Thursday, July 10, 2008

STF: Socks that FIT!

I finally have a pair of socks that fit me!!

I was originally thinking how I have socks that rock (STR) because they actually FIT!!!!!! So I decided to play with the blog title :o)

My needles are still pretty "green" when it comes to sock knitting. This is my 3rd pair ever and the other ones were definitely trial runs! Haha!

I really have been wanting to dig into sock knitting, and as you all know KALs get/keep me motivated!

So I joined in, with tons of other knitters, the Summer of Socks 08 which I am sure you have been seeing everyone's FO's flying around for SOS. You can now include mine! :o)

I actually didn't join the group for the contests, but solely for the motivation in getting me back into knitting socks over the summer, and so far it has helped!

Some of you inquired about the particulars from the silent post, and I was finally able to get in a decent photo day (Hurricane Bertha has been giving us lots of T-storms around here lately) so here are the

~ Project Details ~

Pattern: This is a basic recipe made up by one of the LYS here when I took their class last summer for 2 socks at 1 time toe-up!I call this project "Jane" because it is plain! :o)
I just wanted something to warm my sticks back up to knitting socks again.

Here is a toe-up pattern I would recommend that I discovered while I was working on this pair. Zhenya did a great job of compiling lots of great nuggets of toe-up socks into one document! And she will have a pictorial of it up soon too!

Size: You know learning the anatomy of your foot really helps in making a pair socks that fit you! :o)

I discovered that my foot is 9" long and has an 8" circumference. Understanding where you need to begin the increases for your gusset is very important, as well as when to start your heel!

For me I knitted until about 2.5" from my heel then started the gusset increases where I did 9 rounds.

My "magic" working number for this project on my foot was 44 st. for this particular gauge which was 9 st. per inch!Needles: Speaking of gauge, because I was literally knitting with string ;op

I used a size US2 on the majority of the sock, but switched to US1 for the heel turn and ankle ribbing. And then I switched back to US2s to bind off loosely.

All done on a 32" cord, but highly recommend 40" cord for MLing 2 socks at 1 time!

Yarn: Regia 4-ply in #5072....wish I knew the color name, but have no clue.
Too bad I truly didn't knit these with STR yarn ;o) maybe one day I will have some in my stash to knit up.

I liked the colors of the yarn as they scream summer!

But never want to knit with such fine yarn for socks again! I need some more weight on my needles! Haha!

Cost: I received this yarn last year from Knitter in Queens during one of her rare contests. So these socks are a freebie!! :o) Thanks again Veronica!!

Time: Despite the tiny needles and thin yarn it only took me 10 days from start to finish, and that was with me not working on them each day, as well as me stalling trying to figure out what the heck I was doing for my true measurements so that they will actually fit! :o)What I learned: Try try and try again! Each time you do something you will eventually get better at it! Glad I kept my desire going for socks (not to mention my mini sock stash helped haha)! I have been wanting to do them for a long time now. And plan to crank out some "good" socks now! :o)

Just like on pair #2 (fugly socks) I used the Turkish CO which is very similar to the magic cast-on technique, really depends upon your preference. Since it had been over a year when I did the Turkish CO in a class, I had to brush back up on it and discovered a great quick pictorial of it.

I will say next time I would like to use some reinforcement thread for the toes.

And I am still trying to get the hang of closing "the gap" from the gusset to turning the heel. Thank goodness for variegated yarn! :o)

The other thing I learned was to BO loosely!! Lets just say my left sock is much easier to slide on than my right one! ;op Haha!

I knew I was supposed to BO loosely and surveyed a lot of my knitting pals on how they do it toe-up.
I kept hearing about the whole EZ Sewn BO and after researching that I felt that was way too much work for me! Haha! So I did the ribbed BO loosely...so I thought! ;op

Since I was feeling all warm and fuzzy about my Socks that Fit (STF) I decided to go ahead and give them a Eucalan dunk! (I need to get the new makeover bottle now!)
They really didn't need to be blocked, but hey I wanted to do it just for fun so I could finally put my cute red sock blockers to good use! LOL!

Modifications: Since I was using a generic sock recipe it gives you lots of room to do anything your knitting needles desire!

At first I started doing a ribbing pattern on the foot, but it was looking weird and I feared it was going to be too loose which I also refused to go down another needle size! So I ripped back and went pure stockinette.

I went with the short-row heel turn in the recipe, using a standard reinforcement heel (K1, Sl1). But would have really preferred a more square heel flap than the "V" look that this one shows I have a thing for anklets! And this style is definitely perfect for summer socks.

