Thursday, January 17, 2008

My Year of the Sock!!

That is what I am declaring for 2008! I plan to really dig into making socks!

Last year I learned about the construction and basics of them, and even made my 1st pair of socks. Dabbled in taking a class to learn how to knit 2 at a time on 1 needle toe-up (loved it!), but some of you remember how that produced some FUGLY socks! ;op

Well I have lots of beautiful sock yarn just stashed over here waiting for me to knit it up and it is about high time!!

I just really want to learn how to make some GOOD socks!

Since I have always been resistant to DPNs, and that being confirmed how I truly do detest them (my 1st pair of baby booties on DPNs did me in).

I insisted on learning how to do socks only on one needle from the very beginning.
I didn't want to have to deal with more needles than I needed to (i.e. DPNs or 2 circ method) at one time.

However, I have been dying for someone to actually make a book that focuses on just that (instead of the magic loop pamphlet ;op) Well someone finally did!!! Yah!!

I got my long awaited book last week in the mail, and had actually ordered it right before Christmas but there was some kind of distribution delay. No matter! It is here!
Ready for me to begin My Year of the Sock!

Here is a peek inside:


Well I have just about everything I need to make this happen...so now there is nothing to it but to do it!! :oD

I also added this book to my library not too long ago
I wish I could tell you how much knowledge I have received from this book...but I have yet to read it! LOL
I just felt that it would be a great resource book to have as I continue to learn what yarns would be best to use as I knit projects, or want to substitute for one in a pattern. Couldn't hurt a bit!

And I recently purchased this book I had on my wish list and have been seeing everywhere!

This will be the new "it" book! ;oD Mark my words! For $12 bucks off of a.mazon I had to drop in my e-basket. Heck I get knit magazines that cost about the same, so not bad for a knit book!

There are 6 preview designs you can see on a.mazon. I have yet to actually flip thru it myself, but everyone keeps telling me I will really like it based on my style.

And next up are a couple of books that I have my eye on since they were just recently released!

Realistic huh? I hope so! I need to flip thru that one! Haha!

And since I just defeated my odds of not staying a seasonal knitter I figured this would be a good one to stay motivated

And then I caught a glimpse of a few books that will be coming out some time this year!
(of course that last one will sell like hotcakes!) Happy Knit Reading! :o)

23 Comments:

  1. Adrienne said...
    Good stuff! I REFUSE to buy another sock book....but let me know how you like that one! LOL
    Carmell said...
    have you been peeping at my wish list!!!! i am defiantly getting the first 3. i don't think i've seen the others though. i figure that knitting 2 socks at once was the only way i was gonna knit some socks!!!
    Sourire11 said...
    Oooh it looks like lots of really great books are coming out this year! That sock one looks awesome - although honestly knitting two at once kind of freaks me out... I think i would screw something up and end up with a giant ball of sock instead of two separate socks...
    Cas... said...
    You will have a pretty extensive collection of knitting books when you are finished! I am certain you will be the knitting queen of North Carolina! LOL!
    Anonymous said...
    Wow, that's a lot of books. When will you have time to knit? ;)
    Anonymous said...
    What about me and two needles and two socks? I have a book, and I guess I need to give it another try...

    Lots of great books there. Can I just give you my password and have you update my wishlist at the same time!? ;)
    Anonymous said...
    i flipped through sensual knits in a bookstore once and i REALLY like it!
    KelInCal said...
    And I thought I bought a lot of knitting books! I want to see your library!

    Let me know how you like the sock book. Looks great! Does it talk about toe-ups in there, too?
    Sheila said...
    What a fabulous lot of books you have. I want a few of them also.
    Renee said...
    I love that jacket on the cover of "Sensual Knits" - I need to move that from my wishlist to my shopping cart!
    tina said...
    What a great post today! Thanks for the book reviews/peeks---- always wonderful. And you beat me to the sock book--- Webs tells me that mine is en route but was sent slow boat or something. It's okay, I'm practicing patience! :)

    As for comments on the books, the book with the bikini? Honey, I am all about that one! I just need about 16 skeins of yarn. For the bottom. hehe!

    Can't wait to hear how your socks are coming along, I know they will be gorgeous!
    Robin said...
    Those are a bunch of great new books - I will have to check those out! I like the new sock book - hope it is everything you've been wanting!!
    CaveGurl said...
    This is going to be my year of sock knitting too! You are such an enabler with all those books. I can't wait to see the Sensual Knits book! I looked up most of the other books you listed and added them to my Wishlist! LOL

    I couldn't find the 2 socks at a time book, where did you get yours?
    Anonymous said...
    Yeah, sock knitting can get addictive. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time & then you'll be making nothing but cute socks!
    diddlinaknits said...
    OHHHHH how can you show me books-i love books-whenever i see one i want it hovers in my mind until i get it. LOL. the sock one looks really good. I can't wait to see your socks and hear how the technique works for you!!
    J.P. said...
    I'm jealous bc my 2 at a time book has not come in yet! I can't wait!
    WandaWoman said...
    Hmm, I hope that sock book helps you get going on socks. I love knitting socks. I want to get Sensual Knits too. It looks to be a good book,
    Don said...
    You are a true knitter.

    Like how a knitter can knit a pair of socks @ the same time. That's cool.
    Mama said...
    Socks are ssssssooooooooo on my list! Have you given that first book an official thumbs-up? I want my first introduction to be a good one - and I don't want to use dps...

    xxx
    Melissa Morgan-Oakes said...
    YAY!!
    Someone had Sensual Knits at work last night but I did not have time to grab it and take a peek. Looked yummy.
    Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...
    That sock book looks great! I'm with you...I don't care for DPNs. I want to learn how to knit socks with the magic loop method.

    The other books look good, too :)
    Knitting it Out in an Urban Zoo said...
    I love my 2 circs, but I do aspire to the single needle method...

    I haven't heard the word fugly for a long time and I LOVE IT, thanks for that laugh.

    Enjoy!
    Janet Richards said...
    Why did you do that? My budget and bookself can't handle any more knitting books. Don't tempt me like that! And I'm looking forward to seeing your socks. Socks are my favorite knitting project of all time. I don't make complicates ones (yet) but I just love the pretty yarn, and portability of them. Knitting perfection!

Post a Comment