Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Brightness in Twilight

Across the nation we all have been experiencing Jack Nip at our toes and noses! :o)

Well I've been trying to keep him away from my fingertips

~ Project Details ~
Pattern: I took notice of this pattern on the Lime & Violet post earlier this month. The cute horseshoe cables and the word "free" hooked me! :o)

These are the Bella's Mittens by Marielle Henault and I immediately went to Ravelry to scope them out, and I kept seeing them being referred to as the "Twilight Mitts"...and I was perplexed as to why....if I only had read the pattern! LOL
Apparently they were designed after the mitts the lead actress wore in the movieI am by no means a Twilight fan, and have no desire to read or watch the movie but love the mitts!

This pattern was VERY well written. I cannot say that enough! Marielle really did a great job on the line by line instructions never keeping you guessing along with a nice variety of pictures. The total opposite from the last pattern I worked up (haha!)

I was pleasantly pleased with this pattern AND it was free?!?! Bonus!!

Size: I just recently read somewhere that mittens are simply hand socks with thumbs! Haha! So true! :o)

These mitts are a one size fit all type pattern (which I normally don't like), but ironically they fit me perfectly! Nice and snug just the way I like it!They are also longer than normal mitts with a great extended cuff. These are considered "arm/elbow length mitts". Even though that was one of the features that attracted me to this pattern, I did shorten mine by one repeat.

Yarn & Cost: The Cascade 220 wool has been sitting in my stash for a couple of years just waiting to come to life!! :o)

I used 2 balls with the yarn held double for thickness, knitting them 2 at 1 time of course! ;o)
This is the very bright Christmas Red in #8895. It has been hard to snap this bright color without my camera freakin' out on capturing the true color (as you may have already noticed). Above is the correct color of red on the mitts.

Time: This was one of those projects I just couldn't put down! :o)
I started them on a Sunday and rushed home each evening after work to knit on them a couple of hours finishing by that Thursday night. I so enjoyed working on them!

Needles: I used my Harmony #8 on the entire mittens on a 47" cord. I truly only needed to be on a 40" cord for the magic looping.

What I learned: This project was not a difficult one, but challenging enough to keep me interested! I enjoyed making the horseshoe cables. I did punk out and used my cable needle ;op But will try and push myself next time to cable without one again so I can sharpen that technique.

I really love only gusset thumbs and was very happy to see that was written in this pattern. I debated about going one needle down on the thumbs but ripped back keeping with the same needle size as it didn't look good to me.

Modifications: There were only a couple of things I modified, and I already mentioned the main one which was to eliminate one of the cable repeats.

I did this by skipping rows 34-38, knitting a regular row before going onto R39 then knitted another regular row by continuing with R40.

Because of my little adjustment I also skipped rows 44-46 which meant that one set of increases for the thumb gusset didn't occur. And I was fine with that just making note of my stitch count on the thumb gusset instructions (picked up a total of 5 sts).

These are totally not blocked yet and plan to dunk them this week (when it warms back up again a bit), since I have already spilled white chocolate coco and apple chi tea on them! ;op

I will also say be sure to knit tight your SSKs and really pay attention to the instructions between rows 75-82 as you have unknit stitches to be moved as the 1st stitch.

Verdict: I highly recommend this pattern!! As I mentioned before it was so well written and for your first pair of mitts (as these were mine) this would be a true thumbs up! They also would make a great pair of fingerless mitts too!

And right now all across the nation we are experiencing a change!
A need to be moving forward together!
Today we have a new President!!

One huge dream realized!!

A glimmer of brightness in the twilight

Continue to BE the Change you want to see in the world! ~ Ghandi

36 Comments:

  1. Adrienne said...
    It REALLY has been cold!! We saw some snow flurries today!!!

    I LOVE the mittens!!!!!!!!!

    You should have SOME Kinda desire to read/watch Twilight. It is AWESOME!!!!!

    Do you think this is something I could do?? No need to get in over my head with the knitting lol. Gotta finish Green Gable first! lol

    Glad you got to knit from your stash!!

    I have NEVER done cables!!!! We gotta fix that!

    They look great! Love em!
    Anonymous said...
    love the cables!
    IrishGirlieKnits said...
    Those are in my queue and they look great!! Fabulous color you picked too!

    And yes, today is going to be a great day!!
    Stacey said...
    Wow, those are gorgeous! I have no interest in the books/movies but I love those mittens.