For the cuffs I used the a garter ridge stitch and according to Elizabeth Zimmerman, in Knitting without Tears, "ribbing is the best stitches for socks, as it is so elastic that it clings to the legs and ankles" :o)
But she also mentions how socks are best made on four needles! Haha! Ba humbug! ;op

Finally, I did go down to US1 on the heel turn and cuff for a close fit, as I did read that in the Sensational Knitted Socks as it is a great book in getting oriented to socks! Thanks again Chan for my book! I have been using it! :o)

Verdict: So glad I gave socks another go and that this pair worked out for me!
I really needed for them to fit to help boost me in the sock-esteem department! :o) Now it is on!

33 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Congratulations! Those are so pretty. Making socks that fit still feels like magic to me. Well done!
    Ally Jay said...
    Very pretty socks, you almost have me convinced to try socks again. I have the yarn, I have the needles, I almost have the motivation especially when you have a toe up pattern. Maybe when Ophelia is reincarnated.
    Adrienne said...
    Go head girl go HEAD!!!! I need to follow your lead and try again lol...well I guess just TRY since I've NEVER done a pair of socks lol.
    cici said...
    You are thorough arn't you..I think you included everything. Are you hooked on socks yet?.They turned out beautifully.. I am still working on my first pair for SOS/08.I hope to be finished real soon:D
    Carmell said...
    cute!. i seriously need to learn how to do 2 socks at a time. theres a LYS... well not local for me that has a class but it is an hour away.
    Cas... said...
    Wow! Another fabulous project completed. I love the color. Your review is so thorough. You are amazing. I am glad you did not give up on socks. Your other pairs looked good to me! But what do I know right? LOL!

    Keep up the good work. I am sure my knitting group will appreciate the detailed review!
    urbanknitrix said...
    They look great. I love anklets too and you picked great colors.
    Wendy said...
    A great pair to get back into knitting socks. I love the colors!
    Stacey said...
    Yah for socks that fit! They look great! It took me several pairs to *love* knitting socks - you should see my disasters! :)
    Blanche Knits in DC said...
    Those are fantastic colors! Can't wait to see the next pair :)
    Michelle B said...
    OH those are sooo pretty! love the colors!
    Jet LeBlanc said...
    GREAT JOB!
    Unknown said...
    Congratulations!!! I love the color. And the fit is PERFECT!
    Twisted Knitter said...
    And they're gorgeous! I knew it was just a matter of time, Stacey :-)

    More socks?
    Melissa Morgan-Oakes said...
    If EZ were alive today, she'd be knitting them 2 at a time (on one long circular needle)...
    Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...
    Yay! So glad they fit you; they look great!! Thanks for all the information you've shared, too. I think that will help me with my first pair :)
    diddlinaknits said...
    YAY!!! so happy for you! i am glad you have some that fit and they look great!
    SissySees said...
    Weeee! They're beautiful. Third time was the charm, huh?
    Still Patrice said...
    whoohooo!! go head on girl
    Anonymous said...
    Hooray for cute socks that fit!!
    WandaWoman said...
    Look at you! Way to go! The socks look great!
    Anonymous said...
    I love ankle socks too! Very pretty colors. Congrats on the fit. Have a great weekend!
    QueenDBW said...
    Look at my knittin' shero..doing it again!! You go girl!!! Now if I could just get some "Act Right" for my sweater....
    Deborah said...
    congrats on your sock accomplishment! As you know I stayed with the same pattern for maybe 5 pairs before I allowed myself to "graduate" to another pattern. I feel more confidant with each pair I knit and so will you!
    Janet Richards said...
    I like the yarn and your socks - I'm so glad they went well for you. To me socks are so fun to knit, and I actually like the "plain" ones the best :)

    And your sock blockers are too cute.

    BTW - did I just read you right - you said "my stash". :) Ha, ha - you are coming over to the dark side :)
    Don said...
    hahahaha @ adrienne once again falling back in the comment section. this is a very competitive comment section i see.

    stacey, i think you just like showing me your legs. *grin*

    ...good look on the socks.
    Tvini said...
    Those look great! I'm going to check out that pattern for the gusset. Nice work!
    Anonymous said...
    Nice, NICE! And the legs are not bad either! Miss ya!
    Reckless Glue said...
    love those greens--great job!
    KimT said...
    great job girl!!!!
    Unknown said...
    Your socks look great! They look like a great fit too. EZ's sewn bind off is my favorite and not as hard as it sounds. Knit a little swatch - 10 stitches or so - and give the sewn bind off a try.

    Thanks for the Ravelry sock recipe link. I've been wanting to try the Eye of Partridge Heel for a while, but still have not. thanks also for the Habu scarf link. I have some Habu "onesies" that would be perfect!
    tina said...
    Good on ya! Great looking socks and not a plain Jane at all!

    They're wonderful!

    big hugs!!!!!!!
    maceknits said...
    Lovely socks! Ready to try Monkey? I feel it's the next step-up from plain janes. Regardless, can't wait to see what you make next!

    Stacey

Post a Comment