Wednesday, February 06, 2008

All Vaa'd Out! :o)

First, I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who took the time to leave me lovely & kind comments, e-mail notes, phone calls, e-cards and most importantly prayers about my recent family loss it all really meant a lot to me. As when I came home on Sunday I was feeling a bit sad & lonely so every warm gesture that came in helped with that void and made me feel better.
Thank U Thank U to each of you that showed you cared!

Well......

I have been whipping up a ton of scarves lately and last month finished 2 that were gifts.

Now that the receipents have their items I can post about them! YAH!

As I mentioned before, I was in the E.E. Scarf Swap and had to knit one up for my downstream partner Bev! You can actually click here to see the package I sent her.

In the meantime, I took pictures in advance of her scarf before I sent it off.
Of course I have the particulars! ;o)

~ Project Details ~
Pattern: The infamous - Cashmere Neckwarmer by Yarn Abuse

Luv Luv Luv! This pattern is super easy to memorize and just the thing you may want to knit up for mindless needle clicking!

Size: However you want it!

I did this one as follows: Double Yarned CO 25 sts US11 needle Length: 22.5” Width: 7.5”
Button: 4” in from BO
Crochet Loop: SC 4 w. I - hook about 2.5” from right edge

Wet blocked

In my opinion, I did this one too wide (for my liking) and would recommend casting on less stitches.

Time: SUPER FAST KNIT! You can literally do this in a couple of hours

Needles: Denise US11, Hook: I

Yarn: Malabrigo Worsted in Vaa, 1 skein (doubled yarn)

I originally selected Curaco for her, but quickly realized she would not want those particular bright blues/greens after anonymously communicating with her and switched out to deeper colors she said she would prefer.(Yes! That is make-up!! Haha! Don't ask ;op And No! You won't see that on me anytime soon! Haha!)
Cost: $12 for yarn
Notions: Brown Antler Button $4 - LUV these buttons! Q.u.a.l.i.t.y

What I learned: That I still enjoy knitting scarves as long as it is quick and simple! ;op

Modifications: Obviously I did not use cashmere! And I did not do an I-cord button loop, but a crochet button loop instead.

Verdict: How many times have I mentioned that I LUV this project?? :op

Well I luv this scarf so much that I happened to show it to my co-worker who instantly had to have it! And actually "got" me, because her birthday was coming up. I ended up making 2 trips to my favorite yarn shop in the same day!! :o) She wanted the exact same colors and everything!!

So a twin was born!Hence, why I am all Vaa'd out!! ;op This scarf I casted on only 20 stitches and used much less yarn for this one since I casted on fewer stitches.

I picked the bleach/white Antler button and really liked that one! She was thrilled to get the scarf!!!She even hand wrote me a personal thank you note and mailed it off, even though we work together!! How sweet!!! That made it worth it and was more than happy to do it!

Here is a closer look at that fabulous antler button. I am hooked on them now!!Well since I had to fly out of town at the last minute last week, I went back to my fav LYS for an emergency trip to get some supplies for more fast & quick knits that didn't require a lot of concentration. Yep!! More neckwarmers and more buttons! :oD
All of these were made CO 20sts and knitting to the desired length of my choice.
The top one is in coloway Melilla and is for a friend that is an AKA (sorority colors that are pink and green) for her passing a major exam and just being a great friend! Her button is actually from Wal-mart for less than $1.

The 2nd scarf is in Vermillon and was originally for me but when I received the color in the mail it was not the red I was hoping on...yep that is supposed to be "red"...sigh...I won't discuss how I have been tormented about this color and how many times this scarf has been targeted for several different people a million times over the last two weeks! Right now it is for one of my aunts ;op

This last scarf is oddly my favorite color thus far, as I am really not into browns!
It was originally tagged for one of my other aunts (see a sudden pattern) and will still go to her as of today! ;op
Rich Chocolate is the colorway and I just luv it!!It really is a rich color! You must lay your own eyes on it!
And I just had to match it with the white antler button...I really really want this scarf for myself...however I don't wear much brown like that, but definitely plan to knit with this color again!

So as you can see I have O.D. on my neckwarmers and plan to make more since they are really quick, and won't throw you off track in your other projects.

I have yet to knit it up in a "red" malabrigo for ME! Shish! I believe 'Sealing Wax' will probably be the one just for me!

