Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Summer "Sock"ade

~ Project Details ~

Pattern: Lacy Ribs Socks by Wendy D. Johnson from the Socks from the Toe Up book.

I joined the Ravelry Socks from the Toe Up KAL where each month the group will knit a pattern out of the book (for a prize of course)! Hope I get some more sock fiber goodness from the KAL's random drawing!!

Size: Small

And they are my best fitting socks thus far!! Not to mention my first pair that is full length!! (I typically get antsy and stop at the ankle lol)

Time: Started these the day I took the class with WendyKnits herself and finished up yesterday! So a little over a week (10 days)

The pattern repeats are easy and makes it a fast knit and grows quickly!

Needles: 2US & 1US (on ankles and cuffs) on 40" cord as you know I magic looped 2AAT (2 at a time)

I could have used a US1 on the entire sock but didn't want it to take me forever ;op

Yarn/Cost: I can't believe I received this yarn 2 years ago from one of my swap angels! Boy time really flies!!

Extreme Yarn in the colorway of Sherbert Delight. Actually reminds me of Pink Lemonade...hence "Sock"ade!!

Modifications: They were very minor as I followed this pattern to a tee.

I knitted the toe to a full 2" so that the lace wouldn't reveal my little toes wigglin' all the way home ;o) Haha Didn't realize a lot of knitters prefer that in sock making and now so do I!

On the ankles I switched my needles to US1 as I was concerned of slouching with the stretch of the lace pattern and it worked out just fine (plus I think the ribbing in the entire pattern truly helps with the anti-sag factor).

I also used the same size needle on my cuffs as my ribbing for some reason always gets loose; and they were extended to 1.5" as I wanted to make sure they really hugged my lower calves.

I did a variation of the Russian BO stated in the book called a Stretchy BO (that I picked up a long time ago along the way), which to me is pretty much exactly the same if not the twin version.
So glad my BO was "just right" as they are not strangling me or too loose! Yay!

What I learned: The Judy Magic CO (JMCO - video link) .....well this knitting skill I already knew how to do from making the better bucket hats but never did it on socks before without using another needle as a "provisional" hold so that was different for me.

I truly don't see much difference between the JMCO and my handy dandy Turkish CO. I could argue that learning the Turkish CO is much easier than JMCO (as you gotta remember and figure out which fingers/yarn wrap where). So I still favor the Turkish CO since they pretty much look the same IMO.

I was thrilled to finally do a slip stitch heel from the toe up!! That was my first try at it and I just love the look without having to actually do it top down!! Score!!

Also learned something that it seems like No one ever talks about!!! Picking up those darn W/T (wrap/turns) SEAMLESSLY.

My pick ups were looking great on the "left" side of the heel (showing publicly) but on the "right" side looked a mess!! My wonderful Purl friend Heather helped me solve it by how the stitches were being positioned and then knit both together in the back (Thank You!!!). Mystery Solved!!

Verdict: Really enjoyed knitting the socks and it was great doing this sock as a KAL because it helped me push thru at the very end when I was getting tired of doing the leg (dang you gotta do the pattern all the way around Haha) ;op

Pennie (Extreme Yarn) told me to make something wonderful and I think I got some wonderful "Sock"ade!

31 Comments:

  1. DeltaPurl said...
    Very pretty
    Pennie said...
    OMG They are beautiful, I love to see my dyed yarn on a completed project . . . makes me want to dye more now :) Again, you did a wonderful job - wear them proud!
    Loren Gaffin said...
    Luv the socks. Just received Wendy's book today for the KAL. I know I am late to this KAL, but I have to refresh my memory about toe up socks class I took two years ago. Keep on knitting!!!
    Kay-From the Back Yard said...
    I love the color!!!!
    cpurl17 said...
    Those are SO cute!! And they really do look like pink lemonade for the feet!
    Stacey said...
    Those are so pretty! Nice work!
    Cas... said...
    Super cute as always! I'm very impressed.

    I can see another pair in your near future.

    How often do you wear your hand knit socks? I love your yarns but I always wonder if you wear them often.
    Adrienne said...
    Very cute! I'mma do a pair of socks!! you just watch! LOL
    diddlinaknits said...
    beautiful!!! you did a great job and fast! magic loop, 2aat!!! I am way impressed! You go girl!! Pssst i did cast on for the plain jane toe-ups. Hubby wanted some so i figured the first practice ones can go to him ;)
    Jane Prater said...
    Well, they are gorgeous. Don't feel bad about #1's. Over 60 sts I have to use a #0. It's so tiny. More socks. Keep it up.
    Walden said...
    Lovely! The colorway goes really well with this pattern. I want to learn how to magic loop 2 at a time socks, but I have to get better circular needles first.
    Jada said...
    Those are beautiful Girl! That yarn color just make them really pop! Wonderful job!
    turtlegirl76 said...
    They look fantastic! Yay socks!
    Sereknitty said...
    Really pretty! Love the colour combo with the lace.
    Kelly said...
    Love the colors! Nice and bright!
    Anonymous said...
    Cute! Nice and summery.
    urbanknitrix said...
    I love them!!! Too cute!!
    SissySees said...
    They're simply darling! Very tropical-looking...
    Jeanine said...
    Cute socks!
    smariek said...
    These look like great summer socks!
    Robin said...
    Those are perfect!!! I love the socks. I had become familiar with Pennie's yarn in a previous SP exchange - it's gorgeous, and the resulting socks are knit perfectly.
    Sheila said...
    Super cool socks... makes me wanna pick up my needles and get started on a pair socks.
    Karine said...
    I love socks made in outrageous colours, it's like they become their own neutral :)
    Anonymous said...
    gon girl with your pink lemonade socks chica!

    love them :)
    Heather said...
    Yay! I love them, Stacey! (And I'm so glad I could help.) :-)
    WandaWoman said...
    Look at you, whipping out a pair of socks! Good for you!
    tiennie said...
    Very pretty!
    Knitty Cent said...
    WOW. you better WERK!!! these turned out gorgeous!!!
    Sourire11 said...
    Beautiful socks!!! I'm more of a top down girl myself but with patterns like that I may need to check out that book!
    Monique said...
    You did a great job on those. I like!
    Chelette said...
    LOVE your socks. I wonder how I missed this post. I love the turkish cast on for toe up but I am just in the process of trying the Judy's magic cast on. I absolutely love Wendy's book.

Post a Comment