Monday, August 25, 2008

Phenomenal Ripple

It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
~Maya Angelou~

Let me tell ya....this.skirt has a bounce and swing to it that puts a serious sway in my step when I wear it!! This.skirt makes me feel Phenomenal!!!

~ Project Details ~


Pattern: I LURVE LURVE LURVE this skirt!!!

I flagged it immediately when it came out last year in the Interweave Knits Spring 2007 issue.

It is Indigo Ripples Skirt by Kat Coyle and my first Interweave Knit!!

Can you believe out of all the issues that I have horded, not one of the designs ever ended up on my needles? Haha

For some reason I don't keep the "s" in the name of this pattern as it is plural, but as you can see there are definitely many ripples in it ;op

Size: Okay...so here is where a little bit of a discussion begins.

Let me first start off and state that....I have no waist....I have NO HIPS! Haha!! :oD

With that being said I knew I would be working the XS size........

However, on many notes/comments of other completed skirts it was recommended to CO for the size up so it can hang low on your waist. I did that starting out with a small size....I must of had a "senior moment" as I quickly forgot that I don't have any hips! LOL

That step was really not necessary for me and my waist was really loose on me. Thank goodness for drawstrings!!!
I immediately stopped making increase rounds and knitted a size where the stitch count was 20 stitches less than the XS size....so I call mine an XXS ;o)

Time: 17 whole days during the Beijing Summer Olympics baby!!

I got my gold!!!! An opportunity at the podium and my Ravthlete Badge :o)
Ravelympics was sooooo much fun and the best thing ever to kick me in the butt so I would actually do this project!!

Needles: My lovely Harmonies of course!! (my poor Denise tips have not seen the light of day since these beauties came into my life! Haha)

I went down two needles sizes and used a US4 as that is what I could get gauge on, and I wanted it a bit tighter too.

Cords 24" and 32"

Yarn: It was very different and great to finally use Rowan Denim
I featured the yarn here with all the gory details so be sure to click on the link if you would like to learn more about it (can you tell I am tired! lol).

Cost: $5 a ball and I used 8 of them so the grand total for this skirt was $40 bucks.
But I actually purchased 9 balls so I have an orphan over here and will have to figure out what I am going to do with it.

I could have saved $14 bucks as I discovered the fraternal twin to this yarn cheaper here after I had already ordered it....hmph. It is called Den-M-Nit and only $3.25 a ball!

What I learned: That I knew I would love knitted skirts!

This is a great 1st time skirt project for all the skeptics out there!! And it truly compliments ANY unique shape & size woman! Go and see for yourself over on Ravelry!

I honestly did not learn any new techniques on this project, but the Ravelympics made it a great challenge and served its purpose!! Haha! :o)

However, I did want to learn the overcast method in joining new yarn while you knit/weave in the ends at the same time...but I could never get the hang of the pictorial (and tried this one too).
And one of my Purl buddies tried to show me another way, but was quickly forgotten when I tried to do it on my own! Sigh

I need a video of it!!! Maybe I will pick up this technique next time :o)

Modifications: There was an IR Blog KAL that was great and really helped me out on the majority of my notes with this project!!

Also this ended up being perfect timing as there was a Anthropologie Knits IR KAL going on as well!
That was a great forum to chat back and forth with others who already just did it or was doing the skirt at the same time as me. I made fast Ravelry friends over there as the camaraderie was fab!

Okay....I am just going to make a quick 'knit list' of the modifications I made on MY skirt. It is important to understand that I did this based on MY size and MY height so it may not work for you but could be helpful when you get ready to start your skirt.
As these were questions I had during the progress of my ripple.

  • Drawstring round: Did 3 knit rows instead of 2
  • Increase rounds: Only did first round of increases and stopped after 14 additional sts (from 156 to 170 sts).
  • Lace Pattern divisible by: 14 sts...had to decrease back down to 168 for the lace pattern to work.
  • Check Errata!!
  • Substitute all "sl1, K2tog, psso" for SSSK (easier/faster)
  • Round 25: Did M1L instead of M1R
  • Lace Rows: Only did 36 rounds (should have shorten SS area to lengthen lace a bit)
  • Bind Off: Did the Stretchy BO as the other one was too tedious to me.
  • Crocheted Drawstring: Yarn held doubled on 'G' hook
Other notes:
  • Used 5 balls on the stockinette, 3 balls on lace/binding/drawstring
  • Pre-wash: 17" Stockinette, 7" Lace, 24" Total skirt
  • Post-wash: 14" Stockinette, 7" Lace, 21" Total skirt

Need to get some fray check for my woven ends to ensure things stay put.

Verdict: I LURVE LURVE LURVE this skirt! :oD
Not only does it look good, but it feels good on you too!

I highly recommend giving it a try and even in the fun denim yarn too!!

As I said earlier it looks good on any shape woman, and will make those hesitant about doing knitted skirts a believer!

Since I have been traumatized by the cramming in this project (stockinette-ville!) during Ravelympics...I doubt I will do it again but will so cherish mine!
Especially as it wears out more and gets super comfy like your favorite pair of blue jeans!

I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me!!

42 Comments:

  1. Jada said...
    Girl Girl !!!I love it !!!!I know I can't knit a skirt just yet, but I am going to try and crochet one!You have inspire me!!
    Anonymous said...
    ahhhhh sooky sooky now. You go with your ripples girl. It looks fabulous on you. Congrats all around!
    Adrienne said...
    It looks so good on you girl!!!!! Go head with your Phenomenal self!!!! Now that is SO stuck in my head!!!
    WandaWoman said...
    Whoa dang, that skirt is smokin' hot! It cracks me up that you found out about the elann Den-M-Nit yarn. I really have wanted to try that yarn for awhile. Hmm, might have to break down and get it.

