Sunday, December 20, 2009

Polar Morn Beret

Once upon a very cold and gloomy morning a beautiful beret was born!
~ Project Details ~

Pattern: Meret (Mystery Beret) by Woolly Wormhead (Rav Link )
The pattern is intuitive and just enough zest to it so that it pops on your yarn!

Renee suggested it to me after I mentioned how I was itching to whip up a beret. Thanks for the recommendation it was a good one! As my original thought was to do my long coveted "yet to get to it" Gretel pattern, but then realized I didn't want to deal with the cabling at that particular moment.

Size: I started out with the medium and then increased to the large size (my head measures around 22"). I really could have gotten away with just the medium (with an extra pattern repeat) for the entire FO.

Time: This project was truly started b/c of the cold spells we have been having here (on a gloomy morning) and I've always wanted to knit up a beret!

Finished in just shy of a week, and it would have been faster but my schedule was super busy. The beret is a breeze and a pleasure to knit!

Needles: US 6 & US 8 with 32" cord on my harmony needles...magic looping on the brim and crown only.

Yarn/Cost: Yarn from waaay back when purchased in my Malabrigo Frenzy Haze ;op This is the color Polar Morn and probably got it for about nine bucks.

It only took one hank but for this pattern you will need EVERY BIT OF IT! So heed my words in not leaving a long tail and realizing you will need every ounce (and for my size I eliminated 2 rows of the last repeat to ensure I had enough to bind off!)

Modifications: As already mentioned this essentially is the large size, but I like my hats to fit "snug" at the brim so I casted-on for the medium on the US6s and then increased to the large stitch count. You also can tell I did the roll brim option (did 1" SS and 1" 1x1 rib)....luv it!!

Did an extra pattern repeat for slouchy-ness, but did not finish off with Rows 1 & 2 as instructed as I knew I would not have enough yarn to finish the hat! (fyi) However, I see why the designer wanted you to finish with R1 & R2 (and you should for the aesthetic look), but if you don't it is not detrimental either ;op

This has not been blocked yet so I can just imagine how it will grow once it hits water. As I said, a medium with an extra repeat would have worked just fine for my noggin as well!

I intended for it to be extra slouchy and believe I got just the right balance I wanted...I luv it!

What I learned: Nothing monumental but just how to do the easy peasey roll brim on a hat. It adds such a great decorative look to the project!

Verdict: I am very satisfied with my beret!! As it has been in full rotation since it came off the needles! This is a fabulous pattern and great/easy project!

24 Comments:

  1. Michelle B said...
    OHH soo cute!
    Erica Bunker said...
    That beret is so cute! I saw that in you FB profile.
    KnitFloozy said...
    Very Cute Dahling!
    moo said...
    Nice. Did you get a haircut?
    Walden said...
    Lovely, it looks so good on you!
    Adrienne said...
    Love the beret girl!
    deltapurl said...
    super cute!
    caknitter said...
    The beret looks warm and so good on you! :-)
    turtlegirl76 said...
    Ooh pretty! It looks great on you!!
    IrishGirlieKnits said...
    Love it!! It looks fabulous on you too!
    Anonymous said...
    This is so cute! I can't wear berets for the life of me, but you look great in yours!
    Renee said...
    It turned out great!
    Chronic Ennui said...
    Love the hat. I think that may just be my favorite color of Malabrigo. Happy Holiday!
    SissySees said...
    Love it!!
    diddlinaknits said...
    Looks great! i have this on my queue as well. yours looks so soft and cozy i wanna reach in the picture and squish it :)
    Don said...
    Good afternoon, Stace.

    what's up with these berets? you and Adrienne aren't planning on starting a revolution, are y'all? if so let me know so i can stock up on chicken breast and bottled water.

    reminds of that prince song raspberry berry.

    i see you have been smiling alot lately. always good to see that. you're still a punk though.


    @ adrienne: hey!!
    Batty said...
    Pretty! The thick-and-thinnish yarn works so well with the pattern. It's been so cold out, a stylish beret is just right.
    Karine said...
    Absolutely gorgeous!
    Anonymous said...
    You are so talented! That looks gorgeous! :) Diana
    BrownBerry said...
    This looks FAB-U-LOUS!

    Take it from me, this pattern is addictive!
    urbanknitrix said...
    Love it.

    Clicking on link, getting yarn and needles ready......
    Lynette said...
    nice job!!! i hope you had a wonderful christmas. :)
    Susan said...
    YOu have a gazzillion comments already, but I had to add one for myself - Love it! That looks so perfect on you, especially the hair style, too. Love it! (I know I wrote that twice, but I meant it. lol)

    Happy Holidays to you!
    Knitaholictoo said...
    Nuthin like a quick knit! Cute.

Post a Comment