Sunday, November 25, 2007

Baby Hat Makin' Machine!

That is exactly how I felt over this holiday weekend! LOL :op

You remember that precious baby who snatched that hat straight from my hands?? :o)

Well since the hat was originally meant for a charity knit project with our Charlotte Purls group called afghans for Afghans, I needed to hurry up and get some more cranked out before the deadline.

I was able to do a mini mass production of baby hats over the holiday, and as promised I have some project details for you too.


~ Project Details ~

Pattern: "Quack!" (obviously knitted without the duck motif) from Blankets, Hats, and Booties: To Knit And Crochet by Kristin Spurkland

Size: I made various sizes by changing up the number of stitches I casted on since I didn't know what the heck I was doing! LOL

CO 72, 48, 48, 62 (yep that's right I did 4 hats, one already gifted to Jonas)
They say you can tell if a hat will fit a newborn if you can put your fist inside the hat. So that is why I made hat #2 (teal) and hat #3 (lime)with 48 CO stitches...seemed so tiny, so hat #4 (stripped) I went up a little bit on my CO stitches with 62. And hat #1 (Jonas' hat - 72 CO) apparently fits a 3 month old baby.

Time: It took me a couple of hours for each hat. Yeah, even though I am a "picker"/continental knitter I am still am a little slow! :op

Needles: Denise US 6, again really should have used Addis when magic looping - but I was being lazy and cheap! LOL Haha! Oh! and DPNs

Yarn: Lion Wool in Dark Teal and Lemongrass

Cost: $3.88 a ball. Of course, I used less than a ball! ;op And loved getting the yarn on sale at my local H.obby L.obby! Haha! Too bad it is not "washable"Oops!

What I learned: How to finally do a hat....successfully!! HAHA! I always have to do mini versions, before I can do adult sizes. Why I keep forgetting that I do not know!

Modifications/Issues: I just went with how I felt at the time. Sometimes I did more rows of the seed stitch (which I love) or stockinette. And fiddled around with the decreases. Of course I already stated the changes in the number of CO stitches. I got bored with the solid colors so I decided to get a little fancy and did stripes. ;op That got me going on the last one and I think it is SUPER cute!! :oD I will have to do it again!

Verdict: Great knit fix! Will do them again and will consider this my standard baby hat since it has a twist to it! :o)

18 Comments:

  1. Janet Richards said...
    You go girl - you were cranking them out! I like the colors too! I not a pastel lover, so I love non-traditional "baby" colors too :)
    cpurl17 said...
    They're so cute!! Some lucky babies in the world with have a warm head and stylin' gear because of you!
    Sereknitty said...
    Adorable!
    Still Patrice said...
    oooh love the striped one!!
    Wendy said...
    Your bitty hats are adorable! I need to get that mojo thing going. I had two requests for fingerless mittens for Christmas. I don't know if I'll get it all done!
    Stacey said...
    oh thos are adorable! Excellent job!
    Michelle B said...
    those are super cute!
    Connie said...
    Wow, I love the color combination and don't you feel so good knowing that the love you put into those will go to keep sweet babies little heads warm.

    Good Job!
    diddlinaknits said...
    Love them!! Super cute and the striped one is great!! Those are some lucky babies!
    will miss ya!!
    WandaWoman said...
    Very cute hats! That's awesome that you cranked out 3 hats for charity.
    SissySees said...
    Love the colors too. Great wee hats there!
    Anonymous said...
    That ALMOST makes me want a baby again...nah, never mind, lol.

    The hats are all so adorable. You got a LOT of knitting done!
    Jada said...
    Those are the cutest hats!!!Love the colors you used.
    Marin (AntiM) said...
    I love that last picture. It looks like some sort of tropical fruit Hershey's kisses.
    Jeanine said...
    Those are just too cute!
    Cas... said...
    Very cute!
    KelInCal said...
    Cute hats! You DID get a lot done over the holidays!
    tina said...
    I have been hat crazy myself lately----- although a tee tiddle bigger. Yours in the wee size for cute wee folk are absolutely darling! Good job! LOVE the non-trad colors!

Post a Comment