Thursday, May 24, 2007

Ebony Elite

I am spreading the word!!

Less than a week ago two of my favorite knitters/bloggers Ms. Erica B (http://www.ericabunker.com/) & Adrienne (http://adrienneslittleworld.typepad.com/)
started up an e-group called Ebony Elite for women of color.

It spurred out of Adrienne's experience she had a couple of months ago when she was approached by a woman that said, "I didn't know black people knit". (Details here: http://adrienneslittleworld.typepad.com/a_glimpse_of_me_a_peek_in/2007/03/i_didnt_know_bl.html)
Sadly, Adrienne has not been the first to experience this foolishness! But hopefully will be the LAST!

Since this is very much a MYTH and is spoken out of IGNORANCE Erica & Adrienne have decided "to show and encourage women of color to knit so that there will be no doubt that knitting is NOT just a hobby for ONE race or religion... it's for all people", hence Ebony Elite.

So I am here to SPREAD THE WORD!!! I have been trying to do that for some time now with knitting in public more, starting up Charlotte Purls knit group, and teaching other girl groups how to knit, and just recently my Girl Scout troop! (hence my recent posts, and how timely at that!)

This e-group is not to exclude anyone or to cause controversy but to help support, inspire and recognize women of color in the needle art world! With that being said if you are a woman of color please be sure to click here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ebonyelite/join and join!

This is an exciting thing and I am proud to be a part of the Ebony Elite!

8 Comments:

  1. MrsPurls said...
    Great Advertising!!! I'm so glad I signed up...there is alot of momentum around this and it feels great...
    Adrienne said...
    Aww, thanks for the shout out girl!!!
    Erica Bunker said...
    Thanks Miss Lady!
    Anonymous said...
    Wait...what??? Someone really, seriously said they did not know black people knit? Well, blow me over with a feather! Unbelievable.
    urbanknitrix said...
    Hey, wanted to stop by and say Hi and I am happy I joined as well.
    Anonymous said...
    i didn't know that ebony elite was open to sistahs living outside of alabama!!! props for showing out ebony elite as it's an often 'unspoken of' issue in the world of knitting.
    James said...
    I think it's awesome that you started a blog for knitters of color! I think it's especially great that you are teaching a new generation that it doesn't matter what color you are or where you come from, we can all take pride in the work we do with our hands. I wish y'all the best of luck!
    dulcedosa said...
    I FILED FOR MEMBERSHIP TODAY! YEAH!

Post a Comment