Monday, January 21, 2008

Scarf Nouveau 2x!

I have been cranking out lots of scarves over the last week, but with that new twist everyone has been doing and I am loving it! Neckwarmers!

These little cute things have restored my luv in knitting scarves again. They are super fast and oh so chic!

You may have been reading along that the weather here has been a little yucky. Today it is very cold for us starting out the day in the 'teens at 17 degrees, but it is a nice and clear day....just a little nippy for us!

I took some pictures of my F.O.s outside with a willing victim to snap them for me! :o) However, when I came back in, I discovered the best pics for these projects were self-portrait ghet.twa style in the bathroom! ;op

So first up is the companion to my 1st pair of hand knitted gloves!!
~ Project #1 Details ~

Pattern: Renee actually turned me onto this project and the more she made, the more I wanted to do them!! :o)

Before I go any further let me mention that Renee has this fabulous contest for a worthy cause, and she has almost met her goal! Lets help her exceed it!! Please go check the contest out!

Alright, back to our scheduled blog post! :op

This pattern is The Scholar Collar, an impromptu scarf whipped up by Brooklyn Tweed.

It really is just a haphazard pattern that you make up as you go based on the yarn you are using, how wide/long you want it, and the needles you just happen to have that may not be in use! ;op

I must say I am a "follow the pattern by the 'T' kind of gurl" so not having specific instructions frustrated me at first! Haha! But then I realized..."Hey! I am a designer too! And this is my scarf!"....plus it really is a super easy project, so why sweat it, right?!

Size: CO sts: 24 Length: 26" Width: 6.5" (a smidge too wide but it works for me!)

Time: It takes less than 24 hours to make...I had to wait on additional yarn since I ran out from my leftovers on my gloves. Then got sidetracked with gift knitting (more to come about that soon).

Needles: Addis US9

Yarn: I just love this Shinano (discontinued) yarn!Of course, it is NORO with that beautiful subtle self stripping in color #8. This takes less than 1 ball of yarn.

Cost: About $5 bucks. I got two more balls of this yarn in swapping for the Curacao yarn I highlighted sometime back that I realized would not be a good match for the person I intended to use it on.

Notions: $1 for the buttons....I think? Cheap Wal.Mart ones!

What I learned: How to make a one-row button hole!

I pulled out my trusty Vogue Knitting Quick Reference guide and was cranking them out! So easy!

I really liked the one-row method better than the two-row method!

Modifications/Issues: Doesn't even apply here.

As I mentioned you knit it how you want it! This really is a carefree pattern

(told you I had to squeeze in my self-portrait ghet.twa style bathroom pics!)

Verdict: Happy to have a mate for my gloves! Easy mindless knitting and would definitely keep this in my back pocket for any future unisex gift knits!

~Thought I would squeeze in one more nouveau scarf!! :oD
Promise this will be real quick! ~
~ Project #2 Details ~
Pattern: Variation of The Scholar Collar

Size: CO sts: 24 Length: 18.5" (I wanted it a close fit so I did it shorter) Width: 5.5" (could have knocked off a few CO stitches to make it a little bit narrower, but I like how it stands up on me!)

Time: About a few hours! It flew off my needles while watching the Green Bay Packers and Giants play last night....and I don't even do football! Haha! (Dang GB you let me down!!)

Needles: Denise US13

Yarn: I had originally planned to do a yarn p0rn profile on this yarn prior to the F.O. (pictures were taken and everything!).....but yeah time got away from me. It will pop-up as a post this week though ;opThis is Debbie Bliss SoHo in #37512 a deep purple!! It was truly love at 1st sight! Haha!

I call this neckwarmer my "Royal Collar" :o)
She makes me feel regal and of course I luv the eggplant purple. Afterall, the meaning of the color purple is royal ;o)

I doubled the yarn for this project as I wanted it to be "thick". I used about 1.5 balls on this scarf since it was doubled, but you can easily get away with 1 ball.

Cost: $9 bucks for two balls! The yarn was in a 40% off clearance bin at a LYS. I plan to go back to get more!!

Notions: $8 pin I purchased awhile back from a LYS that rarely gets used it! I just happened to remember I had it last night!

What I learned: The one-row buttonhole I mentioned above.

Modifications/Issues: I did make one buttonhole in the center near the CO edge, and can add one at anytime but I am liking the pin for now.

Verdict: I love the thickness of this one and how it hugs my neck. Will definitely be making more!

