Saturday, February 14, 2009

My Funny Valentine

Recently I worked on a project that I couldn't help but notice had the traditional red & white Valentine colors

But red and white colors are also the non-official colors of my sorority D.elta S.igma T.heta (DST)!

~ Project Details ~

Pattern: I actually ended up doing my first test knitting! And I was more than happy to work on it for a couple of reasons.

One: I really wanted to do a fair isle project (2009 knit goal..check!) and

Two: I've always wanted to knit something up Delta related as I am an active member of my dynamic sorority! :o)

So I was excited when my greek sister (S.G.Rho) Anna designed The Call Hat: DST Version This is an easy to follow pattern, even for first-timers doing colorwork like myself! :o)

Time: Since I was learning a new skill that was a little awkward my knitting was a bit slower, but it only takes a weekend of monogamous knitting :o)

Needles: I used US 4 and US 6 needles on the hat on my Harmony needles for magic looping.

Yarn & Cost: Because this was my inaugural fair isle project I anticipated having to work on my tension and wasn't really sure how the project for me would work out so I used the ole cheapo Red Heart Super Saver in both colors for only $4.00 all together!! :oD

As you can see it came in obnoxious red and pure as the driven white snow LOL

Size: Weeeell let the pictures of some of my friends speak for themselves ;opOkay well what about a bigger head??even with more hair too! :o)Those were my co-workers from my last job and they were really good about being my willing models! We had fun taking the pics!! Thank you guys!!!! ;oD

There wasn't a gauge on this pattern but I used the same yarn weight and from my understanding the hat was made for about a 22-23” head.

I thought I had a small nugget but when I finally took out a measuring tape it said I had a 22" head. So not sure why my hat came out so big.....

What I learned: Two-handed Fair Isle technique with no floats! Yay!!!

There is a fab video where I learned this skill, and can be viewed HERE. Thanks Heather for showing me these great tips!

I truly like the fact you can wrap your floats as you go!

Since my dominate hand is continental/left, the majority of this project was done english/right hand which I am still getting used to and slowed my progress down just a bit. Which also completely changed my tension to be tighter (you think this would have made my hat smaller...go figure).

Additionally, I really need to understand how to do jogless knitting in the round as it is visible where the color change takes place on the hat.

Last but most important...I learned there was a reason why I never used/desired to use Red Heart yarn LOL And I'll leave it at that ;op

Modifications: I did rig the "P" by not adding an additional vertical row on the hind leg or front end of the letter.

Next time I will cast on less stitches and decrease for the crown sooner, as my head may be 22" wide but definitely not that long!

I also made some small tweaks on the crown chart to reflect the actual picture in the pattern; all of these changes noted to the designer :o)

Verdict: Even though this project did not "fit" how I hoped it would I was just thrilled to be doing something new and stretching myself, as I enjoyed knitting this up and will do it again!

This was my funny valentine and I still do heart it!!

29 Comments:

  1. DeltaPurl said...
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOO-OOOOOOOOOOOP

    Really cute Soror!
    Anonymous said...
    I think your stranding looks great. :)

    Happy Valentine's Day!
    Dave said...
    It's fun learning new things, even if they don't quite turn out how we hoped. It's a cool design. Maybe next time in thinner yarn?
    Mandy said...
    I also used acrylic (encore DK) for my first stranded project. Seriously, I don't know what I was thinking. I really did a disservice to myself by not getting the best yarn I could (there ARE affordable sports/dk wools out there). Live and learn.

    So glad you checked this new technique off the list. Hope you do more colorwork in the future!!
    Chelette said...
    Hey it may be a little big, but it is a nice hat --great concept. Bottom line you accomplished one of your 2009 goals. Happy Valentine's Day!
    KimT said...
    love the pics! you are a knitting rock star!
    Anonymous said...
    Such cute photos. Great job on your first colorwork!
    Ursula said...
    Great work! Isn't two-handed fair isle fun?!
    Walden said...
    I'm glad that even though it didn't turn out exactly how you wanted it to, you enjoyed doing it! Your stranded work looks great.
    IrishGirlieKnits said...
    Great design even if it did come out a bit too big!!
    Anonymous said...
    Very tidy stranding. Thanks for the link. Happy Valentine's Day!
    diddlinaknits said...
    haha i love the pics of yo all trying it on. You did a great job even the inside of your hat looks awesome.
    I totally understand your feelings about RHSS-i have used it before but since using wool and much nicer acrylic yarns i have become quite a snob :( lol
    I have struggled doing the english knitting as well-very weird especially when you are so used to knitting continental.
    cici said...
    It's beautiful.. big and all. Your stranding turned out very neat. Happy Valentines Day to you!!
    Anonymous said...
    ok girl that was hilarious!! I looked through the pictured before reading the text and I said to myself "what sort of head is she knitting for" LOL!!! Too bad it is not wool as you could felt it.

    Ah well, here are to new skills and a great looking hat for a giant head :O)
    caknitter said...
    Your hat is so cute. I've had many come out extra large when I started knitting hats.
    Thank you for posting the video.
    I'm making a hat right now where I think this method will come in handy.
    turtlegirl76 said...
    It looks like your gauge is too loose for the technique. I'll bet of Anna told you her gauge, you'd be off by at least a stitch per inch. But hey, I LOVE me a big floppy hat. =D I think you still came out with something pretty cool!
    Michelle B said...
    Yay for learning new things!!!
    Sheila said...
    Despite it being too big, at least you learned a new technique. I'm sure the next time around it will be sized just right.
    Wendy said...
    Too bad it wasn't a wool yarn and you could have felted it some and shrunk it to fit.
    Knitaholictoo said...
    Tee tee, you made my morning! ; ) Your colorwork looks so even. You did a great job.
    Marin (AntiM) said...
    No floats? No floats! I'm all excited and it's only a Monday!

    So are you the same Deltas where my friend Julie did the Delta thing with her hands and bipped me in the forehead saying Delta!Delta!Delta! and then I was an honourary Delta? Or different Deltas?
    Anonymous said...
    Cool hat! You just need to find someone with a massive head :-)
    Adrienne said...
    It looks great girl! Glad you learned some new stuff!
    Cas... said...
    I had the same issue with a hat I made for my mom for Christmas. I followed the pattern and it came out too small. I went up a needle size and it was too large. Too funny. I finally re-worked it using both needles for different spots and it fits really good now. But it took some time.

    Your hat looks terrific to me. You live and learn! RED is my favorite color.
    SissySees said...
    Neat! I'll have to check out the video, because I'd love to wrap my floats...
    Anonymous said...
    Nice hat! You did a great job with the stranding.
    Lynette said...
    great job on the hat. the inside of your hat looks awesome! as always you provide great details.
    Nemesis said...
    OOOOOOO-OOOOOOOOP..this alone makes me want to learn how to knit even more....
    smariek said...
    You did a great job! Sorry it turned out so large, but I'll bet you'll find someone who will fit it, cuz heads come in all shapes & sizes. Most of the hats I made were for charity so I didn't worry too much about fitting any specific head size. Unfortunately that didn't translate well when I tried to share "how" I made a hat, cuz I didn't have gauge info.

    The inside of your hat looks great! So neat and tidy. I learned how to strand my yarn from that same website, so cool, huh?

Post a Comment