    The skirt looks fabulous on. Go 'head girl, Phenomenally you!
    Erica Bunker said...
    Go head Phenomenal Woman! That skirt looks fabulous on you!
    Don said...
    I didn't read not one word of the post but I looked at each and every picture. Can you ever forgive me? LOL.

    Good morning Stacey. I see you have been taking good care of the legs.

    Good morning Adrienne. You are...*checking watch*...30 minutes late. hahahaha.
    Still Patrice said...
    awwww sexxy sexxy!!! Gurl you better WORK!!! :)

    You look good girl!
    MrsPurls said...
    Gone Girl! I love the skirt! It looks great on you!
    Anonymous said...
    It is lovely! You rock that skirt like nobody's business. Wow!
    Cas... said...
    Phenomenal! That's right gurl! Work that skirt! I am like you with no hips but you make that look pretty sharp! You should be very proud of yourself!

    I am going to my knit/crochet group tonight and I am going to have them read this tonight. They are going to be overwhelmed!
    Carmell said...
    i like this skirt! that is too cute!
    SissySees said...
    You and your skirt are phenomenal! Still don't know about knitting one for me, but outstanding job!
    Blanche Knits in DC said...
    OH my gosh! That looks amazing!!! COngrats! It's a perfect fit as well :)
    urbanknitrix said...
    AWESOME JOB!!! It really looks great on you. I love the color and the fit. Just kudos!!!
    Robin said...
    WOW!!!!! That is fabulous - so flattering, and I love the great poem. I gotta say it fits you PERFECTLY!!!! Knitted skirts are your friend gurl!
    Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...
    Way to go!!! It looks beautiful on you :) I may have to try this pattern sometime!
    Sheila said...
    AWESOME SKIRT it is!! Congrats!
    diddlinaknits said...
    Love it!!! and it looks Phenomenal on you so you go on feeling Phenomenal about yourself!!!
    If i was a skirt wearer-you would have totally made me want to make one but sadly i don't do skirts (or dresses) unless it is like a law for someplace LOL
    Natalie said...
    That skirt is HOT! I saw it in the magazine, drooled a little, thought I might make it, and then promptly forgot. I'm all over it this week! Will make the ass and thighs adjustments and see how it comes out. As someone recently told me - unsolicited mind you - I "got a lot of junk in my trunk". I didn't even know to say to that; I'll let the skirt do the talking for me.
    Karine said...
    So nice! I would never dare make a skirt, I'd need too many darts and adjustments.
    chicagopurl said...
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrllllllllllllllll, workit workit, unnn unnn, workit workit unn unnn unn unnn! beautiful, chica!
    Ms. Lee said...
    I love that skirt. That blue is so rich and pretty! *waving* Hey Phenomenal Stacey!
    Liz said...
    Wow, wow, wow!!!!!! It looks amazing on you. Well done! I love it.
    Anonymous said...
    Amazing!!! I've always been leery of knitted skirts, but you've changed my mind! It looks fabulous on you. Great job! -- now I'm going to look at everyone else's cool skirt. Oh, great way to start off your post, too!
    Jane Prater said...
    Incredibly lovely and flattering.
    I used to keep a copy of the Angelou poem in my gradebook. I'd read it when the job seemed crashing down.
    Anonymous said...
    you are ROCKIN that skirt!! I love how it looks on you.

    i dunno about all that "it'll look good on any shape" stuff. i don't know if a knit skirt would look that good on my ginormous trunk! LOL
    Jeanine said...
    Lady, you are WORKING that Phenomenal Ripple. Congrats on the gold!!!
    Susan said...
    That looks phenomenal! No wonder you got the gold. Only 17 days to boot. Now that's impressive. Gorgeous color, too.
    Michelle B said...
    OMG That skirt is AWESOME!!! And it looks great on you! It is so fab!!! Now I want to make one!!! It is amazing! Great job!!!
    Zonda said...
    Oh I love it and may wanna knit it one day! Looks wonderful on you! (btw, I have no hips either thanks for the mods)
    Emily Scott Banks said...
    GORGEOUS!!! Congratulations! It's truly gorgeous, and you wrote a very wonderful post to go along with it. Thanks for all the notes, and a reminder about a fabulous poem that I hadn't read a a few years...I need to go dig my copy up again.
    KimT said...
    girl you got your blogging mojo back in aces! The skirt is awesome!
    Anonymous said...
    Woohoo! Zexy! Look at you sassing it up!
    Anonymous said...
    Fabulous skirt..! You really have nice comments on your post. Well, keep on the good work. I found the similar designed skirt at Orvis.
    Andrea said...
    Rock it girl!! I'm lovin this skirt. You did a beautiful job.!!
    Me said...
    Love it! It's even better in person.
    Unknown said...
    looks great on you! Great job!
    Ally Jay said...
    Oh my that is one funky fantastic skirt. The colour is so vibrant and I can almost see the swing in the yarn. Well done for gettting it done in the olympics, great focus.
    Monique said...
    You did a great job and it fits you too a T!!!
    BrownBerry said...
    I LOVE it!! YOu said it, it's phenomenal. Color, fit, style - all perfect. I truly appreciate all your project notes too - fantastic! Thank you for sharing with us. :)
    Anonymous said...
    I am so far behind on comments and reads. Stacey, this is wonderful. It looks so good on you. I must say that you keep the most accurate knitting notes! Really, have you thought of pattern writing or design?
    maceknits said...
    HI Stacey! Your skirt looks so nice, it's inspiring. I've been afraid that a knit skirt would stretch out too much and fall down :( I guess if you make it properly, that shouldn't happen!

    Stacey

Post a Comment