold Silky TWEED.

Everyone keeps thinking it is in the wool but it's not (even though I would love to knit with the silky wool in the future!)

I love the "tweediness" about it :o)

It is made out of 40% silk, 30% cotton, 20% merino extra fine, and 10% viscose (what in the world is that?)

In colorway #11 called "Straw". Bingo! That is what it reminds me of when I think about it!

I like the speckles of orange, yellow, and dark brown.

But I really love the "look" of how it is knitted up!

It is a bit 'splitty' and sheds a bit, but I didn't mind it at all because it was looking that much better than how my first try came out!

I was so delighted I found the right yarn that worked out for me in this pattern! :o)

Size: I made the 'medium' size in the 36" bust and it fits me nice and comfy.

There was some negative ease to this pattern as I truly measure at 38" across the fullness of my chest. Not surprising, since negative ease is pretty common with the Zephyr patterns.

The pattern has you start out with knitting it almost like a vest before you join it in the round, which I thought that was interesting.

Time: I finally completed this on last Saturday (but had some hiccups/tweaks that needed to be made - more to read on that below).

However, I did mention that this is "The Do-Over" and I started the second try back in November ;op but sent it into "hibernation" mode since it was getting too cold outside to work on a silk/cotton blend fiber!

It started warming up around here, so I decided to pull it out again and finish it off!

Needles: I used my neglected Denise needles (lately I've been monogamous to my harmony sticks ;op) in US 5",

and then used some Susanne Rosewood needles in US 3" for the ribbing areasCost: I snatched up this yarn last summer during one of WEBS many closeout sales for only $3.99 a hank!!

This pattern only took 4 hanks with some to spare! ;o) So the project is valued at $16 bucks!

I do have 2 extra hanks (over estimated!)
I am also discovering Zephyr patterns have you end up getting more yarn than you truly need. But I rather have too much than not enough yarn.

So I need to figure out what I will be doing with my extra yarn.
And because I always value your feedback, any suggestions? :o)

What I learned: I finally sucked it up and picked up my neckline!! :o)

all 206 stitches! :oD Even got bold and did the armholes too!! Haha!

After that mini victory, I quickly discovered knitting is not always perfect

and my neckline was depressed on one side! (please excuse my bellydancing tank! ;op)

I went and ripped back on the neckline (and you know how much I detest going back!!), thinking I just had a lazy bind off on that side. It helped some to frog back, but I still didn't feel secure in the slight gapping that was still happening in that spot.

So after going to the BAM knitting group on Wednesday night I got the below suggested items based on Kate and Rachel (both blogless) being so very helpful ! Thank you ladies!Yes! That is a "blocking/pressing ham" :o) I had NO clue what that was, let alone the importance of it until the other night! Haha! And some elastic sewing string.

This is what you do with that fabric ham!Help it mold/block to a curve area! I also steamed blocked the ribbing as well.Then added the elastic string to help it pull in some

Viola!

I really liked and wanted my V to be "deep" ;o) Some knitters joined in the round earlier not to have that plunge look, which that was another factor of this pattern that attracted me.

By the way, you do work the neckline back and forth (which is different since most patterns have you do it in the round). Then you seam it to the mid-section (I did mattress of course).

Modifications: What initially attracted me to this pattern were the ruffle sleeves!!
But I ended up deciding not to do them! Go figure!
Afterall, that would hinder my GW flow wouldn't it!?! ;oD

I initially started out crocheting the armholes as the pattern suggested,
but after a very slow run (y'all know I am not proficient in that skill yet!) and it not looking all that smooth with this particular yarn I scrapped that!

So I went ahead (like a champ I might add! haha) and picked up the armholes for 3 rows of ribbing like my sistern counterparts did, so I just followed suit! ;o) I picked up 94 stitches on the right armhole, and only 82 on the left armhole. The 94 was perfect!

The other side bunched up a little bit on the front, but I left it b/c again I ain't ashamed to be called a lazy finisher! ;op Nothing a little steam blocking couldn't smooth out! :oD

Within the pattern itself I did the following:
~ Part B: Increased 4 times instead
~ Part E: It took me 3 increase repeats
~ Part F: Did the cable CO and followed Tip #2 doing two waist increases only to make room for my little b.uddha belly ;op

Other than that I followed exactly as written.

Verdict: I will be getting lots of wear out of this piece!!
And do it with a variety of looks: long sleeve, collar, short sleeve, and tanks

It felt really good to get this project off my WIP list!

And even better to exercise my right to vote (lookin' knitterly cute of course!)!!

50 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    WOO HOO!!! That looks wonderful on you. I also love the modifications. You owned that sweater and told it who's boss!! Now THAT is a knitting goddess at work!!

    Great job!
    Michelle B said...
    OHH Dhat is super cute!!!!!! darn you I've now got to add another knit to my list! LOL (I do have the pattern already-and I think some silky tweed from webs too-hmmmmm)
    Janet Richards said...
    Way to stick with it! It turned out great!

    And congratulations on the vote!! I voted on Tuesday - it felt so liberating!

    Now - to get out all the other folks!
    Jane Prater said...
    Nobody blogs a finished object better than you. I'm so pleased to see how you solved your problems. I appreciate the decision to just let it go. This is supposed to be FUN.
    Emily said...
    Hooray for voting and hooray for your cute FO!
    Zonda said...
    Very nice!! Thanks for showing us your help you got, will store that for future projects..well if needed ;)
    Sheila said...
    Luv It... as you know I'm a vest gal and like the rib stitches along the neckline. One of these days I will learn how to pick up stitches, in the meantime I just crochet the neckline...lol
    cici said...
    Way to go great post.. You are looking marvelous. I can tell that the weather is beautiful there. Thanks
    Adrienne said...
    GONE GIRL!!!!! It looks fantastic!!!!
    Cas... said...
    Another great FO! You did a good job and congratulations on picking up a UFO and getting it done.

