Sunday, September 16, 2007

Unnecessary Heartache

So I didn't go to bed until 3AM this morning.

Why? You ask

Because of thisLets call this Exhibit A of the "1AM I Can't Believe I Gotta Frog This Tantrum" (hence the dark pic) and 2 hours fixing it to get back to where I originally was before my mistake....yep MY error (read on)! Shish!

As you can see I have actually been doing a little bit of knitting......just a teeny bit. I casted on for the Fitted Knits Coquette Tube Top. Of course she will be nicknamed CeeCee (short for Crimson Croquette ;op).

After my thorough analysis of how everyone else has knitted this top up on Ravelry :o). There was some fretting about what size to do, but I did CO for the size 32" because of the negative ease.

Still wanting to have a peace of mind I decided to put it on waste yarn, after most of the top ribbing was done, to try it on (it wasn't happening with the Denise cords for this garment - so I had to do the tedious transfer - which was actually my 1st time every having to do that!)Let me also put a disclaimer out there at Exhibit B that I did not leave the house all day! LOL :oD

Satisfied with at least the top fit and knowing that I will be adding the cutest chocolate ribbon there to help hold it up, I proceed to work on CeeCee enthusiastically (as I always do when I start a new project Haha) knowing that she will more than likely be done in time for me to wear her at an event by the end of this month. Yah!

Well staying up waaaaaay past my bedtime and watching O.prah while knitting lace is a very good formula for messing up on my knitting. Sugar!!

I used my wonderful handy dandy index cards gifted to me by the lovely Janet, from the recent Back2School Swap, to write out my lace repeat pattern. I triple checked that I transferred everything correctly (even the errata that I didn't forget!) and proceeded to continue in my happy knitting progress!

Things were going well! Until the YOs were not matching up....and I was losing my stitch count! OMG! What is going on!?!

As I was ripping out the top, after making two attempts of putting a lifeline in it correctly, IT HIT ME that reading comprehension is sooooo fundamental. I was reading my even row "P2"s as a "P2tog"....UGH!

Isn't it funny how one very small detail can throw EVERYTHING off in lace knitting!! Haha! :o)

I had to undo about 3 hours of knitting! UGH! All my fault!

An unnecessary heartache that I am paying for dearly by being sleep deprived. My ritual Sunday nap will be happening today! :op

I stayed up until the wee hours so I could get everything straightened out and back on track. And I did. I wouldn't have dared stop in the middle of a knitting accident to make the mess even worse when I got back to it!

Here is what I have so far today. Finally one lace repeat down! LOL Haha!

Exhibit C shows that I am still too scared to take out the lifeline LOL! :oD Even though it is all downhill from here!

Here is a closer look at the lace. It really is easy once you READ it correctly! Haha!

It's nap time now! :op

26 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    I feel the pain but seriously, it looks great! LOL (with you, not at you!!) @ staying up till 3, I so would have done the same!

    LOVE the color, and I know it will be gorgeous once you are done with it!
    funfairiegirl said...
    ugh!!!

    I am working on the Elizabeth Bennet cabled cardigan at the moment. And there is a note about lack of ease in this book - which I think is a lie from SJs mouth! I went up a size since I knew I wanted to layer this and I think it is going to be huge - and I even cast on for a size down and then increased up since I know my boobs are big, but my neck is not. Amazing huh? yeah...NOT ripping it back.

    The top looks great. I have been thinking about knitting this, but figure I am not in shape to wear that!!!
    Cas... said...
    Wow! It sounds like a bad knitting evening. I hate missing that one little direction. It really makes everything worse. I love the color!
    Jada said...
    Things like that happen sometimes!I know it will be nice when its all done!
    Erica Bunker said...
    I hate when things like that happen. It's going to be fab, just like all of your knitting.
    Adrienne said...
    Girl! I hear ya!!! It's looking good though girl and I MUST have one of those "S" tanks you are wearing! LOL...have fun with CEE CEE! LOL
    Unknown said...
    Happens to the best of us. It's looking good now. Since it appears you are working this in the round, try knitting it on two circs so that you can try it on without putting in a lifeline.
    Anonymous said...
    oh girl, if i could count the times i flubbed up, i'd be ready to quit knitting!!! good for you for staying up to fix it before going to sleep. can't wait to see some more of the garment, you go girl! :-D
    Chrispy said...
    Oh I am so sorry you had to rip everything out. At least you know you picked the right size. The top band looks awesome. That is what I did when I got that far. I so was willing to rip if it was too big instead of finishing and ripping.

    Hopefully from here on out it is smooth sailing.

    Good luck with the short rows if you add them.
    SissySees said...
    Well, it's beautiful. Love the red, and all of this will be worth it when you wear it and get all the compliments!
    Deborah said...
    Any knitting after midnight is dangerous. Doing lace is just asking for trouble!

    Love the color though.
    Liz said...
    I hate that, but I would have stayed up like you. It's not nice to get up to a trauma, if you can get to sleep in the first place, knowing it's there!

    Looking good now though, and a beautiful colour!! It will really suit you. Can't wait to see it finished.
    Carmell said...
    gurl that looks like something i would do! don't you just hate that!
    KelInCal said...
    Woopsy! Sounds exactly like something I would do! Glad you got back on track.

    That's a great color!
    Anonymous said...
    Girl, I just love that Superwoman top, hee hee...

    I know how you feel; if I make a mistake, I want to fix it NOW, not later, even if it means going without sleep. Crazy, but true. I'm glad you were able to fix it & move on.
    KimT said...
    good for you for sticking with it and correcting it! The color is beautiful and it will all be worth it when you are strutting your stuff at that even at the end of the month! looking forward to seeing this FO.
    Woman who knits said...
    That's a night. I have my frogging tantrums too. Mine start around 11pm though.

    It does look good and I think it'll be just perfect!!
    Anonymous said...
    ouch. Im right there with you tho, I was frogging about an hours worth of lace on sunday too....but feel better about it now as I'm starting afresh again with NO mistakes!!
    Still Patrice said...
    I see ya withcha S on your chest girl!! Super Stacey! Don't play! LOL glad you got it worked out!
    Anonymous said...
    Im so sorry that you had to undo three hours of work. :( But I am so happy that you fixed it because it looks like its gonna be so cute.
    Sheila said...
    After reading your post, I felt tired...lol. But I know that feeling... it ain't right to you get right....lol
    diddlinaknits said...
    OH NO!!i have been there too!! totally undedrstand what you wnet thru. Its so funny that you have to AT LEAST knit to where the mess up was so you don't feel like you completely wasted your night. i always have to right past the part where i f-ed up lol.
    Glad you figured it out and are moving back on track again :)
    Kelly said...
    I feel your pain about fixing mistakes late at night. I guess though with love there's also some pain involved.
    Jeanine said...
    It's frustrating when things like that happen. Cee Cee is going to be cute when it's finally done.
    Octopus Knits said...
    It looks wonderful now! Way to persevere!
    Janet Richards said...
    It was worth the effort - it looks great!!!

Post a Comment