Now go rush and knit yourself up an uber soft warm neckwarmer before the weather gets too warm for them! ;o)

34 Comments:

  1. WandaWoman said...
    Those neckwarmers are cute and look like they knit up quickly!
    Emily said...
    Those neckwarmers are fabulous!
    Adrienne said...
    Oh! I love the neckwarmers!!!!
    Macoco said...
    Your neckwarmers are so pretty. I love the last shot of the three of them stacked up together.
    Emily said...
    See? My love of brown is rubbing off on you.
    Wendy said...
    Glad to see that you are able to turn to your knitting in your time of need... can you imagine... what did we ever do B.K.(before knitting)? How did we ever survived lifes little twists and turns?
    Cas... said...
    Wow! Those are fabulous scarves! You are doing a terrific job! Keep up the good work!
    Anonymous said...
    So many incredible Malabrigo colorways, so little time... I *MUST* have the vermillion and the brown... (More online shopping post-vet, assuming the vet doesn't take all of my money!)
    Anonymous said...
    Wow, those are great. I love that pattern (as you know). I wore mine all winter long...
    Mama said...
    This scarf has been added to the TOP of my "must do now" list - thanks for the pattern link too ; )

    ps: did you have your yarns "caked" at the shop or did you use your ball-winder? Wondering if I should go for the one listed on Joann.com or not...
    Christie said...
    you really do love those neckwarmers!
    QueenDBW said...
    I'm lovin' those neckwarmers. I have a friend that I want to make something for and it looks like I might get that one done before it gets too warm in Georgia ;-D
    Nik said...
    I'm almost done with my version of the Scholar Collar and, since I'm home sick today, I'm hoping that i can finish it and post pictures of it soon.

    You have OD'd on the neck warmers.
    Debora said...
    The neckwarmers are great and you look so pretty all made up!
    KelInCal said...
    All of those neck warmers look great! That Malabrigo is just wonderful, isn't it?? Maybe I'll just whip up a few of those....that might be the new project that the yarn bin has been telling me I need to start! :D
    MrsPurls said...
    Cute neckwarmers! Now you know I love the pink and green one! If you want to gift your leftovers just pass them over here!!! Wink, Wink!
    Reckless Glue said...
    wow, these are so nice---what great gift ideas!
    Reckless Glue said...
    also, I'm so sorry, I didn't realize you'd had a loss in the family...*hugs*
    Robin said...
    The neckwarmers are gorgeous - I love that picture of you modeling it. You look very nice in it!
    Anonymous said...
    What pretty projects!

    I am sorry for your family's loss.
    Two Cables and a Frapp said...
    Very nice neck warmers. You look very pretty in your pic.
    Sereknitty said...
    Fabulous neckwarmers! I love the colours you have chosen.
    Don said...
    You're welcome.

    You look so purty. lol.
    The Crafty One said...
    Sorry to hear about your lost. and yes love the neckwarmers.
    Anonymous said...
    Sorry I'm just now playing catch up, but I am so, so sorry for your loss. My aunts are incredibly special to me, too, so I can only imagine the pain. :-( I hope you're feeling a little better today & that your family finds some peace & solace.

    {{{hugs}}}
    diddlinaknits said...
    Wow!! you have been neckwarming away!!!! they all looks super!!! What wonderful quick gifts for everyone :)
    Ahem-how are Marigold and back to school vest LOL-dont worry not judging-remember that cardigan i ran out of yarn for-Yep it's still in a bag not finished.
    Anonymous said...
    That stack of neck warmers is yummy!!
    cpurl17 said...
    Those are adorable! I don't like making scarves but that looks like a project I could handle, hehe!
    Octopus Knits said...
    I'm so behind on blog reading that I only just read about your Aunt's passing. I'm so sorry! Knitting with such beautiful colors must have helped a lot -- what wonderful neckwarmers!
    Liz said...
    So sorry to hear about your aunt, but glad you had a good send off for her and enjoyed being with your family.

    Check out your scarf stash!! Looking good in that pile!

    What is going on with your BSTV? Report in soon!

    Hope you're ok. x
    Anonymous said...
    You get so much done, woman, I am in constant awe. I'm sorry for your loss, though belated in my wishes, and I will pray for you and your family and your continued strength in coming to terms with your loss.

    I do love that pattern - it makes me want to try one, though I'm pretty sure I couldn't pull it off as well as you do!
    Sheila said...
    Oooo look at you looking all purttty and stuff. I can understand O.D.ing over the neckwarmers not only are they cute, but they give instant gratification... so go ahead... OD if you want to I.
    KimT said...
    love the quick knits. they are so satisfying aren't they? Your work is superb as usual.
    pamela wynne said...
    wow, you're a neckwarmer machine! They're all lovely, and the buttons you chose are perfect.

Post a Comment