Saturday, April 26, 2008

GW: Casual Chic Style!

Every now and then I will work out some "GW" (Grown Woman) style in my life

....afterall I am over thirty right? ;o)

Adding some bling and lace in my knits help gets my GW on! :oD

I decided to do it 'casual chic', and instead of throwing on a blue jean jacket this morning to keep the cool air off my arms, I opted for my "Stacey Lacey Shawl"

~ Project Details ~

Pattern: This was an impulse knit.

A few months ago when my fav LYS sent an e-mail alert saying how they have all Noro 20%....I couldn't overlook that!! :o)

I searched and searched and couldn't figure out what I wanted do with which Noro and then...

I saw this shawl display and with this Noro I had been wanting to try for a long time and knew that was the project!

The shawl pattern is from the LYS that came with the yarn.

It is a simple 4 Row repeat and here it is:

R1 (WS): Purl
R2: K3 (YO, K2, SSK, K2tog, K2, YO, K1) repeat from () to last stitch, end with K1
R3: Purl
R4: K2 (YO, K2, SSK, K2tog, K2, YO, K1) repeat from () to last sts, end with K2

Written pattern called to CO for 67 sts, I casted on 58 sts

And it results in this look

Size: As long and as wide as you want it.

I wanted it really long for that "swoopin" effect, but knew I didn't want it as wide, as originally called for in the pattern. Plus, I was concerned I didn't have enough yarn.

Time: CO on for this project immediately and could not stop knitting on it! This was back in February! Haha! ;op

Inevitably my 'Knit Crush' soon evaporated and my 'Knitter's ADD' kicked in :oD

So I just knitted on it from time to time here and there.

I finally pushed to finish it up and bound off last Saturday.

Threw it in the washer (soak & spin only) then let it block overnight.Was able to get the weather to cooperate and schedule my Nigel for my photoshoot today! Haha! ;op

Needles: Harmony US10, 24" cord (I rarely use this length so it was nice to have a reason to pull it out! Haha)

Yarn: I highlighted this yarn here and here. It is the Noro Aurora!

I have always had my eye on this particular Noro, and I didn't know what project I could/wanted to knit up so I never bought it!

Plus, there were only a couple of colors that attracted me in this line as well.

When I was buying this yarn for 20% off there were only 3 balls left in this color #1, but the pattern called for 4 balls, and I really wanted that length.

So I eventually purchased the 4th ball online...and it cost just as much (b/c of the shipping and no discount) the yarn I got on sale!! Ugh!

Interesting enough the 4th ball online was in the same dye lot "A",

however it did sneak in a new color on me that the other 3 balls did not have

Can you see it?

Yep Noro did not disappoint with its 'element of surprise' and slid in that light green! :o)

I actually like it...kinda of like my project's very own birthmark!

Believe it or not you can spit splice this yarn!

After a frantic call to Cristi about how in the world do I join my yarn when it's in lace, she said to give the good ole SS method a try and it worked like a charm!

Notions: I must not forget my neverending quest of a pin shawl, and really won't go into the many places I looked! Haha!

But if you noticed in the first couple of pics I had a black 'stick' in it. Yep that is a hair accessory! ;op Those $2 chopsticks work just fine!

However, during my field trip today (which you all will hear about very soon!) I was on a quest for a shawl pin.

And found one that was in the range I was willing to spend.

I really like it! And it doesn't overpower the glitz of the shawl.

Cost: Let me tell ya......my entire outfit cost less than the shawl I was wearing!! LOL

With the 3 discounted balls and the 1 ball that was mail ordered this project came in at around forty dollars.

My good ole chocolate T-shirt and blue jean capris outfit was all of $25 bucks! Haha!

What I learned: This was my very 1st lacey lace project!!!

I liked the alternating purl rows as I carried up my life line throughout the entire project. And Yep! I had to put it in use at least twice! ;op

Also, in the beginning I struggled with getting the right count on this thing! As I kept getting more stitches! So I would just "true it up" later! Haha!

In this particular case it did not mess up how the pattern came out (luckily!)

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong in the pattern and didn't have that issue anymore (remember reading is so fundamental! ;op).

Modifications: As already mentioned I shortened the width of this shawl. Did a little math to figure how many repeats within the row I needed to complete to narrow it.

Verdict: I really liked this as my 1st lace project as it was not with the really light weight lace yarn on tiny needles, and gave me a good taste of what is to come in this genre of knitting :o)

I already have my 2nd lace project pattern, yarn, and needles waiting on me!! And yep....it is more Noro!! ;op Haha!

So I had to throw in a "glamour bling bling" shot!!