    Keep up the good work!
    lekkercraft said...
    With all your work, it came out perfect! I bet you'll get a lot of wear out of it. it looks great on you!
    Denise said...
    That looks great on you and yes very versatile, I can see it with long or short sleaves or just a cami under it. Very cute.
    :)
    TURBOchic said...
    This is fabulous! I am really noticing how great everyone looks in a deep "V" vest and how is can add so much to a wardrobe. Thanks so much for sharing, but also for the level of detail. I read every word!
    Shameka said...
    I totally love that vest. The second time around is always better!! I can see a nice satiny ruffle shirt, or one of those shirts with a big bow in the middle... to dress it up or wear in the office. It is so cool that we can make clothes that are versatile. Also, I love your apparatus that you used for blocking. Keep it up!!!
    Tracy said...
    That is really cute...and what a great deal on the yarn! It was very interesting to read about your modifications and thoughts on the pattern, etc. And kudo for voting. I'm overseas...But I can't wait to send my absentee ballot in the fall! Happy Days :o)
    maceknits said...
    That looks great on you! The elastic string is a clever fix. I should keep that in mind for the future.
    Anonymous said...
    That looks great on you! I'll have to remember that little fix. I've looked at that yarn and marvelled at how soft it is and how tweedy it looks. Love it!
    Batty said...
    Beautiful! All that hard work paid off. And a very nice way to show off the I voted sticker too!
    BrownBerry said...
    It's exquisite - you look gorgeous in it!!
    cpurl17 said...
    You are so darn cute!

    I love the boob blocking tool-- Those are some great tips--thanks for sharing with us in yet another fabulous post!
    turtlegirl76 said...
    The ham worked! And the elastic too! Great fix. It looks great, Stacey.
    Anonymous said...
    Brilliant fix. I never even heard of that...I would've been moping because of the gaping. Great job!
    WandaWoman said...
    The Do-Over definitely worked for you. Too cute!
    QueenDBW said...
    Once again, FABULOUS!! You did a great job and the sweater is super cute!! Thanks for all the details, I usually learn so much from your FO posts!! Can't wait to see what's next....
    Sereknitty said...
    Another F/O to check off your list! Congrats on persevering ... it was worth it! I've got some silky tweed languishing in a bin. Who knows? I may see a "Marigold" in my future ... although mine will either have to be pink or blue, as that's what's in my stash and I'm needing to do some 'stash busting'!
    Deborah said...
    Oooh, that is so nicely done!
    Anonymous said...
    Best-dressed voter... Fingers crossed for a STRONG outcome for the candidate of "your" choice...

    I can't believe you'll trash yarn. Really???
    Lashell said...
    Great sweater!!! I love sweater vests.
    a friend to knit with said...
    oh!! knitterly cute is exactly how i would have put it!!!
    and marvelous. and fantastic. i would have said those too! :)
    Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...
    Beautiful job! It looks great on you :)
    Jeanine said...
    Great do over. It looks good on you.
    Anonymous said...
    Great job!!! Very nice on you!
    diddlinaknits said...
    YAY i am so proud of you!! it looks great on you and i bet you are so glad to be done with it :)
    k_purls2 said...
    wow, the ham and elastic made a big difference! What was the plum yarn? Interesting how checking out the projects on ravelry help with yarn selections!
    Patty said...
    Love this! I love Zephyr knits and this pattern is a keeper. Thanks for the detailed review of your project.
    Jada said...
    Very Very cute!You go Girl!!
    Knitaholictoo said...
    your persistence paid off, she's lovely!
    Robin said...
    That turned out really cute! I really like the deep V too, especially as they are showing a lot of styles like that this season.
    Don said...
    wow @ adrienne not being first this time. stacey that is a pretty knit you made. love the pictures. can't go wrong with a cleveage shot.
    Marin (AntiM) said...
    Attababe! I kinda love this. And the yarn is so pretty in close-up with all those flecks and shades.

    By the way? Viscose is cellulose (from wood or cotton) treated with a carbon-based solution to make rayon (in sheet form) and rayon (in spun form).
    Anonymous said...
    Absolutely BEA-U-TI-FUL!
    Lynette said...
    you look AWESOME!!! thank you SO MUCH for sharing all the details. i LOVE your marigold and now i want to make it.

    i must go over and buy it now.
    Anonymous said...
    Great job on this really cute vest! Love the color and congrats on getting your early vote in. Every vote counts!!!
    The Crafty One said...
    Great Job
    Anonymous said...
    Nice, Stacey! At least you have the arms for sleeveless! I almost do. but then if I don't remember sunscreen when I wear shortsleeve, I have the trucker tan and that is bad news. Sticking with long sleeves this summer and see how it goes. Good for you with the sweater and the right to vote!
    Anonymous said...
    Very Very Nice! And the neckline is perfect to allow for perfect boob light attachment! :-D
    Unknown said...
    What clever mods - it looks great!
    Laura said...
    hello hotness! :)
    chicagopurl said...
    That is soooo cute chica!
    Woman who knits said...
    This looks great! I got some Silky Tweed on clearance and you've inspired me to knit this!!

    I just purchased the pattern and will be casting on today!!

    I love the color too. I got the bluish/grey. We'll see . . .

Post a Comment