To honor (the royal) Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on this day,
here is one of my favorite (well known) quotes by him:
"Anybody can be great because anyone can serve"

38 Comments:

  1. Knitaholictoo said...
    Those neckwarmers are cute! I especially luuuuuvvv the purple (my fav color). I think I make a coupla for when I wear v-necks!
    Anonymous said...
    Both are very cute, but I lurve(!) the first one. Sor chic with the buttons. It was 1F when I awoke. Me no likey!
    Adrienne said...
    Very cute girl!!!!!
    Karine said...
    Very cute!
    KelInCal said...
    Love the neck warmers, and the yarn is just so purty!
    Emily said...
    I love the looks of that Debbie Bliss yarn! Great projects.
    Wendy said...
    You are soooo sheik!!! Love the quick niffy knits. Does a knitter good!
    KnittyLynn said...
    Hey those are lovely! That purple one is to die for..so luscious!
    Saadia said...
    Hi, Stacey! I think you're the one who left me that adorable comment on my Xanga. Thanks for reading!
    Anonymous said...
    Great neckwarmers!
    Michelle B said...
    Super cute neck warmers! It would be handy!!! Instead of the scarf flopping around sometimes!
    Still Patrice said...
    very cute! neck warmers are definitely the way to go!
    AND... your eyebrows are ON POINT! lol
    tina said...
    Really cute, tres chic--- and the closures really add a lovely snap!!!!

    Love 'em!!!!!!
    Jada said...
    Those are so cute!!And they look warm too.
    Liz said...
    Loving your scarves!!!! Especially the purple scholar collar. I am coming out of a scarf phase.....expect some pics of sb soon.........!!!!!
    eyeknit said...
    Thanks for your nice comment on our mitten/glove post! I love your first handknitted gloves. They seem to fit you like a --well, you know.
    Anonymous said...
    Very nice! I'd lose them, but they do look chic!
    Anonymous said...
    so how about ya'll got like 50 blogs and i didnt know which one to click on..lol lol wow
    Sourire11 said...
    Wonderful neckwarmers! I love the texture of the first one - awesome yarn/garter stitch combo.
    Debora said...
    I love the colors in The Scholar Collar!
    Renee said...
    Thanks for getting the word out about my blog contest for Big Brothers/Big Sisters! Thanks to your efforts I am well on my way to making my fundraising goal.

    I LOVE the scholar collars! Now I want to make some more!
    Susan said...
    What fabulous neck warmers. Both of them. I love the closure you're using for the purple one!
    diddlinaknits said...
    Love the neckwarmers-especially the purple one-OOOO so yummy and thick and cozy!! and it looks great on you! yay for quick projects :)
    Jeanine said...
    Nice new neckwear! I've always wanted to try that Debbie Bliss.
    KimT said...
    These are cute! I just crocheted my first neckwarmer this weekend with the matching beanie. I loved doing it and it was so quick! I will be posting a pic soon. Great job on yours!
    Sheila said...
    Loving those neckwarmers.. and agree they are very quick and works well with outerwear, without the bulkiness of a long scarf.
    J.P. said...
    I have been looking at that pattern. It looks great on you!
    turtlegirl76 said...
    Nice neckwarmers! Love that you made the most of the yarn you had left from the gloves. It's a great set!
    Knitting it Out in an Urban Zoo said...
    I . Love . That . PURPLE!!!
    Sereknitty said...
    I'm loving the little scarves, too. I just found a free pattern on ravelry for one called Bainbridge Scarf. Check it out ... I may get a head start on my Christmas gifts for next year!
    Anonymous said...
    I love the neckwarmers...they're perfect quickie projects. Love the buttons & pin, too!
    Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...
    Such cute neckwarmers! I love the buttons & pin you used :)
    Nik said...
    I have this yarn that someone spun and gifted to me, and I can't decide whether I want to make the Scholar Collar of Calorimetry (knitty pattern). Maybe I should flip a coin for it.

    Ok, i just flipped for it.

    Scholar Collar is it.
    Don said...
    I like the flavor.
    Deborah said...
    those neck thingies are so addictive aren't they?! I've made more than I'll ever get to wear!
    Francesca said...
    Those are adorable! Now I think I need to knit another something pink...
    Unknown said...
    Everything is lovely! Especially the scholar collar, because it's purple, I think. Great photos too.
    Anonymous said...
    I love both of these. They're really cute! I definitely need to make myself one; I know I've got some Noro lying around that will do the trick. Lovely!

Post a Comment