**Mary J's 'Grown Woman' song playin' in the background**

Is that not GW enough?!?!! :o)

45 Comments:

  1. Batty said...
    Oooh, very grown-up and elegant! I usually wear my Cozy when they turn the office into an arctic wasteland, but I think I like your wrap much better.
    Michelle B said...
    OHH That scarf is gorgeous! You look very GW in it too BTW!) Darn you've got another pattern I want to make!! (I bought some Tayio today!!)
    Trillian42 said...
    It's lovely! And you, my dear, look FABULOUS!
    Erica Bunker said...
    What a beautiful shawl! Go head and get your GW on!
    Adrienne said...
    A-ight now!!!!! That is gorgeous girl!!!!
    Stacey said...
    Gorgeous! You look smokin' :D And very GW!
    Anonymous said...
    That shawl is breathtaking! And it looks GREAT on you!
    turtlegirl76 said...
    It turned out so lovely! I love the random addition of the pale green. Leave it to Noro...
    Scheherazaad said...
    Very GW! and "fresh".
    Anonymous said...
    Great wrap, but even better pictures! Very "GW" indeed! I love your choice of shawl pin too.
    Anonymous said...
    LOVE that glam shot at the end. ;)

    BEAUTIFUL. Great job, as always!
    Denise said...
    Very bling bling, and definitely GW enough :-) It looks fab on you. Strange about the green creeping in there, but so long as you like it.
    Sheila said...
    You are Stomping the Yard with your GW swerve...lol. The shawl is beautiful.
    Anonymous said...
    Wonderful post - and gorgeous job on the scarf/shawl!! It looks just fabulous on you :D
    Knitnik said...
    Gorgeous - but even prettier in person yesterday! So glad you guys could make it up here!
    alisonmade said...
    It's beautiful! I'm not going to be able to resist the Noro much longer . . . .
    Anonymous said...
    Very chic dah-ling!! Love the colors.
    cpurl17 said...
    It's gorgeous! Very grown up in an elegant way. Good job on the shawl pin!!
    Karine said...
    I've been thinking of using Noro yarn and I really like your scarf so I will keep that in mind!
    urbanknitrix said...
    I know that is right! Get your grown woman on then!! Ha!ha! I love the colors, very pretty..
    Sereknitty said...
    Oh ... work it, girl! Both you and the shawl look fabulous!
    TURBOchic said...
    That last picture does it for me- I love it. Very Blige! Oh, and don't let the GW get too out of hand. You are way to fabulous for all that sensibility to show in your knitting, because Stacey=glam.
    Heather said...
    That's lovely! Very GW! Us over thirtys need a few GW pieces, don't we?
    CiCi and CAJtalk said...
    you go gurl.... looking like a GW Diva.. Yay on your first lace!
    chicagopurl said...
    Looking good chica! That was a great idea! It's beautiful!
    tina said...
    FIRST lace project????It is wonderful, you look tres chic!
    diddlinaknits said...
    what a beautiful shawl!!!! and dont you look grown up in it :) Love the colors and the pattern Woohoo!!!
    Zonda said...
    It is beautiful and you look awesome with it on! I got some Aurora while I was there in March. Hmm...good thing I only got 2 skeins! ;)
    Lashell said...
    Great Scarf and great pic!!!! lolol
    Janet Richards said...
    Love it!!!! And you were working it too!

    Beautiful yarn and love the simple, but pretty lace pattern that looks elegent but also shows off the yarn.

    Great job on your first lace project!
    Knitaholictoo said...
    Go on GW, that wrap is beautiful. Makes me want to get my lace knitting on!
    Liz said...
    Oh, soooo glam!!!!
    Cas... said...
    Simply Stunning!
    Anonymous said...
    Oh, that's really pretty! I love those colors...can't go wrong with Noro. Beautiful job!
    Anonymous said...
    Nice glamour shot! Beautifully done!
    Patty said...
    I'm a jean jacket woman myself....but LOVE that shawl instead!
    Connie said...
    Very pretty and don't you love easy 4 row repeat patterns?

    I also love the last diva photo!
    Kamika said...
    Fabulous darling! Just fabulous.
    Anonymous said...
    Beeeyoootiful! Wow wow, I love the pattern and the color on you is perfect :o)
    Deborah said...
    wow, that yarn is beautiful. Love the pictures!
    Macoco said...
    Sometimes it's hard to be a grown woman, but you pull it off so well!
    QueenDBW said...
    You betta WORK!!! Sashay, Shanté!! I love it, love it, love it. If I ever decide to do some lace, I'll go for Noro, no doubt. Now I gotta find my MJB CD....
    Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...
    Beautiful shawl! It looks great on you, and I love the sunglasses photo :D
    Jeanine said...
    OMG. That last pic. You look like a total diva.
    k_purls2 said...
    work it honey! Fabulous!

Post a Comment