    And today is a wonderful day! Enjoy it!
    turtlegirl76 said...
    Wow I can't believe you finished them already! They look great!
    Twisted Knitter said...
    Beautiful, beautiful mitts, Stacey! What a great comprehensive entry (you're so good at those too)!

    I totally love the substantial cables!
    Reckless Glue said...
    love those mitts!--been thinkin' about doing those myself :)

    and Canada is Obama-crazy today too...lordy!
    SissySees said...
    LOVE the mitts. I can't stand mittens, but those are so pretty, I'm tempted to put them in my queue.

    It is a great day, but I was just laughing with the Knight's assistant about The Today Show's coverage of the exhaust of a couple of Caddys at the Blair House... Come on!
    urbanknitrix said...
    Love the mittens. The color is gorgeous. Love our nippy weather?
    TURBOchic said...
    Camera freak out: check. You did a good job anyway with the photography, because we all know what a pain in the but that can be...good job on the mitts! Their flashy great!
    Lolly said...
    Isn't this a wonderful day!? I love the mitts with the Obama tee :) (...and if you ever decide to watch it, the Twilight movie is kinda fun...)
    Cas... said...
    Lovely mittens! I like the longer length too! Great job as always. Good review too!

    Love the title too! You've always do though! LOL!

    I've been making hat and scarf sets for the past week. My crochet mojo is on!

    Keep up the good work as always!
    Octopus Knits said...
    For some reason, over here in California it has been unseasonably warm - blah...

    Your mittens are beautiful - what great cables (and the color Christmas Red)!
    Anonymous said...
    Thpse are very pretty! What a day today is! :)
    Jeanine said...
    CUTE mittens!!! LOVE that last pic. Today is a day that will forever be etched in my memory.
    Psyched2Knit said...
    I LOVE the mittens. I'm inspired! Happpy inauguration day!
    Anonymous said...
    The mittens are so cool! And today really made me miss living in DC; I would have been there for sure!
    Michelle B said...
    OH Those are sooo cute! I'm going to add them to my queue now! I wonder what I have in my stash that i could use!!!!

    We watched the inaguration at school today and my kds were really into it and excited! It was fun to see them so into it!
    diddlinaknits said...
    Great Mittens and another great post about your FO. I haven't read the books or seen the movie either but the mitts are great. The mroe i see them the more i want to queue them, like i need any mroe thing to knit ;)
    DeltaPurl said...
    I love cables....super easy
    Karine said...
    PPPPPPPPPUUUUUURRRRRRRTTTTYYYYY!!!!!
    The Crafty One said...
    How did you do them two at a time?
    cici said...
    great post. We all know that your color is RED!. I will have to give these a try. The need for them has been big this year.
    Sheila said...
    Those are awesome mittens.
    Deb said...
    What great mittens! I really enjoy your blog. I love how you share your information & all that you learned along the way.
    Ally Jay said...
    Great project. Bella modelled tham so well in the movie. Yours look pretty funky in the bright red.
    Sereknitty said...
    Nicely done! I have those in my personal queue as well -- if people would just stop having babies, I might get to them!
    Lynette said...
    they're warm and they're RED! i love it. this bitter cold weather just needs to stop now. Heeee!
    Anonymous said...
    Those mitts look warm, warm, warm. With this cold weather, I may need to make some for myself!
    Anonymous said...
    Nothing says "Winter" like bright, red mittens. Nicely done!
    Batty said...
    It's sooo cold! I just went to the grocery store, and my fingers almost froze off on my way back to the car. Those are pretty mittens, but knowing how cold it is outside, they look even more beautiful.

    I'm not a fan of Twilight either. The whole teenage romance/glorified abusive-relationship-with-an-obsessive-stalker doesn't really appeal to me. And I don't want to see the movie or read the books. But those mittens are very pretty.
    WandaWoman said...
    Those mittens are cute, cute, cute! I haven't read Twilight, nor have I desire to either. I've heard a lot of people love them, but either way, the mittens are a cute pattern.
    Knitty Cent said...
    LOVE the photo of you with the Starbucks cup! LOL, I feel ya Twilight ain't nothing but a small thing to me too. Love how the mittens turned out. That color looks fab on ya!
    Anonymous said...
    i absolutely love those in red! i queue'd them up to knit eventually. you know, when i get bored with my current projects. ;-)
    Unknown said...
    OK. I really have to knit those. They look warm and cozy yet really fashionable.
    Unknown said...
    Happy Millenium! Nice mitts. they look like your slippers.

Post a Comment