Sunday, August 17, 2008

My Magic Shawl

I have been meaning to post an entry about my latest completed project,
but as you all have probably already detected my blogging mojo is real low right about now.

Well since I wore my newest wardrobe garment all day today I figured it was time.

I like it a lot. It is the perfect casual "ball up and pull out when I need it" shawl ;o)

~ Project Details ~

Pattern: This is the Sunday Market Shawl

And how appropriate that I wore it all day on this fine Sunday in church and while market shopping for this weeks' groceries at my favorite place T.rader J.oes!!

One of my really good girlfriends that goes to church with me loved it, and has already placed in her order! Haha! :o)

Yarn & Cost: This yarn was gifted to me back in February by the sweet Emily! Thanks again!!

It is the O-wool in Balance made out of 50% organic merino and 50% organic cotton.

I had been searching for the perfect project to work with this yarn, and I finally looked in my very overflowing "que" folder in jogging my memory on wanting to do this shawl!! Perfect!

The yarn was very nice to work with, and I was so very pleased to work with a new yarn too!

It is just light enough for the spring/summer seasons but has the merino wool in there to keep me warm.

Needles: I actually went up on needle size than what was recommended for this yarn.

I used my addis US9, and think that was the perfect size for this particular project as I wanted it to be loose but not too loose.

Size: Well it really doesn't matter! I did cast on more stitches (40) than the pattern called for as I wanted it wider.

I do wish it was longer but as mentioned my yarn was gifted to me so I had to work with what I had.

I never did any measurements on this project, as it was a truly carefree "knit as I go" type of process.

After the pea green bath ;op

I was hoping it would grow some....but that was just wishful thinking.

Time: I mainly knitted on this shawl during my work commutes on the bus or during my lunch break. So with not much dedication to the project it took about two weeks.

What I learned: Well....let me just say I was on the short bus (briefly) in trying to figure out how to start this project! LOL

It was so simple I made it hard!!!

Thank goodness NoregretsCoyote was so sweet and kind to walk me step by step on the whole first 4 rows and then it was smooth sailing from there!

You are basically knitting up a 'set up' row (K2, YO) and then it is just plan stockinette stitching from there! So you actually drop the stitches at the very end of the project!!

I had to do a swatch to make sure I knew what I was doing

And I swear it was like MAGIC once I started doing it/dropping the stitches! I was so thrilled!

And it just felt so liberating to purposely "pop pop pop" off those stitches and wiggle them down to make the "ladders" :oD

Thanks Randeep for all of your help in making my knitting "light bulb" go off!

Verdict: I really enjoyed knitting this very simple project. It was just the "zen knitting" I needed, and I plan to do it again as a gift for my friend now. And would love to do it again for myself.

I really like that it's a not too fancy shawl that I can just throw on with anything, and wear it however I want to!

I like to think of it as my very own easy knock off version of the infamous c.lapotis project; because this is as close as I am ever going to get to knitting that project! ;op

36 Comments:

  1. Karine said...
    Very nice. I really should try my hands at a shawl...
    Wendy said...
    This looks so great that I might just have to do one too. And I think I have a great yarn in the stash that would be perfect! What a great take with you project... mindless. I'm going to need some of those with work starting back!
    Sheila said...
    Lovely shawl and agree with the others that I just have to do one. I have some silky wool that I think would work well.
    Debra said...
    this is a beautiful shawl. thanks for sharing it with us!
    WandaWoman said...
    Nice job!
    Anonymous said...
    Beautiful! I love the yarn; it adds a little bit of speckle to the pattern. It's gorgeous!
    Anonymous said...
    Oh, Stacey, it's just gorgeous! I lurve it!!!! The perfect color, drape, pattern - just lovely!
    Anonymous said...
    What a great use of the yarn! (I didn't recognize it at first ;-) I'm so glad you've made it into something to love & wear well.
    Jeanine said...
    Lookin good! You selected the perfect yarn for it too. Enjoy.
    Adrienne said...
    OHh love it girl!!!!
    Anonymous said...
    You can always pull of the greatest knits! It's no surprise that this one is a winner as well :)
    Liz said...
    Lovely, I like it more than the clapotis as I like a regular shape. The colour looks great on you too!
    cici said...
    this is beautiful.. You gots skillzs girl...
    Mandy said...
    I'm always amazed how the simplest projects can be SO STUNNING! What a perfect accessory for our non-winter winters here in NC! I'm sure you'll get lots of use out of this!
    Cas... said...
    Absolutely beautiful! I really liked the way you draped it in the first photo. I thought it was sewn that way at first. Really nice!

    Keep up the good work!
    urbanknitrix said...
    LOVE it!!! You did a great job! The color is so pretty.
    Stacey said...
    Thant is so beautiful! I want to make one now! :D
    Anonymous said...
    LOL! Yea, it IS like the clapotis except for the angle. So feel like you did a modified version.

    I like it! it looks really cozy!
    Anonymous said...
    This looks great! Don't you just love o-wool? It's so stinkin' soft!
    SissySees said...
    Lovely! Makes me want to knit up my O Wool...
    KimT said...
    i was thinking it seemed similar to the clapotis. I love yours. I should try it!
    Scheherazaad said...
    Good work. Don't you just love being able to wear something right after you have finished making it?
    Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...
    I love it! It really looks great :)
    Carmell said...
    dammit! if you don't stop doing these shawl... scarfs...throws projects! i have sworn off these projects and you keep picking and beautifully knitting up projects that are on my list of do not ever attempt!!! grrrr
    Sourire11 said...
    It's beautiful! I love that color.
    Robin said...
    Very nice!! It does remind me of the Clapotis. Why don't you want to make that one, if I may ask?
    DeltaPurl said...
    I started this, but I think I was just using the wrong yarn....it was taking me forever....I might have to check this yarn out
    Still Patrice said...
    that turned out really cute! great for those not hot not cold kinda days
    Anonymous said...
    Wow! This is just wow! I love the color!
    Knitaholictoo said...
    Sometimes is the simple that makes the most powerful statement. Lovely shawl!
    Anonymous said...
    I love it! The color is just great. Who knew your mojo was missing??
    Andrea said...
    Very nice, and I do agree, it's a more simpler version of the clepotis.
    diddlinaknits said...
    Oh it looks great! i really like the color. And it does look the perfect take anywhere shawl!! I have a clapotis but it doesn't look as cozy as your shawl!! i want one :)
    Don said...
    Heyyy stacey. That's a pretty nice-looking creation. And I took a blog break cause my mojo was GONE. LOL.

    wow @ adrienne being knocked down to the 10th slot. It must be all that good fun she's over there cooking and eating.
    Gina said...
    I have just gone back through the last 7 posts and I HAVE to learn to do more than squares!! WHY can I NOT knit!? signed a sorry soror in Sweden...
    Anonymous said...
    BACK AGAIN because my sister in law had on one of these at her brothers party Saturday! I was fumin', lol! I am putting an ad in the newspaper for an english speaker who can knit,this week! Gina

Post a Comment