Saturday, October 25, 2008

My So Called Torero

This past weekend the autumn season made itself known here in the Queen City!


I have been itching to do some "comfort" knitting and a quick project to assist in keeping my mojo going too.

I immediately CO for my "stand by" fall/winter projectYou know it! A neckwarmer!!! :oD

Pattern: I finally seized the opportunity to make the ever so popular My So Called Scarf; that currently shows 3,297 projects done in Ravelry! Which now includes mine :o)

So why not join the bandwagon as there are another 3,603 more who "want" to knit it! Haha!

Time: I started this on a Sunday night right after I purchased my new winter jacket at my new favorite shopping place where you can dress for less! ;op

It gives my jacket that "pop" of color I was looking for and the granite toggle button goes perfect with it too!!

And I finished it by Tuesday while waiting a full hour in line to vote! ;o)
A total of two days (or less) from alpha to omega.

Size: Until the yarn ran out!

Needles: Finally resurrected my Denise needles! As I purposely forced myself to finish a charity hat that was OTN since last year, so I can free them up for this project! It felt good to put those needles back into action again Haha!

I used US11 size tips.

Yarn & Cost: I combined this section together this time because it really goes mano y mano!

I received this yarn back in May during the Malabrigo Swap II from Kara, and I was so elated with the package!! I had been on a very long search to find the 'truest valentine' red in Malabrigo and it comes by the name of Torero!

This is the super bulky! And 65 yards of YUMMINESS! As you can see this yarn has a lot of thin/thick variation to it and for this pattern/project it did not bother me at all, but in fact kept me interested in all of its 100% merino softness!

Since I received the yarn as a gift in a swap it cost me nothing, but I did spend $5 on the JHB button (#80272) which had been marinating in my stash for quite some time, that I can't even remember where I picked it up from along the way.

What I learned: Well there are a lot of people out there who get confused by just reading this two line pattern...me included!! So a video helped bring clarity to how it should go!

I really liked this particular one I linked as it is waaay better in terms of audio and visual (clear picture), as well it shows you an alternative for R1 in doing the YO instead (which is what I adopted), not to mention the video is short and sweet!

Modifications: As you can see I made mine into a neckwarmer! And only CO 22 sts to achieve the shorter width. I also mentioned above how I used YO in the pattern as the substitute in R1.

No buttonhole was needed since the pattern offers openess in the knitting, along with the thick/thin yarn so I can just slip my toggle button right through!
Plus it makes it easy for me not to have to reset the button in the future if my neckwarmer becomes too loose! Win-Win!!

Verdict: LURVE everything about it!! The quick and easy to remember pattern, the yarn, the COLOR...the COLOR, the thickness, the color! :o)

31 Comments:

  1. Stacey said...
    Looks beautiful - the colour is to die for. And is perfect with you new coat

    It's gotten pretty chilly up here as well - I need a new neckwarmer too :D

    I voted this week too! Although by mail so no waiting in long lines ;)
    sophanne said...
    perfect with both the coat and your complexion!

    beautiful
    Cas... said...
    Another wonderful project. I think I might pick up a nice easy project for my next project. Maybe the Austen muffler from Interweave Crochet. Hmmm!
    Anonymous said...
    Very pretty! And it looks great with that coat. Black and white and red is so classic. Very Jackie O :)
    Emily said...
    My polling place is in the police station that's right down the block, so I prefer to vote early in the morning on the day-of. There's never any lines if you're an early-bird like me!

    I love all the details on the scarf that you gave in your posts... very helpful w/ the link to the video! But you never showed the button you picked!!! I love buttons... I hope it's a great one. ;-)

    <3
    Sheila said...
    LoL @ LURVE the yarn, the COLOR, the thickness, the color! I agree its perfect with the coat.
    Michelle B said...
    OH so pretty! that color is awesome!
    Dwanna said...
    Very nice!
    Sereknitty said...
    Very pretty! The perfect accessory for your new coat and fabulous with your colouring.
    urbanknitrix said...
    Awesome!! That red is fire! Great job as usual.
    cpurl17 said...
    It's so pretty! Maybe I'll be the 3,604th person to make one!
    NikkiJ said...
    It looks almost good enough to eat. So squishy. Do you think it will pill? I love how you say lurve it!
    smariek said...
    It's lovely! This one is also on my "todo" list if I can find the right shade of red in the yarn my friend wants for the scarf.
    Robin said...
    That yarn looks super soft and squishy!! Love that shade of red too!
    diddlinaknits said...
    Gorgeous!!! and it POPS for sure. i signed on flickr yesterday and those pics of yours were the first i noticed on my page. You did an awesome job and you look great in it!
    Anonymous said...
    I LOVE your new torero!! The color is very you and the toggle makes it WORK HARD!! HA!
    SissySees said...
    Ooooh! Love the color. Vibrant!
    Jeanine said...
    YAY to the resurrection. VERY cute and great accessory to your coat.
    Mama said...
    THAT, my dear, is GORGEOUS!!!
    Nik said...
    I'm working on this now in Malabrigo. I love it. I will probably post about it soon.
    Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...
    It looks great! Perfect with your new coat :)
    Anonymous said...
    Pretty pretty! I love how you turned that looooong scarf project into a quickie. Love the button, too!
    Janet Richards said...
    You really know how to work a neckwarmer - I love your latest :)
    Anonymous said...
    Oh, wow, you had me with the button. I'm not even sure what you said after I saw the button. Nice!
    Psyched2Knit said...
    Great neck warmer. You are so right about the "pop!" I'm glad you voted early - how exciting. Being from Massachusetts, it is really exciting for me to see how Obama is doing in other states. (He had us at hello.) I hope he wins NC too!
    Anonymous said...
    It's so pretty!!
    Deborah said...
    I don't own not one red scarf. I have buckets of red yarn though. I've been saving them for what? Your red scarf (and blog) has me thinking..
    Anonymous said...
    Nice! Don't need it here in SoCal...I saw someone wearing shorts yesterday! But enjoy, Stacey!
    Batty said...
    That is lovely! I simply adore the color and the way it looks with the button. It's one of my favorite scarf patterns too. The only thing I have to figure out is how to cast off without having one end flare... there has got to be a way to fix that.
    BrownBerry said...
    I absolutely understand why you LURV this - looks like everything came together to make a very classy and practical knit! It goes really great with your jacket too - well done!
    Jane Prater said...
    Gorgeous, but your button choice makes it spectacular.

    Did you here that Malabrigo is beginning to ship again after their fire? More, there will be more. . .

Post a Comment