Sunday, June 07, 2009

Tippy Toe Knitting

Yesterday morning I was able to take a sock class in person with WendyKnits herself! And got the chance to fondle all of her socks that are featured in her book too!Then I happened to look up from my needles and seated right across from me was a blogger pal that I had yet to meet IRL!
Zonda!! :o) We drop each other little blog comment presents from time to time (giggle), but I never really expected to meet her in the flesh Haha!

So I had to get the proper blog photo for the occasion! :o)Told you this has been a great year of no travel and still getting to meet soooo many people!

And not to mention seeing some of my Purl friends again that I had not seen in such a long time!!

Of course with Wendy J. too!! :oD

The sock class was just the push I needed to get back started again in cranking up those teeny tiny needles.

I joined the Ravelry Socks from the Toe Up KAL where each month the group will knit a pattern out of the book! This month is Lacey Rib and it is going very well!! I am excited about it b/c I am loving the colors of this yarn and the easy pattern, not to mention this will be my first "long" pair of socks (I always get antsy and stop at anklets or quarter length socks).

I would recommend this book as there are explicit directions on how to do various toe-up COs with easy to understand directions. I've always been that gurl who loves doing 2AAT toe-up socks as I don't like the mystery not knowing if this sock is going to fit me. More patterns are now considering toe-up in their directions but most are in the traditional top-down approach. So the book is great in providing lots of easy to do options for toe-up patterns along with different heel options too!

The only thing I would say is because it is so cookie cut it doesn't break down how you could adjust the patterns specific to your unique size (i.e. skinny ankles/narrow feet, etc.) and expects you to intuitively understand how socks are designed so the training wheels of the step by step instructions are necessary. Which is exactly what I need right now until I get more comfortable in my sock making skin ;o)

Here is to a great Sunday Sock knitting for me!!

And in the words of WendyKnits SOCK ON!!

24 Comments:

  1. Adrienne said...
    Glad you had a good time! I SOOOO want to learn to knit socks lol maybe one day soon!
    Jada said...
    Looks like a fun class. Your socks are looking good!I like that yarn color!
    Zonda said...
    Hehe..it was great to meet you too! I thought when you walked in there's Stacey, cool! :)
    Sheila said...
    Glad you had a great time and your socks are coming along nicely. You are definitely doing your thang.
    caknitter said...
    I really admire your sock-tenacity. I have yet to tackle a socks...unless you count a christmas stocking, but that was a giant sock, with big needles, unlike the little ones used for a regular knitted sock.
    Sock on!!
    Michelle B said...
    OHH I am so jelous!!! Glad you had a great time!!!
    DeltaPurl said...
    Super jealous
    turtlegirl76 said...
    If you're wanting a sock book to help guide you through custom fit for skinny ankles and whatnot - let's sit down with Cat Bordhi's books sometime and I'll show you how she accommodates for that. =) Wendy's book is a great start though!
    Sereknitty said...
    Girl, you're just moving' on up, aren't you? Look at you pumping out lace socks, now. So impressive!
    IrishGirlieKnits said...
    Looks like you had a great time! And you got to meet Zonda!! Lucky you! Lucky her!!

    I'm a cuff down girl myself, but I've heard great things about Wendy's book! Yay for more socks!
    Knitaholictoo said...
    Wow! Loving that color! I like knitting from the toe up...eh hem, i just can't get to that other sock, LOL. Sock on!
    SissySees said...
    Fun, fun! This no travel thing IS working out well for you, isn't it?!
    cpurl17 said...
    Aw, I'm so jealous of y'all! Looks like a great time!
    diddlinaknits said...
    Ahhh i am so jealous!! :) what a great time and seeing friends is always great.
    I have that book as well and i cant wait to make something from it but i have a couple things that must come first :( its so hard to not want to cast on for something.
    I am glad you had such a great time :)
    Dianne said...
    I'm so very jealous! It looks like you had a great time. I've loving the Socks from the Toe Up book too, and am in the Ravelry KAL. It's so much fun!
    Lorette said...
    Girl, I'm jealous, too! I really need to give toe up another try. Wendy makes it look so easy. Maybe I need to get out of my sock rut and give her book a look.
    Batty said...
    OMG, you got to see Wendy, handle her socks, and you met Zonda? Now that's an incredibly awesome class you went to. What fun!
    Jeanine said...
    Looks like you had a great time. Can't wait to see what you churn out!
    Deb said...
    Oh, you lucky girl you.....

    I love WendyKnits patterns, but I have yet to knit a toe-up sock successfully. :-( So...I hesitate to buy her book.

    It's looks like you had a great & wonderful time, and it looks like a great & wonderful time was had by all!
    tiennie said...
    How very fun!!
    Kelly said...
    Hey man. Thanks for the wedding congrats. It's been such a long time, I thought you forgot about me! That's super cool you got to meet WendyKnits. Man, where's my socks!
    Loren G. said...
    Glad you had a great time knitting toe-up socks. Wendy is scheduled to be in Philly in mid-July and might have to consider taking her classes when she is the special teacher at Loop on South St. I had heard negative remarks about her book, but you have convinced me that it is worth buying. Will go to my LYS on Sunday and hope they have it in stock. I have noticed that many LYS are only ordering books that their customers request considering the economic times. Your socks look incrediable and will wait to see the finish. Great sock knitting!!!!
    moo said...
    These socks are so nifty! Love your slide show! and finally THANKS for checking in with me, Stacey!
    Twisted Knitter said...
    Omigosh - you lucky girl!

    I can tell by your smile you had a GREAT time.

Post a Comment