Sunday, November 30, 2008

My Ondine Sleeves

I have always wanted to have a knitting accessory that deviated from the normAnd would get a second glance when worn as a laid back flare of style.

Pattern: So I went on a Ravelry hunt for arm warmers that would meet my desires. And the Ondine: Sleeves for a Mermaid were perfect!

It is always interesting to discover the background on why some of the designers name their patterns.

As the pattern indicates Ondine is a land bound water nymph, and was the source of the Little Mermaid folk tales and is also the inspiration for these fish tailed sleeves used as arm warmers.

I luv this pattern! It was well written and easy to follow.

Size/Needles/Time: The pattern gave several sizes and great notes on how to measure your arms for the appropriate size. I started out making the small, but stopped my increases at the x-small size.As usually I knitted these two at a time and used my Harmonies in US7 and US6 on a 40" cord. The pattern recommends a US8, but I went down a size since I know my stitches can be loose, but now looking back it wouldn't have hurt to use US6 for the body.

It took me about a week from start to finish, and that was even with me having realized I messed up the flow of one of the cuffs.

Yarn/Cost: I am sure you all figured out that I used NORO! :o) This is the Silk Garden line in colorway 213The yarn was gifted to me almost a year ago by A Knitter in Queens! Who actually gave me 7 balls in total from a 'give thanks' contest that she did last year. Interesting how things come back full circle :o)

Thanks again Veronica for the great Noro yarn!!

This time I actually tried to tame the stripping that Noro is known for, but as you all may also already know Noro is unpredictable. Afterwhile I just let it flow and stopped focusing on it.

About 2.5 balls of yarn was actually used, and as always I go into this silent panic along the way thinking I will not have enough to finish but always do!

What I learned: That I love these cuffs!! :o)

I liked that they were not the "glove" type arm warmers, as one of my criteria was to have my hands "free". The cuffs are just so flirty and I just love that!!

You know I already mentioned how well written this pattern was so there really wasn't any knitting pains or discoveries this time around.

I will say since I have never knitted a full-blown sweater with sleeves before, that this project was a great prelude to how they should flow in terms of increases, again pretty simple.

Modifications: Not much as stated earlier I started out doing the small size, but stopped after 6 repeats of increases which ended up being the x-small size so I am not really sure if that is considered a true mod ;o) Other than that I knitted according to pattern.

I did re-adjust where my increases/seam would be placed as I wanted them to line up where I originally joined the yarn for the cuffs (underneath the arm).

I will say that after only wearing them for a short time they started to sag. Can you see?So I will need to add some elastic to the upper arm to keep them from inching down. And as far as the yarn relaxing not sure what to do about that, as I would fear to put them in the dryer for a spin and then end up with finger warmers LOL

Verdict: I've always wanted my own knitted “tattoo” arm warmers, and now I made them! Yay!

I actually think of them as my arm "stockings" Haha! And like that they offer variety in my wardrobe, at the same time showing off my knitting (kinda like a walking billboard). These are great arm enhancements!! :o)

35 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    So cute and fun, Stacey! It's such a great little adornment. Love them!
    Anonymous said...
    These are very nice arm warmers. I love the colorways.
    Adrienne said...
    VERY cute! Love the cuffs!!!
    Dave said...
    Very cool idea, and I love the colours. I mean, really, Noro !!

    But, hmmm, do you now need a garter belt for your sleeves? ;-)
    Anonymous said...
    You know, I now think arm warmers are absolutely necessary, even if your wearing a sweater or a coat. I like them peeking out the sleeves and your flared cuffs will have that interesting effect. Make some more please!
    diddlinaknits said...
    Oh super cute-love the cuffs :) you got some knitting mojo going on over there-pass some this way!
    Anonymous said...
    super cute! I love the ruffles on the ends!!
    Zonda said...
    I love them! Bummer on the sagging, but the elastic should help!
    Cas... said...
    Very cute! I can see layering them with a three quarter length sweater. That would looks super cool.

    Another good knitting job. You're working it out and making it look good.

    Keep up the good work!
    SissySees said...
    LOVE the cuffs. Don't know that I'd wear ARM warmers, but I might have to look for a shrug pattern with similar cuffs...
    Sheila said...
    The arm warmers are so pretty and really like the ruffle detail. They would be perfect for all those 3/4 sleeve coats out there.
    Anonymous said...
    I wondered where you'd been. You've just been busting through the Noro stash. I finally broke down and bought a bit myself. But it needs to "cure" for awhile before I use it! Great arm warmers!
    Sereknitty said...
    Very stylin' and cute with the flirty, flared cuff! Also loved your mitts from the previous post ... you're on a roll, girl!
    Knitty Cent said...
    now those turned out so well. a knitter in queens has the BEST giveaways, love her blog. i love how the colors in noro flow on these. i hope the elastic works to keep them up. very cute!!!
    Anonymous said...
    Those are so cute! And look like they could go with so many different tops. Great job!
    tina said...
    They are adorable---- I saw them on Ravelry and enjoyed the in depth peek here.

    Darling and flirty indeed!
    Shameka said...
    Very, very cute!! I absolutely love the color selection.
    Marin (AntiM) said...
    Those are absolutely beautiful! Like legwarmers for your arms. And I think the ruffle adds just the right sassy touch.

    A belated and very public Happy Thanksgiving to you, darlin' girl.
    Anonymous said...
    It's lovely!

    Happy belated thanksgiving to you!
    Mama said...
    LOVE the cuffs!
    Liz said...
    Ooh la la....arm stockings!!! I love them, they look very cool on you!!!
    KnitFloozy said...
    very nice! i will have to try a set of those...
    picperfic said...
    well what a thorough critique of your gorgeous armwarmers! They are beautiful!
    Beverly said...
    You work them sleeves, girl! Maybe a little ribbing in a smaller size needle or a small vein of elasticized yarn in the top to keep the next pair your knit up from sagging? You know you have to make some in other colors so you can match everything you got!!
    Andrea said...
    I love your cuffs. Noro is such an awesome yarn. Love it!!
    Kay-From the Back Yard said...
    Your Noro arm warmers are very cute.

    BTW, I posted the Noro sock pattern you asked about.
    Batty said...
    I love your colorful sleeves, and your manicure too!
    Erssie said...
    Thank you for saying such kind things about my pattern. I mainly followed this link to see how Noro silk garden worked out. Pretty much similar to the SWTC Karaoke I designed this in.

    As for knitting 'sagging', I am afraid it all does after a wear or too whether it be a hat, gloves, socks or arm warmers we stretch it by moving our bodies. No answer to that, other than re-washing and drying or using knitting elastic which I use on most of my arm warmers at the cuffs. I don't recommend knitting it tighter, it just digs in and then still stretches.

    Increases should go on the underside of arm, doesn't matter where you join yarn as you can hide it invisibly but tailoring looks best if not on show.
    Deborah said...
    love those cuffs!
    Ally Jay said...
    Love the flared cuff, they do make them look cute and kinda of flirty but in a sweet way.
    IrishGirlieKnits said...
    Those are gorgeous!! Great job!!
    Anonymous said...
    Really lovely Stacey! Sorry I have been such a slacker, even with my blog gone.
    Octopus Knits said...
    Beautiful! I'm sure a little elastic will do the trick :)
    Anonymous said...
    Absolute Cuteness!!
    BrownBerry said...
    These are super fabulous and so is your hat!!

Post a Comment